U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2017, 08:28 PM

865 posts, read 398,941 times

Advertisements

I've never owned one either as a kid or adult. Before having a couple dogs as roommates, I never knew how skillful they are at stealing your heart without you even knowing it was happening

The reason I don't want to get a dog is that I know that I will get too attached. I've heard that it's possible to love a dog or pet too much and make them too dependent on you. I've seen people have to take a few days off work to mourn their pet - that would be me.

Is it possible to be too attached to a pet? I feel for some people it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2017, 08:39 PM

1,733 posts, read 3,588,039 times
I have to admit to not being entirely sure how to approach your post.

It;s hard for me to imagine loving a dog - or any pet - "too much". But for me that means a bond in which both you and your dog are bonded and want to be together. And there is pain when one of the two passes. But if it gets to the point where you are skipping work or whateer to spend time together, well then, yes, that id co-dependent. Whether it is a person or a pet.

To me, I guess that means the old adage, it is better ti have loved and lost than to have ever loved at all.

But yes, you have to keep perspective. Your pet will appreiate that too, in reality.

Old 05-17-2017, 06:51 AM

2,970 posts, read 6,605,182 times
It's heartbreaking to lose a pet and people mourn in different ways. That being said I would much rather have a dog to share my life than not. We adopt a dog or two very soon after our last one has passed as a tribute to the one before, being able to open our hearts and home to another animal in need the best thing we can do.

A dog is dependent upon you for daily needs but it is important for both of you to have other social interactions in your life.

Old 05-17-2017, 06:54 AM

42,203 posts, read 49,740,662 times
You don't want a dog because you might be sad when it dies?

I suppose you'll be foregoing children, marriage, friends, parents, siblings, etc, too?

Old 05-17-2017, 08:18 AM

8,833 posts, read 8,167,425 times
Sounds like you'd be a great dog owner.

Old 05-17-2017, 08:24 AM

246 posts, read 214,984 times
Having had eight dogs in my lifetime and having them pass away, I can say that yes it hurts but the joy they bring while with you is well worth it. Each dog has a different personality and I can not imagine life without furry kisses and the happiness they bring

Old 05-17-2017, 08:29 AM

3,043 posts, read 2,882,659 times
funny, I cannot ever imagine a time in my life when I would not have a dog, unless I end up in a nursing home and have no choice. I retain great memories of dogs who have passed 20 years ago. But unlike a lot of dog lovers, I have never hesitated to "put a dog down" when it becomes apparent that his/her quality of life is no longer good. I've known so many people who let their pets go on for months or longer, obviously in pain, disabled, because they cannot bear to put them down. To me, one of the advantages of being a dog is, not having to suffer endlessly like some people do at the end of their life because the owner can and should end their suffering as soon as it becomes apparent that they no longer show interest in eating, short walks or even human touch - when these things happen, it's time. If you love your pet, you won't let them suffer needlessly. To do so is selfish and weak. But again, I cannot imagine a life without dogs!

Old 05-17-2017, 08:34 AM

6,081 posts, read 7,023,877 times
I am a person who tries to avoid the trauma of loss on many levels. But when you get a pet, you acknowledge at the very beginning that you will live longer than they will. Then you spend all of your time together trying to understand each other, keep each other safe, and enjoy each other's company. When parting eventually comes, you look back with pride and happiness at how accomplished you both were.

Old 05-17-2017, 09:06 AM

1,242 posts, read 724,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A1eutian View Post
I've never owned one either as a kid or adult. Before having a couple dogs as roommates, I never knew how skillful they are at stealing your heart without you even knowing it was happening

The reason I don't want to get a dog is that I know that I will get too attached. I've heard that it's possible to love a dog or pet too much and make them too dependent on you. I've seen people have to take a few days off work to mourn their pet - that would be me.

Is it possible to be too attached to a pet? I feel for some people it is.
Here's my take on what you've asked. This could actually apply to any area of one's life. Take a chance on loving someone as a partner? Take a chance on having children? Take a chance on loving a pet? All of these, to people who have open hearts, are risks. To love someone or some"thing" (animals) means putting yourself out there, and being vulnerable to, at some point, experiencing tremendous loss and heartache. And yet, this is really what life is all about. Taking risk. Loving unconditionally. Being open to pain.

In my opinion, those who avoid taking a risk on love - be it human or animal - are avoiding some of the greatest experiences they will ever have in life. Don't be afraid of love because you might become hurt. Instead, embrace love for all of the beautiful, lifelong wonders it will bring to you. Otherwise, you may be missing out on some of the best times you will ever experience.

Old 05-17-2017, 09:17 AM

11,605 posts, read 5,449,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
I am a person who tries to avoid the trauma of loss on many levels. But when you get a pet, you acknowledge at the very beginning that you will live longer than they will. Then you spend all of your time together trying to understand each other, keep each other safe, and enjoy each other's company. When parting eventually comes, you look back with pride and happiness at how accomplished you both were.
Yes when I fell in love at first sight with pound doggy I looked into her eyes and said you will rip my heart out someday, but let's go have a grand time until then! And we DID have a GRAND time!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or