Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2017, 07:45 AM

4,851 posts, read 4,135,534 times

Advertisements

I don't think dog pee is a huge issue, but then I love dogs and walk mine regularly. Poop is another issue altogether.

It seems to me if it REALLY bothers you, put up some small landscaping type fences around those areas. The owners will get the hint.

For me, the bottom line is this dog peed on your flowers once. It probably doesn't pee in the same place every day. In the meantime there are probably very many animals who pee on your flowers regularly. How do you stop that? There could be cats, possums, raccoons, rabbits, squirrels all peeing on your flowers. How do you stop and/or regulate that? IMO it's all nature and isn't that why you wanted the flowers in the first place?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2017, 07:46 AM

4,842 posts, read 3,613,380 times
Most folks in my development do not "walk" their dogs, and I believe this particular owner is honest when he says he picks up his dog's poop. No reason to think otherwise.

His wife was walking the dog (gorgeous Husky) with one of those extendable leashes and allowed the dog to urinate on our lawn and flowers. They are expensive to replace...our grass will die from the urine. Our dog does his potty in the back yard to prevent this (no grass there yet - still a construction zone)....

I certainly would not blame the dog, as he was dependent on his human to act appropriately.

Old 05-12-2017, 07:48 AM

4,842 posts, read 3,613,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raggedjim View Post
Perhaps, in the interest of harmony, you and your husband could plant urine resistant grasses and plants in the areas of concern. It will give you a new project (which is always good) and will show a willingness to live in peace. We can not control the behavior of others, we can only control our reactions.

I think the only other option is a fence (which dogs love to pee on by the way)

An internet search will give you some options.

Good luck, Rg
We have an HOA (and city codes) that would prevent a fence, and the yards must be uniform, no plantings around the perimeter.

I never bother my neighbors in any way - we are very quiet, park in our garage or driveway, etc. We are peace-loving people and bother no one, we are older and perhaps our values are different from others in the development.

Old 05-12-2017, 08:14 AM

3,550 posts, read 3,089,038 times
Plant poison ivy.

Old 05-12-2017, 08:21 AM

3,830 posts, read 6,698,084 times
While I get your point, I feel you are overreacting. How is this any different from a rabbit, squirrel, etc... urinating on your lawn? It isn't like the owner has trained him to go on command and has him go in your yard.

Old 05-12-2017, 08:25 AM

4,596 posts, read 3,254,359 times
Would it be against HOA rules to erect an 8 inch decorative brick wall along the front of your lawn? If you have sidewalks out front, that is.

Old 05-12-2017, 08:47 AM

13,639 posts, read 12,289,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mschrief View Post
Last night a women who lives in my development was walking her beautiful large Husky. She proceeded to let the dog urinate on my front yard, near a tree and a flower bed. We added an element to our alarm system that alerts us to someone in our yard (not near the street) so we looked out when we heard the alarm and watched the owner allow the pet behavior.

I do not know the owners, but have seen them before in the neighborhood and they seemed pleasant, waving, etc. I posted a mention on our HOA FB page that I thought was improper pet owner behavior and rude.

Of course I was summarily blasted by other residents.

Is it too much to ask that all the hard work my 71 year old husband puts into our yard, restoring it from neglect from the previous owner and spending money on flowers, fertilizer, etc. to think dog walkers would curb their dog and use city-owned grass areas near the street? I don't feel it is asking too much.

The owner responded that, basically, his dog could pee anywhere it wanted, it wasn't something he considered or worried about and that he picks up feces per city rules. I understand that there may be a generational difference of opinion here. He was not totally impolite but his responses as well as other responses had a snarky quality to them.

I just wonder how these people would feel if I deposited about a pint of urine on their front yard and flowers.

Opinions, please.
You aren't the first one to voice this opinion, but most dog owners feel its unreasonable. I know I do. The dog will go where it goes. Leaving the dog's crap is another issue. Whether you see them or not, you have bunny rabbits, squirrels, foxes, yotes, deer, etc that appreciate the buffet you put out and don't care where they eliminate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcairngorm View Post
Would it be against HOA rules to erect an 8 inch decorative brick wall along the front of your lawn? If you have sidewalks out front, that is.
A husky would walk right over it.

Old 05-12-2017, 08:56 AM

11,011 posts, read 6,551,742 times
I am surprised by the responses you are getting here, OP. People don't seem to mind urine being poured on their yards or plantings.

I think it is irresponsible and deliberately mean-spirited. The dog owner can take the dog to the city area or undeveloped land to pee. Or let the dog pee at this own house! You are not a designated porta-potty for canines. I always walked my dog to the edge of our development where no one lived. Sagebrush and cactus.

That's really too bad you can't solve it with a low fence. Really weird reactions here, IMO.

Old 05-12-2017, 08:56 AM

21,108 posts, read 13,443,336 times
Yeah controlling a dog peeing is asking too much. Boy dogs, and a girl dog that I had, save their pee to put a little everywhere. That is part of the whole point to their walk. Poo is the only thing that can be controlled via picking up.

Old 05-12-2017, 08:59 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,812,937 times
As a dog walker, I don't see what this has to do with psychology.

You have a neighbor/HOA problem with their dog.

The correct action would have been to write a letter to the HOA. And enclose photos.

They'll get a warning letter, then a fine - assuming the lawn is YOURS and not common area.

Some HOAs include lawns as common area. But the way you write it - sounds like up near your actual HOUSE? How far from the sidewalk was the dog?

If you mow the grass or pay a private landscaper to do so, then it's your lawn. If the HOA landscaper mows it then it's likely in your documents that you don't own it.

It sounds like your lawn is YOURS, not common area since you mentioned it was in deferred maintenance with the previous owner.

If there are no bylaws about dogs then the HOA needs to enact some. Then again, usually the ones which don't permit fences ARE the ones where the HOA owns the lawns.

You need to read your bylaws first. I work in mostly HOA communities and my dogs "go" on the grass by the street and I ask every homeowner what is permissible. SOME have NO grass by the street in which case I allow the dog to go on the lawn 1 foot from the sidewalk. Which is obviously an easement even IF the people think they own every inch of grass in front of their home. (albeit plenty of clients have told me to avoid certain homes where the people are unreasonable about dogs passing by)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs