U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-10-2017, 07:40 AM
 
2,512 posts, read 1,315,431 times
Reputation: 4606

Advertisements

Another factor are the dog shows. I cringe sometimes when I see what breed won because I know there are going to be a bunch of people looking for one because they like how it looks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-10-2017, 10:04 AM
 
Location: North Idaho
22,546 posts, read 28,479,255 times
Reputation: 43394
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplepeace View Post
........They would be such a perfect match for so many pet owners, but they can't stand the look of them ........
I am a sight hound fan. I've owned four different sight hound breeds and they are only a first dog for a very specific type of person. They must be trained differently than standard breed training or they appear to be untrainable. They can not be bullied. If they are physically abused, it will break their mind. They are only suitable for a specific type of person who will learn how to deal with their slightly different and very un-dog-like temperaments.

You might be the only one in the world that thinks sight hounds are ugly, OP. Everyone who has ever seen any of my sight hounds coos about how gorgeous they are. Even the fellow that thought the Deerhound was a llama was saying how beautiful he was. (OK, maybe there are 5 other people besides you, OP, who don't appreciate grace and aerodynamic design.)

I have know several people whose very first dog was a deerhound and that worked well, but they were people whose lifestyle was suitable to a sight hound and who were able to listen and follow directions about how to raise the dog.

No sight hound can go to a house without a fence or to a family who opens the front door to let the dog out to crap on their neighbor's lawn and expects the dog to eventually come home.

Afghans must be combed out every day, so grooming is intense. Other breeds take anywhere from lots of grooming to very little, but they all need grooming at least once a week.

So, no, generally a sight hound is not a good first dog for a lazy family. They need regular training and lots of exercise on a leash or inside a secure fence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-10-2017, 03:24 PM
 
Location: Santa Barbara CA
4,707 posts, read 10,136,984 times
Reputation: 8525
Default I k

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplepeace View Post
Your post piqued my interest in the silken windhound further (so I have been reading more and they do seem a fit for me). I too love herding breeds best, but I have had whippets on my short list (though I worry about their skin, and cats - though I know some live with them). I also live in a very cold winter area so they would have to wear sweaters 24/7. The size seems perfect to me as well.

How do people react to Daz? Does he sell the breed to friends, or strangers? Those who might have never considered a sighthound? Once I realized I could get them involved in lure coursing,I started to get more serious I hated the thought of a running dog that couldn't have a challenge.

I think sighthounds look very interesting, though they do look so different, that they are not to everyone's taste. They would be such a perfect match for so many pet owners, but they can't stand the look of them (I find that silly, but..... their opinions are their own).

My small dogs (I treat like big dogs) sell big dog people on a least considering a small dog at some point. I wondered if yours opened up any other minds?
%4


People are drawn to Dazzle. Is rare to go walking and not have people stop us to meet him, comment and ask questions about him.He was the first of his breed in town which had people curious, many ask if he is a border collie X greyhound. The 2nd one in town ended up in puppy class with Chaos,so on night one before class when I commented about their puppy being a silken windhound it blew the owners away that I knew. Until I told them I had one at home.

Daz can be aloof at first with some people but other people he walks right up to and wants them to love on him, but he is not pushy about it like Chaos is.Some strangers even get the hound greeting from him which is sort of a howl of happiness .I have a friend that adores him but when we see her he makes her beg for his attention and when she has begged enough he gets that sighthound grin and wiggles over to her for some love.It is a game he plays with her.

He loves the beach, not all of them do so they call the beach loving ones swamp hounds.He can be off leash at some of the local beaches and he will run full speed but does not go far before he circles back around me so he never goes too far.He has a thing about young college girls and if a group of them are sitting on the beach or one is sitting with her boyfriend he will go join them and cuddle up to the girl, so far all of them have fallen in love with him as he is goofy.

As for training he and I went to the same obedience classes as my other dogs and he learned as fast as the other dogs.I have never bullied a dog in training as I have always used positive training.If you do bully a sight hound they will shut down but even Jazz my cattle dog Border collie would shut down if someone bullied her or spoke harshly to her as she was very sensitive.

I would say the big difference in training is sighthounds in general do not like repetition .Unlike a border collie who will do 100 sits or downs if you ask them too sighthounds tend to do about 3 then give you a look that says look I did what you asked if you did not see it that is your fault not mine but I am done. Try to push them they will shut down.

Daz also learned agility and he learned as fast as the herding dogs in class and loved learning the new things but when we had finished a couple rounds of classes and started going to club practice, he got bored and would do 3 or 4 obstacles then go stand on the sidelines with the people and watch me with a look that said "look at that poor lady she does not even have a dog"


He was a hit when we did demos at retirement homes as before the show they got to meet the people and he would pick out his go to person and when he got bored out there he would go join that person and the old folks always got a laugh out of it.I would call him and he would look around then come back out to me do one or two more obstacles then return to his go to person, end of show for him.I never got mad as he would be grinning big time and I knew going into agility this would be an issue.

The breeders at a silken windhound show I went too when I was considering the breed all laughed when I said I wanted to train one to do agility.In the past couple years I have see a few silkens, whippets and even greyhounds compete in agility and do pretty well.


The only issue I have with him around other people is if they are sitting and he likes them he will try to slither very slowly up into their laps and he is a 50 lb dog.

His breeder did an excellent job on temperament as he will be 9 in Aug and he has never really acted aggressive.He does have a little open mouthed grumble he can do that makes Chaos back off when she annoys him too much but I have never worried about him fighting .Took him and Chaos on a pack walk where many of the 100+dogs were reactive.The trainers doing the walk loved his calmness as many of those reactive dogs were able to meet him and not react because he was that calming,

Daz does know stay so if I have to have my front door open , or even the back of the SUV and need walk over to the trash or even a friends car both he and Chaos will stay unless I release them.He is fantastic at leave it too so much so that when a friend gives him a treat he often does not take it until they tell him free take it.

I think the Silken are more bidable then most sighthounds as he does want to please me.I am sure some are much more stubborn then Daz. I think his breeder did an amazing job as she got beautiful, elegant bidable dogs with fantastic temperaments.

He just had a senior check up and my vet says he is in excellent health and appears to be a much younger dog upon a physical .He said he should be the poster dog for healthy senior dogs.Made me very proud.As you can tell I am very happy to own him and do not regret the decision one bit as he is so very easy to own and as I said training him was not difficult either, as long as I did not ask for the same thing over and over again.

From questions people ask I do think meeting him does spark an interest in people.As for looks I think his longer coat wins over people that do not like greyhounds or whippets due to their short coat and often being able to see their skin.As yup do to his black and white coloring and longer coat I understand why people think he is part border collie.His dad was Sable like a collie so people no doubt asked if he was a collie greyhound mix
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-10-2017, 04:10 PM
 
965 posts, read 501,844 times
Reputation: 1895
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashdog View Post
%4


People are drawn to Dazzle. Is rare to go walking and not have people stop us to meet him, comment and ask questions about him.He was the first of his breed in town which had people curious, many ask if he is a border collie X greyhound. The 2nd one in town ended up in puppy class with Chaos,so on night one before class when I commented about their puppy being a silken windhound it blew the owners away that I knew. Until I told them I had one at home.

Daz can be aloof at first with some people but other people he walks right up to and wants them to love on him, but he is not pushy about it like Chaos is.Some strangers even get the hound greeting from him which is sort of a howl of happiness .I have a friend that adores him but when we see her he makes her beg for his attention and when she has begged enough he gets that sighthound grin and wiggles over to her for some love.It is a game he plays with her.

He loves the beach, not all of them do so they call the beach loving ones swamp hounds.He can be off leash at some of the local beaches and he will run full speed but does not go far before he circles back around me so he never goes too far.He has a thing about young college girls and if a group of them are sitting on the beach or one is sitting with her boyfriend he will go join them and cuddle up to the girl, so far all of them have fallen in love with him as he is goofy.

As for training he and I went to the same obedience classes as my other dogs and he learned as fast as the other dogs.I have never bullied a dog in training as I have always used positive training.If you do bully a sight hound they will shut down but even Jazz my cattle dog Border collie would shut down if someone bullied her or spoke harshly to her as she was very sensitive.

I would say the big difference in training is sighthounds in general do not like repetition .Unlike a border collie who will do 100 sits or downs if you ask them too sighthounds tend to do about 3 then give you a look that says look I did what you asked if you did not see it that is your fault not mine but I am done. Try to push them they will shut down.

Daz also learned agility and he learned as fast as the herding dogs in class and loved learning the new things but when we had finished a couple rounds of classes and started going to club practice, he got bored and would do 3 or 4 obstacles then go stand on the sidelines with the people and watch me with a look that said "look at that poor lady she does not even have a dog"


He was a hit when we did demos at retirement homes as before the show they got to meet the people and he would pick out his go to person and when he got bored out there he would go join that person and the old folks always got a laugh out of it.I would call him and he would look around then come back out to me do one or two more obstacles then return to his go to person, end of show for him.I never got mad as he would be grinning big time and I knew going into agility this would be an issue.

