Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2017, 04:47 PM

10,352 posts, read 7,984,186 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
The reasons they were given up by their owners:
Required too much exercise.
I had a baby.
Too shy.
All incredibly common reasons, and #1 and #3 are the reasons I sometimes think the answer to the common question "What dog breed is the best for an average family?" should be "An African Violet."

Too many people just don't stop to think about how much work even the quietest, most sedate dog actually is before they rush out to get one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2017, 07:26 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
My adopted rescue dogs are all old. We also have a rescue cat, a former foster, who is around 11 years old that no one wanted so we gave him our home.

The reasons they were given up by their owners:
Required too much exercise.
I had a baby.
Too shy.
I told a (now-ex) friend they could go eff themselves and other nice things when they went on Facebook giving their dog away bc they got new wood floors.

Pieces of crap.

Old 06-19-2017, 08:50 AM

4,286 posts, read 4,760,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I told a (now-ex) friend they could go eff themselves and other nice things when they went on Facebook giving their dog away bc they got new wood floors.

Pieces of crap.

Old 06-19-2017, 09:39 AM

2,684 posts, read 2,399,569 times
Quote:

Pieces of crap.
In situations like that, where the doggie parents are ready to give up the dog at the drop of a hat, I believe that the dog would be much better off in a new home anyway. If their wood floors take precedence over the dog, just imagine what else in their lives take precedence over the dog. I can picture that dog being left alone for many many hours during the day, few walks, long trips with kennel stays, poor diet, etc.

When I see a friend trying to give a dog away, my thought is usually "boy I hope they find a new home quickly". I would expect that the new owner will give much, much more attention to the dog than it was getting previously.

I will say this though- I have no animosity towards people who arrange a new home for their dogs. As long as they aren't putting it in a shelter, a loved dog will be a happy dog even if the love is coming from a new family.

In fact, I have a friend who I think should rehome their dog. They made a poor choice in breed selection and it is putting their baby at risk while simultaneously making the dog's life miserable. They have commented that the dog has already shown aggression towards the baby and since the dog weighs nearly 200 lbs, it could kill the baby before the owners would have time to intervene. I wish they would just find a proper home for the dog, but for now they basically lock him up most of the day wherever humans aren't physically present; they can't even take him for a walk at the same time as the baby since the wife/mom can't control the dog on a leash (she's about 100 pounds and he doesn't listen to her). They love both the baby and the dog, but in this case it appears that the two are mutually exclusive.

Old 06-23-2017, 02:19 AM

236 posts, read 259,018 times
The local shelters mostly have pit bulls and chihuahuas. I think the rescue groups take a lot of the more adoptable animals. Since pit bulls are a restricted breed here (not allowed in apartments), nobody who rents here can adopt one, which further reduces their chance of getting adopted. I feel bad for them because it's not their fault they were born pit bulls! They're not my favorite breed but it's pretty sad to see them or any other big dogs looking so depressed that they don't even bother to get up when someone walks by their kennel or howling. Unfortunately, some of them have pretty terrible owners who abuse them and/or don't get them fixed, which leads to more unwanted pit bulls

Also, I know someone who let his chihuahua roam the streets and thought it was hilarious when she got pregnant, but I'm sure he didn't think it was funny when she died from complications after giving birth. People need to spay and neuter their dogs -- that would go a long way in preventing the huge numbers of homeless animals and their senseless deaths!

Last edited by nja2016; 06-23-2017 at 02:35 AM..

Old 06-23-2017, 06:37 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,891,632 times
Quote:

Pieces of crap.
Interesting. I began to get terminally angry at a now-ex friend of mine because he and his partner moved to a townhouse community where they were no longer allowed to keep their dogs. I would never have moved to such a place. It would simply not have been on my list of places to look at, let alone move to. He told me they moved there thinking they would "probably" be able to keep their dogs (not big dogs, btw, nor banned breeds) because there were dogs in the development who had been grandfathered in. But my friends were ordered to get rid of their dogs as soon as they moved in.

The next time my friend and I had a (non-dog related) conflict, I accidentally-on-purpose reacted in a way that ended our friendship.

I got the "You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to stan4 again" window, btw.

Old 06-23-2017, 06:53 AM

14,376 posts, read 18,369,736 times
Quote:
I think this had more to do with the culture and machismo than actual religion. If you catch my drift.

As far as domestication goes, there is no relationship not plan it quite like that between the dog and the human. I think it's more of a coevolution than a domestication.
Yep. There is some decent evidence that humans made their last great evolutionary leap after domesticating the dog. It's the ultimate symbiotic relationship. If you ever do any work with a dog that requires a great deal of interaction like herding or agility, you know that bond has a basis rooted in something deeper than you just happen to feed them their meals. Dogs are our evolutionary puzzle pieces.

Old 06-23-2017, 07:21 AM

10,352 posts, read 7,984,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nja2016 View Post
Since pit bulls are a restricted breed here (not allowed in apartments), nobody who rents here can adopt one, which further reduces their chance of getting adopted.
Municipal breed bans and insurance company restrictions (in addition to the size and weight restrictions many HOAs and landlords commonly impose) are a huge barrier to getting pitties adopted. And it's so unfair to the dogs, many of whom would make lovely pets.

Old 06-23-2017, 12:38 PM

1,179 posts, read 8,710,039 times
It's great to save a life and I'm glad you got him and are happy. Why not post about new dog without pushing your views,you had to know it'd be a can of worms.

It was just earlier this month that an adopted Pit from a rescue / rehab facility attacked an older woman the same day of adoption. The rescue stated that dog wasn't aggressive before, yet the dog was originally surrendered to the pound for biting a child, once pulled adopted out and bit another person which they remained fixated on when the person got away and locked themselves in a room. Adopted out again, attacked and killed (after having shock collar removed that this idiot rescue probably tried to control aggressive tendencies by aversion tactics which can lead to a very dangerous dog).
Reasons like this is (one, not the only reason) why I personally choose to adopt from breeders rather than a shelter / rescue.
This is a breed with reputation and been involved in many attacks and clearly a shady rescue trying to save and adopt out dogs that should be PTS or at minimum dealt with my a professional behaviorist in an experienced home (depending on tendencies). The rescue hid and masked this dogs true issues.

However, I had bad rescue previously, many years back. Not a Pit or molosser. The rescue imo was reputable I blame the lazy foster home partly for misrepresenting the dog and not even putting in any time with the dog. The individual (also involved with the rescue and I think probably even notified the rescue about the issue with the foster home) who transported the dog and had him a couple days before we got him stated she thought the dog probably sat in kennel 24/7 during his foster period. Which I believe to be true, obese dog with long toe nails. The dog was not good with kid, nervous about certain things or movements and other incorrect statements were discovered.

I also went to a sanctuary type rescue that had several dogs with issues, it's inevitable giving previous life and that they were not even in foster but housed similar to shelter/pound it's stressful situation. The issue is a dog with known aggression problems was one dog recommended the dog didn't like loud noises, certain sudden movements, the dog barked and charged when in the loud fence area and was being recommended for home with kids.

So it really isn't a Pit issue and talking with many other dog owners they have adopted different breeds and mutts that have been aggressive and even caused ER visits. Of course, not having a perfect dog isn't usually make or break for a responsible dog owner willing to work with the dog but sometimes serious issues are intentionally kept from potential adopters and that's a really scary thought, I also don't want to support that practice.

I recommend if people want a pet check your shelter and if going to rescue do as much as possible to make sure it is a legit, reputable rescue!
If you want a specific breed from breeder with a higher likelihood of good health and temperament go to a legitimate, responsible breeder. If you're going to support a pet store, mill or byb might as well go to the shelter.

Old 06-23-2017, 02:20 PM

12,477 posts, read 17,791,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by APBT_Samara View Post
It's great to save a life and I'm glad you got him and are happy. Why not post about new dog without pushing your views,you had to know it'd be a can of worms.

it's an important issue-for me and for most animal lovers. No can of worms were opened; most of us can sit here and have a mature back and forth without being snarky. Every topic at CD is going to include varying opinions. You certainly stated yours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs