U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2017, 02:18 PM

3,927 posts, read 2,556,333 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollybygolly View Post
She IS the rescue group. Founder and president, according to her. Only one of the two people I know locally are still involved. So it's just the two of them.
We (my husband, me and 3 other people who got involved and then resigned) are desperately trying to get the local, adoptable dogs out of there. But they are all HWP, so they are hard to place. We are trying to raise funds for their sponsoring. My husband and I have already spent over $2000 over the past few months, trying to help these dogs stuck in this horrible situation.
We've (personally) taken 2 dogs (HWP) and 7 feral puppies from there. 3 puppies are in foster/adopt homes, and we have 4 here at our home.

This is a nightmare
Unfortunately it's not that uncommon for a "rescue" to turn into a hoarding situation. If animal control won't do anything then your options are limited. Maybe contact a local TV station and see if the publicity will make animal control do something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2017, 03:35 PM

12,402 posts, read 7,454,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan123 View Post
Unfortunately it's not that uncommon for a "rescue" to turn into a hoarding situation. If animal control won't do anything then your options are limited. Maybe contact a local TV station and see if the publicity will make animal control do something.
There was a rescue near were I live that got shut down a few months ago. They started off with good intentions, but then just got way over their heads. They also had limited facilities, a lot of dogs were either kept in crates or kept outside in fenced off areas with little to no shelter from the elements. A lot of their dogs would either get sick and die from parvo or were heartworm positive. Except they were keeping over 300 dogs in these conditions.

I agree with contacting a local tv station. If the OP has pictures of the conditions the dogs are kept, share those on social media and with anyone who can help get the word out. Also talk with a local rescue that does take pit bulls, or if there is somewhere like the Humane Society that has an animal cruelty task force that will investigate any reports of animal abuse. The Humane Society of Missouri ended up taking over 100 dogs from the rescue I mentioned, and other shelters/rescue groups in the area coordinated to take more of the dogs.

Old 06-06-2017, 04:34 PM

7,175 posts, read 4,088,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
There was a rescue near were I live that got shut down a few months ago. They started off with good intentions, but then just got way over their heads.
When you think about it, it's a miracle that more rescues don't end up turning into hoarding situations. Successful long-term rescue operations require a peculiar mix of soft-heartedness and ruthless practicality which has to be balanced just right.

Old 06-06-2017, 07:19 PM

468 posts, read 518,180 times
I appreciate the additional responses. This is very difficult for me. I *know* I have to do something to help these poor dogs, but I also know that ultimately the majority of them will end up euthanized if the rescue is closed down.

I keep trying to convince myself that I am 'wrong' about the situation; that this isn't a true "hoarding" situation (because the dogs ARE fed, and most of the time their crates are clean). I am having a very difficult time accepting the fact that 2 people I (thought) I knew and trusted are capable of such cruelty and delusional thinking. I have reached out to them numerous times, but both deny there is any "problem" with the way they are operating the 'rescue'/sanctuary.

I just cannot believe that keeping dogs in crates for more than 20 hours a day is acceptable.

That 2 people caring for what I estimate to be 25-30 dogs (they refuse to confirm how many dogs are there) is adequate, especially when one of the persons has a full-time job outside of the rescue, and has 6 dogs of her own at home.

The last time we left the trailer, one of my favorite little pit bull girls was looking at us through the window as we drove away (her crate was next to the window).

It haunts me still.

Old 06-06-2017, 07:56 PM

3,455 posts, read 2,294,871 times
What a horrible situation. It sounds like your local animal control may be underfunded/overwhelmed. Any SPCA branches in your area? Here in southern NJ, our SPCA has legal authority to investigate situations like the one you describe.

Those poor dogs.

Old 06-06-2017, 07:59 PM

12,402 posts, read 7,454,846 times
Quote:
I appreciate the additional responses. This is very difficult for me. I *know* I have to do something to help these poor dogs, but I also know that ultimately the majority of them will end up euthanized if the rescue is closed down

You could try contacting other shelters and rescue organizations for help, even ones in other states might be able to work with the group in taking control of the dog. If they won't release the dogs to someone else's care, there are ones who will work with the state's department of agriculture to get the dogs away from a hoarding situation. Here, The Humane Society of Missouri has an animal cruelty task force that rescues animals from all over the state that are from hoarding situations or neglected rescues. I looked to see if there was a state wide agency in Florida, but only saw one for Orange County. Maybe give them a call or email for some advice?

Reporting a Pet Issue

Another of the shelters here in Missouri recently went down to Louisiana and rescued 76 dogs, a lot of which were heartworm positive and scheduled to be euthanized.

https://www.strayrescue.org/louisiana76

I would think there are other shelters that have done similiar rescues and wouldn't have a bias against Pitt bulls. It is possible to get these dogs out of a bad situation that won't lead to them all being euthanized, at least not the ones that are adoptable. Even the HW+ dogs could have a chance.

Old 06-06-2017, 08:11 PM

16,025 posts, read 19,571,183 times
Yeah....This doesn't sound like a good situation for these poor dogs. At least in a kennel they can stretch their legs. What are the acceptable guidelines for a dog rescue.....I cannot imagine that this is normal and it certainly isn't humane.

Perhaps you should contact and visit other reputable rescues....or even contact Pit Bulls and Parolees and talk to them and get some leads on who to contact to help these dogs.

Old 06-07-2017, 08:58 AM

3,927 posts, read 2,556,333 times
Quote:
I appreciate the additional responses. This is very difficult for me. I *know* I have to do something to help these poor dogs, but I also know that ultimately the majority of them will end up euthanized if the rescue is closed down.

I keep trying to convince myself that I am 'wrong' about the situation; that this isn't a true "hoarding" situation (because the dogs ARE fed, and most of the time their crates are clean). I am having a very difficult time accepting the fact that 2 people I (thought) I knew and trusted are capable of such cruelty and delusional thinking. I have reached out to them numerous times, but both deny there is any "problem" with the way they are operating the 'rescue'/sanctuary.

I just cannot believe that keeping dogs in crates for more than 20 hours a day is acceptable.

That 2 people caring for what I estimate to be 25-30 dogs (they refuse to confirm how many dogs are there) is adequate, especially when one of the persons has a full-time job outside of the rescue, and has 6 dogs of her own at home.

The last time we left the trailer, one of my favorite little pit bull girls was looking at us through the window as we drove away (her crate was next to the window).

It haunts me still.
It IS hoarding. Thank you for trying to help them. Dogs being crated for that long is not humane. Unfortunately if they are not recognizing the problem there is not much you can do if the media and authorities don't get involved. If they are pulling dogs from local animal control you can contact the local animal control and show them pictures of how the dogs are kept and note how long they are crated. They may stop allowing the "rescue" to pull dogs from the shelter. The other thing you can do is contact REPUTABLE local rescues and see if they have any suggestions. It will also alert them not to send dogs to the hoarders.

Old 06-07-2017, 06:41 PM

13,355 posts, read 7,343,654 times
Molly, you need the help of successful rescue groups and networks. There is a pit bull rescue in central Florida that may know of possible resources. The well established rescues often network and support each other. When the terrible issue of dog dumping became in The Redlands in South Florida my local rescue stepped in and took in 52 dogs in one day and have taken in 200 in the past year and a half just from the Redlands. There are larger rescue groups that may be able to help and you need the support of someone knowledgeable. You may want to find pit bull rescue groups in Florida on Facebook. I know my rescue takes on hw+ dogs (my current foster is hw+) but they only help dogs with good temperaments whether they are pits or chis.

If this hoarder has legal rights to the dogs your hands may be tied until authorities get involved. Reach out on FB to rescue people who have experience with this situation. As Rowan said, it's unfortunately not uncommon in the rescue world. There is a national DNA list.

Old 06-07-2017, 08:14 PM

6,999 posts, read 10,237,008 times
There was this couple in San Antonio several years ago that would offer to take in pets people were trying to give away on Craigslist. They charged a fee and claimed to be a 501(c)(3). They didn't have a valid tax number; I checked with the IRS. They claimed to be registered under a rabbit rescue in another state.

When I called the sheriff's office, the deputy who responded didn't take things seriously and even chuckled at some of my concerns. Several months later, a real rescue found that the property had been abandoned with live and dead dogs. The dead dogs had been shot in the head. The lady who was running this scam said that there was a disease outbreak, so the dogs had to be put down. That's when the sheriff's office started doing a real investigation. I don't know if that lady and her husband were ever charged.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs