Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2017, 12:06 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,373,212 times

Advertisements

I hate my dog... am I an *****hole?

I just really don't like him... or dogs in general... but my bf had the dog before he met me. I have never owned a dog and if I were still single, I would never ever get one.

He eats everything. He sh*ts everywhere. I hate waking up early to walk his dumb *****. He never stops barking. Barks all night long and during the day.

Plus we travel a lot and it's a pain to have to always find someone to watch him.

I'm just really not a dog person. Worse is that I pretend to like him for my bf's sake. I REALLY do not like dogs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2017, 12:09 PM

48,519 posts, read 34,833,342 times
I really don't know what to say. Even if I didn't like animals or kids (DH had both when we married) I certainly wouldn't take it out on an innocent.

But direct your anger in the right direction: your BF

Why? Because what you have is an untrained and uncared for pet. A well trained dog does not behave like that. Dogs are eager to please, so this is all on the two of you.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 05-10-2017, 12:16 PM

3,217 posts, read 2,429,872 times
Short answer Yes, won't bother with a long answer because that answer is still Yes.

Old 05-10-2017, 12:18 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,760,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
I hate my dog... am I an *****hole?

I just really don't like him... or dogs in general... but my bf had the dog before he met me. I have never owned a dog and if I were still single, I would never ever get one.

He eats everything. He sh*ts everywhere. I hate waking up early to walk his dumb *****. He never stops barking. Barks all night long and during the day.

Plus we travel a lot and it's a pain to have to always find someone to watch him.

I'm just really not a dog person. Worse is that I pretend to like him for my bf's sake. I REALLY do not like dogs.
Not everyone likes dogs. There is nothing wrong with that but please don't blame the dog for any of the above, it's your BF's fault. The dog is probably barking because it's bored. If the dog has appropriate interaction and exercise, it shouldn't eat everything in sight (assuming it's not a puppy) and it shouldn't bark all the time. If the dog is house trained and is let out or walked an appropriate number of times a day, it shouldn't poop everywhere.

The poor dog sounds like it's very unhappy. It's not the dog's fault. I'm sure if it could choose it would be in a different home. Since it can't you have the responsibility to provide appropriate care for it.

Please talk to your boyfriend about finding a home for the dog where people care about it. He may not care about the dog as much as you think since it sounds like you're the one walking it etc.

However, please don't rehome on craigslist and don't give it away. Very bad things can happen to dogs who are given away especially on craigslist.

Old 05-10-2017, 12:18 PM

1,524 posts, read 1,311,508 times
Find the dog a good home.

Old 05-10-2017, 12:19 PM

5,020 posts, read 7,448,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Even if I didn't like animals or kids I certainly wouldn't take it out on an innocent.

But direct your anger in the right direction: your BF

Why? Because what you have is an untrained and uncared for pet. A well trained dog does not behave like that. Dogs are eager to please, so this is all on the two of you.

You don't like dogs, that's fine - but there's zero excuse to not take care of it properly.
You knew the dog was part of the package.
If you took proper care of the dog - it wouldn't drive you crazy as dogs want nothing more than to please their owners.

Old 05-10-2017, 01:53 PM

965 posts, read 938,689 times
Maybe do something about it? It's your issue for sure.

I don't know know if I know how to link properly. But this sounded like the same ol', same ol'..... sure enough.

Fed up with my dog!

Old 05-10-2017, 01:53 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,397,340 times
This may fit better on the Relationships Forum?

Old 05-10-2017, 01:55 PM

965 posts, read 938,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
This may fit better on the Relationships Forum?

Seriously!

Do people post ridiculous, repetitive, inflammatory stuff to get some kind of count?

Old 05-10-2017, 01:55 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,760,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplepeace View Post
Maybe do something about it? It's your issue for sure.

I don't know know if I know how to link properly. But this sounded like the same ol', same ol'..... sure enough.

Fed up with my dog!
Sigh.

NOTHING will change OP because the dog isn't getting the proper care. If you're working 10-11 hours a day, it's too long for the dog to be crated. Hire a pet sitter to come and walk the dog once a day.

Please do the dog a favor and find it a good home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs