U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2017, 10:16 AM

631 posts, read 1,968,293 times

Advertisements

Good morning everyone,

I'm the proud human of a beautiful Black Mouth Cur (the most perfect pup in the world, in my humble opinion!). She's about 2-years-old and is really calm. However, I know she needs a lot off exercise based on her being bred to hunt.

Right now, rain is on the forecast for the next week, and as my dog hates the rain (she's a rescue from the Baton Rouge floods last year), she can't burn off as much energy outside. Given that, I'm seeking out ways to keep her active indoors.

We play tug of war, practice commands, and play "catch the laser" (she thinks she's a cat), to name a few. Beyond these, what are other good options for indoor games to keep my sweet love active?

Also, if there are any other commands that I should be working on, I'm super interested to hear what they are and how to teach them. She currently does sit, down, both paws, and up. I've been working on teaching her "middle" (to sit between my legs) and "stand".

Thankful for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2017, 10:45 AM

941 posts, read 1,359,843 times
I have a shelter dog that I think may also be Black Mouth Cur (I've done the doggie DNA test but haven't received the results yet). He's awesome. I'm interested to hear the thoughts/opinions of others on how to keep him entertained.

Old 06-01-2017, 10:55 AM

15,980 posts, read 12,744,081 times
I play hide and seek with the doggy or hide treats everywhere and have her search them.

Old 06-01-2017, 11:17 AM

4,707 posts, read 10,141,797 times
I agree with the above hiding treats and have her hunt to find them is a fun indoor activity, I even use bones I have stuffed with food or Kong stuffed with food as then when they find them they have to work to get the treats. Teaching new tricks and having them do random tricks and obedience commands stimulate their brain and helps tire them out faster.

My late Jazz could tire herself out if I gave her an empty cardboard box as she invented her own games with it most were very funny to watch or if she was frustrated she would shred the box which was Ok as the mess was easy to clean up and the boxes free.She was a very smart dog so could get bored and frustrated easily so the boxes kept her entertained and from destroying my thinkings when I was busy.

Old 06-01-2017, 11:42 AM

22,552 posts, read 28,504,136 times
There is a dog training book called 101 Things To Do With A Box or a title very similar to that. You might try that.

Old 06-01-2017, 12:12 PM

9,156 posts, read 8,643,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gv0928 View Post
Right now, rain is on the forecast for the next week, and as my dog hates the rain (she's a rescue from the Baton Rouge floods last year), she can't burn off as much energy outside. Given that, I'm seeking out ways to keep her active indoors.

We play tug of war, practice commands, and play "catch the laser" (she thinks she's a cat), to name a few. Beyond these, what are other good options for indoor games to keep my sweet love active?
Do you live in a two-story house? A friend of mine used to throw a tennis ball over the railing on her second floor, and her dog would run down the stairs, catch the ball, and bring it back. The dog loved doing this. It would go on for lots of throws. My friend's desk was in a room right next to the stairwell, so it was easy for her to do this while she worked or played on the computer.

Old 06-01-2017, 07:08 PM

3,183 posts, read 7,035,643 times
I hide behind doors and stalk them and then they have zoomies from bedroom to bedroom, it's a great way to wear mine out. We only do it upstairs on the carpet otherwise zoomies would lead to crashies.

Old 06-02-2017, 04:16 PM

1,912 posts, read 988,356 times
I have stairs in my house, so I toss a toy down the stairs. My dog brings it back. I toss it again. She goes up and down the stairs I don't know how many times. After a while it wears her out (and she loves it!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or