The breeders at a silken windhound show I went too when I was considering the breed all laughed when I said I wanted to train one to do agility.In the past couple years I have see a few silkens, whippets and even greyhounds compete in agility and do pretty well.


The only issue I have with him around other people is if they are sitting and he likes them he will try to slither very slowly up into their laps and he is a 50 lb dog.

His breeder did an excellent job on temperament as he will be 9 in Aug and he has never really acted aggressive.He does have a little open mouthed grumble he can do that makes Chaos back off when she annoys him too much but I have never worried about him fighting .Took him and Chaos on a pack walk where many of the 100+dogs were reactive.The trainers doing the walk loved his calmness as many of those reactive dogs were able to meet him and not react because he was that calming,

Daz does know stay so if I have to have my front door open , or even the back of the SUV and need walk over to the trash or even a friends car both he and Chaos will stay unless I release them.He is fantastic at leave it too so much so that when a friend gives him a treat he often does not take it until they tell him free take it.

I think the Silken are more bidable then most sighthounds as he does want to please me.I am sure some are much more stubborn then Daz. I think his breeder did an amazing job as she got beautiful, elegant bidable dogs with fantastic temperaments.

He just had a senior check up and my vet says he is in excellent health and appears to be a much younger dog upon a physical .He said he should be the poster dog for healthy senior dogs.Made me very proud.As you can tell I am very happy to own him and do not regret the decision one bit as he is so very easy to own and as I said training him was not difficult either, as long as I did not ask for the same thing over and over again.

From questions people ask I do think meeting him does spark an interest in people.As for looks I think his longer coat wins over people that do not like greyhounds or whippets due to their short coat and often being able to see their skin.As yup do to his black and white coloring and longer coat I understand why people think he is part border collie.His dad was Sable like a collie so people no doubt asked if he was a collie greyhound mix
Thanks so much for taking the time. I really do love sighthounds, but haven't had just the right situation yet. It would be a few years, so plenty of time to research breeders, etc.... i have started looking some up, so may end I can meet a few in the meantime.
I'm not big on agility, or show obedience, I just like to do things with the dogs for fun. Sounds like you guys have a good time together. I'm glad to hear that he is biddable as well, just a bit would be nice.

I love lure coursing, and trick training (and nosework) though nothing competitive. But now I can travel some, so I would do that for lure coursing, and one of my dogs loves her Nosework (we really have to travel for that too)!

I gave up harsh training about 25-30 years ago, and have had such better relationships with my dogs since. I push them never, really. I listen to them like they listen to me. I want us to figure I out together.

Honestly, I think all of my dogs have been sensitive, even the heeler/heeler mixes. I think once you tune in, you can see they are trying to understand before you even make a peep

Daz sounds a bit like one of my old dogs. My Komondor, who was aloof at first too (except to kids & elderly) but if he chose a person he'd try to haul 90 pounds of himself onto their lap.
I'm ok with stubborn, it is just a little more challenging to figure out how to work around it. Kind of like you explained. Luckily I get bored with repetition before the dogs I have now do. Lol and I would be bored with a dog who wasn't a little bit of work.

My Kom was crazy sensitive, and was so much more obedient than I ever expected from the breed. I knew that I would have to give him a chance to understand why I was asking for something. If I explained it, he would do it not like the heelers who (like bc) just want to do it fast!

Really, thanks a ton. I would love to have people be more open to that personality, and health. But of course it is always a good thing when they don't get too popular. He sounds like a great ambassador of the breed. I think his ears do whatever they want if I remember the pics correctly? I love all the different types of eas I have seen - especially flying nun ears!

The reason I haven't done it previousl is that I thought I wouldn't be happy with a dog that couldn't be off leash. But now I am ok with that for walks, and dog sports help, as well as being more creative!

Last edited by simplepeace; 06-10-2017 at 04:26 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-10-2017, 10:05 PM
 
5,532 posts, read 5,959,426 times
Reputation: 3155
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I am a sight hound fan. I've owned four different sight hound breeds and they are only a first dog for a very specific type of person. They must be trained differently than standard breed training or they appear to be untrainable. They can not be bullied. If they are physically abused, it will break their mind. They are only suitable for a specific type of person who will learn how to deal with their slightly different and very un-dog-like temperaments.

