U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2017, 11:21 AM

3 posts, read 1,399 times

Advertisements

My first post...
I have the sweetest Feist (Yeah, I never heard of that breed either) in the world that we adopted a few years ago from a kill shelter. The biggest problem is that she eats EVERYTHING not nailed down. Believe me, we feed her very well, so she's not hungry. She's sick now probably because of that reason. She was vomiting bile. We took her to the vet yesterday, and he said we were going take the conservative approach. He did blood work and gave her a thorough exam. He gave her an injection and some pills to take home. They called back today and said the bloodwork came back fine except that she has a high white cell count. He told us to stop by today and pick up some antibiotics. Here's the problem. I cannot get her to take the pill. She will not eat anything, not even cheese. She is drinking water, however. Should I be rushing back to the vet today or can this wait till tomorrow? I'd rather the same vet who saw her yesterday look at her again, and he's off today. Right now, she's very lethargic and not eating. She's usually bursting with energy, so it kills me to see her like this! But the vomiting is gone. This whole thing started yesterday morning, so that makes 36 hours with no food. But as I said, she's drinking water. Can this wait till tomorrow morning?

Thanks for looking at this post
Billy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2017, 11:49 AM

3,356 posts, read 2,681,241 times
You should call the vet back, describe your concerns, and ask if they think you should bring her in today or tomorrow.

If they feel it's urgent enough to bring her today, then you should do that, regardless of which vet is on.

Good luck! I googled Feist dog, as I'd never heard of it. Cute! Reminds me a bit of a Basenji, although the article said the Feist is descended from terriers.

Old 05-23-2017, 01:03 PM

4,705 posts, read 10,126,357 times
What would concern me most about what you have posted is the fact you have a very lethargic dog.Does can go quite a few days without eating but a lethargic dog would have me worried enough to get back to the vet today.

My late Dash who was a very active boy and loved eating quit eating which concerned me but what concerned me more was he was very lethargic so I called my vet and he knows me well enough that if I am concerned it probably is something to be concerned about so told me to bring him right in,Turned out he had a stone blocking his bladder and had a bad bladder infection.He was on the verge of going septic. Sepsis is deadly so taking him in saved his life had I waited another day there is a good chance he would have died or had a long expensive stay at the vets, Listen to your gut and call the vet.

Old 05-23-2017, 01:08 PM

If you can not get the dog to take a pill have the vet show you how to give it.

Old 05-23-2017, 01:57 PM

What would concern me most about what you have posted is the fact you have a very lethargic dog.Does can go quite a few days without eating but a lethargic dog would have me worried enough to get back to the vet today.

My late Dash who was a very active boy and loved eating quit eating which concerned me but what concerned me more was he was very lethargic so I called my vet and he knows me well enough that if I am concerned it probably is something to be concerned about so told me to bring him right in,Turned out he had a stone blocking his bladder and had a bad bladder infection.He was on the verge of going septic. Sepsis is deadly so taking him in saved his life had I waited another day there is a good chance he would have died or had a long expensive stay at the vets, Listen to your gut and call the vet.

Old 05-24-2017, 08:27 AM

1,401 posts, read 839,439 times
From what you described, I'd be highly concerned that she may have a blockage caused by something she ate, esp. if her symptoms include lethargy and not willing to ingest anything. Has she gone back to see the vet? If not, and if she's still this way, I'd be rushing her to the nearest emergency clinic.

*That said, I hope it is nothing serious. Best of luck with her.

Old 05-24-2017, 08:31 AM

Moderator cut: cannot insult other posters, read TOS again

Anyway, I called my vet late yesterday and he reassured me that we'd be OK bringing her in today. We still couldn't coax her to eat anything, never mind her pills. HOWEVER, about 30 minutes ago, I tried it again, and she ate a small cookie. That was quickly followed by her pills wrapped in cheese. The vet said as long as she holds down the pills and food, I could give more food in about an hour, albeit very small bits at a time. I just sliced up some small chicken breast cubes which I will promptly give her if she holds down the previous offering. The fact that she's hungry makes me VERY happy. I'm not ashamed to say I was in tears this morning fearing the worst. I myself have a medical condition, and the love and happiness that she and our other dog bring me is the best medicine out there! I realize that she's not out of the woods yet, but this is the best news since Sunday when this all started. Today would have been day 3 without food. That alone will make her weak. As we speak, she's looking at me saying "where's the rest of the food?! I hate not letting her have more, but it's doctor's orders. Thank you again for the quick replies. I will make it a point to contribute anything I can offer on this board.

BTW, I joked about her "breed" earlier. I Googled Feist again and finally found a picture that looks like her. See the link below. This is her...EXACTLY. Like I said, she's the happiest creature on this earth, and in a few hours, I hope to see that again firsthand!

http://www.ronstoessell.org/LRR_2010/sLucy122_2010.jpg

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 05-25-2017 at 08:43 AM..

Old 05-24-2017, 08:48 AM

1,401 posts, read 839,439 times
That's great news! They really are so important to us in our lives, and - just as with children - when something isn't right, we can worry like crazy.

My current dog, when he was around 5-6 months old, managed to sneak into the basement at my sister's house. Unbeknownst to me, sis kept her dog's food stored down there in a bag, but very reachable. When Izzy finally showed up after about 20 minutes of calling and searching for him, he looked like he'd swallowed a basketball. His stomach was swollen to about 4 times the size it should have been, and he looked pretty miserable...he wasn't even walking right. So...panicked rush to the vet as I thought he could have bloat, and after a very long wait, the vet emerged with an x-ray, and she couldn't stop laughing as she pointed out his ginormous stomach. On the x-ray it literally looked like a gumball machine, as Izzy had not chewed one piece of kibble...he'd swallowed them whole. (My sister later found her bag of dog food with an Izzy-snout-sized hole at the very bottom.) We wound up taking many slow walks that evening so his shocked tummy would be able to digest the warehouse of food that he'd decided to take on.

Oh, I'd never heard of a Feist dog either, so I googled it...one site said that this breed is also known as the rat terrier. Very headstrong dogs, very energetic, and very personable! Enjoy your girl, and I may she be feeling 100% back to normal very soon.

Old 05-24-2017, 09:10 AM

Thanks Basset-Luv! Gotta love that name. Gee, I wonder what kind of dog is your preference???!!! Our dog's name is Coco. Yeah, the most common dog name of all, but we didn't want to confuse her with a new name. As mentioned, Coco was rescued from a kill shelter by a wonderful organization called Southern Paws. I couldn't care less what breed she was. The only rules were that my Welsh Terrier would "tolerate" her (he HATES dogs), and that she'd fit thru our dog doors. The latter was easy. Much to our surprise, Ike (the Welshie) was OK with her. We weren't even looking for another dog when my wife saw the adoption fair outside of the gym. By the time the weekend was over, we had Coco. They had to do a background check on us. When they called my neighbor and asked if we were good to our dog, she laughed out loud and told them that "their dogs live better than most people"! Here's a 45-second clip of my babies...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64ANWU7xxM8

Great chatting!!

Old 05-25-2017, 01:49 AM

13,356 posts, read 7,343,654 times
I'm so glad to hear she's doing better. I always hold my breath clicking the updates, hoping for good news. Thanks for letting us know how she's doing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or