U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2017, 09:08 PM

10,955 posts, read 6,162,859 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praline View Post
What a disgustingly cruel suggestion! Why would you want to see an innocent animal suffer - what does that accomplish? The dog doesn't know he did something that you find unacceptable - he/she is simply behaving like an animal.
True, and not helping the 71 yr old husband working in his yard. He, any kids that come into contact and anyone else that may thereafter pet the dog are also likely to pick up the poison ivy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2017, 09:30 PM

312 posts, read 339,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mschrief View Post
Last night a women who lives in my development was walking her beautiful large Husky. She proceeded to let the dog urinate on my front yard, near a tree and a flower bed. We added an element to our alarm system that alerts us to someone in our yard (not near the street) so we looked out when we heard the alarm and watched the owner allow the pet behavior.

I do not know the owners, but have seen them before in the neighborhood and they seemed pleasant, waving, etc. I posted a mention on our HOA FB page that I thought was improper pet owner behavior and rude.

Of course I was summarily blasted by other residents.

Is it too much to ask that all the hard work my 71 year old husband puts into our yard, restoring it from neglect from the previous owner and spending money on flowers, fertilizer, etc. to think dog walkers would curb their dog and use city-owned grass areas near the street? I don't feel it is asking too much.

The owner responded that, basically, his dog could pee anywhere it wanted, it wasn't something he considered or worried about and that he picks up feces per city rules. I understand that there may be a generational difference of opinion here. He was not totally impolite but his responses as well as other responses had a snarky quality to them.

I just wonder how these people would feel if I deposited about a pint of urine on their front yard and flowers.

Opinions, please.
Get over yourself.

Go live by yourself in the country, or don't live where pets are permitted. Or put up a big fence please, to protect your precious precious yard from others.

Neighbors will be calling you a witch... and that will make for an unpleasant existence. Wait, but you might have your precious yard, urine free... LOL

Old 05-13-2017, 09:46 PM

11,036 posts, read 3,934,497 times
OP is overreacting!

Old 05-13-2017, 09:46 PM

6,060 posts, read 2,789,135 times
as a responsible pet owner, I clean up after my pet.

But if they hit a fire hydrant or a grassed area....all bets are off. I am not going to sop up the urine because your beautiful grass deserves better regard. Rabbits, deer ...birds would also be at fault too....

Don't take an ag class ....you'd be amazed at how the soil is enriched by critters....

Old 05-13-2017, 10:28 PM

468 posts, read 357,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
keep your dog off other people's property !

simple !

I agree with this statement!! People always act so dang entitled....

As from reading all these comments slamming the OP....you all have no RESPECT for other people's property. Its HER "precious" lawn that some of you are trying to control and put what YOU think its ok to do. Its HER property...she has the right to not want somebody's irresponsible behavior to affect it. Stop talking so nasty to her!

Obviously, tons of people don't like animals in their yard if you look at all the reviews for the motion activated sprinklers on amazon. This link here shows almost 1000 people bought the product.....so OP...don't think you are in the wrong about anything you have posted
https://www.amazon.com/Orbit-62100-E.../dp/B009F1R0GC
These motion activated sprinklers say its the "the proven way to protect a 1600 square foot area. When it comes to deer control – as well as control of birds, cats, dogs, skunks, opossums and other similar pests and animals"

So...for all of you who keep saying you can't keep things out of your yard...here it is.

As for being seen as the "grumpy" people who live in that house statements.... so what...let people who do that sort of thing to your yard think that way. Its no big loss...trust me.

Last edited by beckerd2; 05-13-2017 at 10:48 PM..

Old 05-13-2017, 11:28 PM

3,460 posts, read 2,179,101 times
Quote:
Last night a women who lives in my development was walking her beautiful large Husky. She proceeded to let the dog urinate on my front yard, near a tree and a flower bed. We added an element to our alarm system that alerts us to someone in our yard (not near the street) so we looked out when we heard the alarm and watched the owner allow the pet behavior.

I do not know the owners, but have seen them before in the neighborhood and they seemed pleasant, waving, etc. I posted a mention on our HOA FB page that I thought was improper pet owner behavior and rude.

Is it too much to ask that all the hard work my 71 year old husband puts into our yard, restoring it from neglect from the previous owner and spending money on flowers, fertilizer, etc. to think dog walkers would curb their dog and use city-owned grass areas near the street? I don't feel it is asking too much.

The owner responded that, basically, his dog could pee anywhere it wanted, it wasn't something he considered or worried about and that he picks up feces per city rules. I understand that there may be a generational difference of opinion here. He was not totally impolite but his responses as well as other responses had a snarky quality to them.

I just wonder how these people would feel if I deposited about a pint of urine on their front yard and flowers.

Opinions, please.
Sorry this is happening, and I know it must be upsetting to you. I know a guy who went through this exact problem. He fixed it, by putting in a nicely paved decorative walkway on the property in the areas the dogs would pee. Dogs like going in the grass, not the walkway, so the dogs stopped doing it. He's happy with the outcome.

Old 05-13-2017, 11:34 PM

3,460 posts, read 2,179,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveLoveLaugh View Post
Oh please...honestly..there must be far bigger things to worry about than this!
Perhaps, but you decided to waste everyone's time with your posting instead.

Old 05-14-2017, 03:57 AM

1,679 posts, read 2,585,472 times
Quote:

Opinions, please.
No, it is NOT asking too much! At 60 years of age, I have owned multiple LARGE dogs for 35 years (currently have my 5th Doberman and a Collie, and my Pointer/Rottie just passed). In all three homes I have owned, the FIRST THING I ALWAYS DID was put up a large fenced area for them, as their safety and well-being is EVERYTHING to me. They always eliminate there and NEVER on walks. Imagine my shock, having moved into the current home less than a year ago, to find neighbors with their dogs on leash urinating and defecating on my front lawn!!! Just bad manners! Plus it drives my two CRAZY! I don't care if they "clean up" afterward - the scent is there and attracts strays!!! I tried to tell them that and they acted as though I insulted their Mother!!! I don't get it. So since I'm not making any friends with these people, I've decided to draw on the huge ignorance of the populace regarding Dobermans (ALL have been the sweetest pups on earth) and casually mentioned that I can't be responsible if she comes through the screen. That stopped the problem. NOT staying here, so I don't care anymore.

Old 05-14-2017, 06:21 AM

4,315 posts, read 2,486,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
A person would have to decide whether the occasional dog urination near the curb is worth alienating the neighbors and becoming regarded as the old anti-social grumps down the street.

A person simply cannot keep the world out of his yard. Squirrels, cats, occasional dog urination, bugs. Our yards are part of the world. A person can have a major problem with some neighbors. This isn't one of them, IMO.
apples to oranges

If the ..squirrels,cats...........were the neighbor's domestic pets, I would expect them to stay off my property, also.

Old 05-14-2017, 06:25 AM

4,315 posts, read 2,486,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
as a responsible pet owner, I clean up after my pet.

But if they hit a fire hydrant or a grassed area....all bets are off. I am not going to sop up the urine because your beautiful grass deserves better regard. Rabbits, deer ...birds would also be at fault too....

Don't take an ag class ....you'd be amazed at how the soil is enriched by critters....
apples to oranges !

If ..rabbits and deer...are your domestic pets, I would expect you to keep them off my property, also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or