You might be the only one in the world that thinks sight hounds are ugly, OP. Everyone who has ever seen any of my sight hounds coos about how gorgeous they are. Even the fellow that thought the Deerhound was a llama was saying how beautiful he was. (OK, maybe there are 5 other people besides you, OP, who don't appreciate grace and aerodynamic design.)

I have know several people whose very first dog was a deerhound and that worked well, but they were people whose lifestyle was suitable to a sight hound and who were able to listen and follow directions about how to raise the dog.

No sight hound can go to a house without a fence or to a family who opens the front door to let the dog out to crap on their neighbor's lawn and expects the dog to eventually come home.

Afghans must be combed out every day, so grooming is intense. Other breeds take anywhere from lots of grooming to very little, but they all need grooming at least once a week.

So, no, generally a sight hound is not a good first dog for a lazy family. They need regular training and lots of exercise on a leash or inside a secure fence.
Well said. I love sight hounds, but for me it is an acquired taste. I learned to love many breeds I didn't notice (or appreciate) before, due to my ignorance. But I've been attending dog shows for years as well as agility, obedience, etc. and educated myself about the breeds. I also learned to respect the pioneers who created the breeds and their deep understanding of dogs' nature.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-11-2017, 10:20 AM
 
124 posts, read 66,613 times
Reputation: 227
I love sight hounds!! We just have a smaller version Italian Greyhound. Hard to believe she is 10 years old already. I have worked with greyhounds & they made my heart melt.
I agree, sight hounds are not for everyone. When people see Taffy I have heard the words Regal & Beautiful quite a bit. She is leary of people. More of a dog-dog girl. Not by lack of trying, I worked at a doggie daycare for 6 years & she went once a week the whole time. She preferred to see her fur friends, not there owners. My friend has her brother & he is a social butterfly. Yes I agree with you guys. They are sensitive (at least ours is). You are not going to get anywhere if a voice is raised. She is a fast learner.
We have owned minpins for 30 years. Yep another breed not for everyone.
I would post a picture, but can't figure out how to..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2017, 08:22 AM
 
246 posts, read 225,562 times
Reputation: 838
Having had both, I would recommend Labs or Collies. Both are easy to train and love to be with their people. On the smaller side I would not recommend Beagles as they are stubborn and hard to train. Good luck and please check out your local shelter/rescue groups.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2017, 08:49 AM
 
Location: Houston, TX
14,582 posts, read 8,410,326 times
Reputation: 29156
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookspage View Post
Oh I'm not getting a dog! We have a one year old Shih Tzu. He's a doll but the puppy months were rough!

I was thinking about this family who got the Giant Schnauzer as their first dog and my thoughts were just WHY
Because they wanted a Giant Schnauzer. Why are you assuming X or Y breed wouldn't work for a first time owner? It all depends on the family, their goals, and their motivation. Maybe it didn't work for them, but it might work for another family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2017, 12:31 PM
 
Location: Omaha, Nebraska
7,216 posts, read 4,103,941 times
Reputation: 18059
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Because they wanted a Giant Schnauzer. Why are you assuming X or Y breed wouldn't work for a first time owner? It all depends on the family, their goals, and their motivation. Maybe it didn't work for them, but it might work for another family.
Exactly. The OP hasn't said WHY the Schnauzer isn't working out for these first-time owners. Perhaps the problems could have been avoided by choosing a different breed - or perhaps the problems are common to dogs in general, and this family's first pooch should have been a stuffed one. (It's amazing how many people get animals of all sorts without realizing that meeting their needs means WORK. Even animals as easy to keep as betta fish can't be completely neglected.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-26-2018, 11:01 AM
 
42 posts, read 27,076 times
Reputation: 47
The Giant Schnauzer is a fantastic breed. Loyal, happy, protective, goofy, powerful ...but one of the more "intelligent" breeds. Thought of as a "thinking" breed.

I can tell you that is all true. Our GS female Leona, is one year old this month, @75lbs. What a handful, for the first year.

I have owned dogs all my life, but GS was much more work. Right now she is laying in the living room, all by herself, on her "spot" she won't move, until you release her.

They need a full time owner, not crated all day, or left to their own devices...

While Leona was a holy terror, after some formal training, she is a rock star now. I hope the OP would consider a professional trainer, and give the GS, a chance to mature a bit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top