Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2017, 07:48 PM

50,276 posts, read 47,032,885 times

Advertisements

Pet "rentals". Don't let these scammers fool you. Read the fine print.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/featu...-renting-a-dog

Pet city scammers, dirtbags in my opinion.

http://kdvr.com/2017/05/23/colorado-...renting-a-dog/

It turns out Stevens had signed a two-year, $2,400 lease with an option to purchase Lucy once the lease expired.

The loan was obtained through Wags Lending, which specializes in pet loans.

"I mean, maybe it's my fault because I didn't read every single detail of the fine print, but when they tell you they're financing something, I just assumed," Stevens said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2017, 09:07 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,020,171 times
Who takes out a loan for a pet? That's another reason to adopt rather then purchase from a pet store. If you cannot afford the outrageous fees they charge, why not go to the city pound and get one for less then $100. Even pure breed rescues are going to cost much less then $2400.

I got my dachshund from a rescue. He was still a puppy, and his adoption fee was $200. I could not imagine paying so much for a dog that I had to take out loans.

Old 05-25-2017, 01:43 AM

19,839 posts, read 12,099,283 times
Insanity. These people are acting on pure emotion and destroying themselves financially. If they can't afford to pay for the dog what are they going to do when it gets sick?

Old 05-25-2017, 04:51 AM

5,654 posts, read 6,215,513 times
WE had a puppy turned over to us at the shelter about a week ago because the woman couldn't afford the payments. I didn't personally see the contract but I understand that the pet store would not take returns but you could give the puppy back if you paid a cancellation fee - which she also couldn't afford. At least in this case the contract allowed a humane way out for someone in this situation - she was permitted to turn the puppy over to a no-kill shelter. We were all flabbergasted. I guess it's not as unusual as we thought.

Really a horrible business. And it supports puppy mills to boot.

Old 05-25-2017, 06:02 AM

3,782 posts, read 4,248,699 times
Not right, and I feel for the dogs. But the people who do this and then say they didn't realize what they were signing (i.e. guy in CO); have at least learned a valuable lesson about reading or having an attorney read whatever you sign. And I do not feel sorry for him; just the dog.

Old 05-25-2017, 07:15 AM

6,560 posts, read 8,391,660 times
He admits he signed a lease agreement, but said employees didn't make it clear what he was doing.

"I'll be honest with you, I didn't read every single line, but I never read anything indicating I was renting a dog," he said.

"I mean, maybe it's my fault because I didn't read every single detail of the fine print, but when they tell you they're financing something, I just assumed," Stevens said.

1.) You bought a puppy from a store.
2.) You had to finance a puppy.
3.) You did not read the agreement.
4.) You signed a legally binding document based on assumptions.

It's pretty terrible that this pet store "rents" puppies but it's definitely his fault for not reading what he was agreeing to.

If people would stop buying puppies from stores, then stores would quit selling/renting them.

Old 05-25-2017, 07:19 AM

2,469 posts, read 3,262,053 times
That is the most stupid thing I've read in a while. Why would someone do that?

and then this line We’re all for going to the shelter and adopting a dog,” Wunderlich answers. “But if a person wants a Chiweenie, they’re not going to go to a shelter and find a Chiweenie.” Oh really?

Old 05-25-2017, 08:07 AM

4,286 posts, read 4,761,312 times
Reason 1,234,000 not to go to a pet store and buy a dog that came from a puppy mill. The dog's parents are kept in disgusting conditions and receive no vet care.

There are many many purebred dogs and mixes like chiweenies in rescue. Pure bred dogs are being killed in shelters daily because there aren't enough homes for them.

You can read more here:

Puppy Mills : The Humane Society of the United States

If you buy a dog from a pet store you are contributing to animal cruelty.

Old 05-25-2017, 11:24 AM

15,546 posts, read 12,020,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dltordj View Post
That is the most stupid thing I've read in a while. Why would someone do that?

and then this line We’re all for going to the shelter and adopting a dog,” Wunderlich answers. “But if a person wants a Chiweenie, they’re not going to go to a shelter and find a Chiweenie.” Oh really?
It used to be that people claimed you can't find pure breeds at a shelter, now they're claiming you can't find mixed breeds either?!

Old 05-25-2017, 11:29 AM

5,021 posts, read 7,449,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
Insanity. These people are acting on pure emotion and destroying themselves financially. If they can't afford to pay for the dog what are they going to do when it gets sick?
Great post!

This is wrong on so many levels.
Once again.. the banks are criminals!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs