Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2017, 09:59 PM

6,915 posts, read 3,950,948 times

Advertisements

I would ask her point-blank what the dog is supposed to be doing as a service dog. I don't know about other disabilities, but I do know with guide dogs for blind people the person receiving one has to show FIRST that they can travel independently with the white cane.

She probably isn't even disabled. This is most likely one of those ESA situations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2017, 05:17 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,214,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
I have severe allergies to dogs. For some reason, I don't seem to be as bad around cats, but dogs really kill me. Like I can't be in the same room with one for more than 5 minutes. I get hives, start wheezing, can't breathe. Its bad.

Most of my friends understand this. But the new girlfriend of a friend of ours has a "service dog" which she insists on bringing with her everywhere. The story is that she got a vest on the internet so she can carry this dog with her into restaurants (its a toy breed of some sort) but who knows, maybe she needs it for something. Anyway, I recently had to tell her she could not bring the dog into the house because of my allergies. She was VERY angry and nasty and said she was "entitled" to have her dog with her. (To which I said, no toots, this is my house, you are entitled to stay outside or put your dog elsewhere.)

So this chick really started complaining to her boyfriend who we have known for years and putting him in the middle. She is welcome to come over without the dog, but refuses to. Its causing a bit of a rift and I feel badly for the guy. But this is my house and it is a dog-free zone.

Any thoughts on how to better handle this?
No. You are doing what you should regarding your own home. Your friend should understand, or he isn't a friend. You are not obligated to entertain his new girlfriend and her dog.

It would be a different story if this were a public place....You'd have no say.

Old 06-07-2017, 06:36 AM

965 posts, read 938,882 times
No need for drama, just say no.

Why does this have to be drama? Be grown up and drop it. This sounds so junior high, minus the now trendy complain about service dogs.... she could be a smoker, drinker, druggie, loud, rude, fill in the blank __________.
Or imagine she wants to bring her service mini donkey, cat or monkey? I would imagine you would say no to those too. It's ok, just say no because it is your house. All of those are still the same situation.

If she were to come it doesn't sound like it would be comfortable anyway.

It sounds like it has nothing to do with the dog but is a power play between the two of you. Why would you want to have anything to do with this woman? You too have choices, you have made one choice, and you can make others (like not being around her at all).

As to the boyfriend, again.... be grown up, not up for discussion. Their business is their own.

I would guess this fits better under nonromantic relationships, not pets. It is not about a pet (as per this "chick").

Old 06-07-2017, 07:18 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 6 days ago)

35,626 posts, read 17,961,729 times
I can't imagine why this caused any kind of rift, except maybe the girlfriend doesn't believe you when you say you have an allergy to dogs.

It's not like you're on a plane or a hotel lobby, where she has equal rights to be there as you do. This is your home.

People can just be unbelievably weird.

Old 06-07-2017, 04:13 PM

1,569 posts, read 1,009,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
I have severe allergies to dogs. For some reason, I don't seem to be as bad around cats, but dogs really kill me. Like I can't be in the same room with one for more than 5 minutes. I get hives, start wheezing, can't breathe. Its bad.

Most of my friends understand this. But the new girlfriend of a friend of ours has a "service dog" which she insists on bringing with her everywhere. The story is that she got a vest on the internet so she can carry this dog with her into restaurants (its a toy breed of some sort) but who knows, maybe she needs it for something. Anyway, I recently had to tell her she could not bring the dog into the house because of my allergies. She was VERY angry and nasty and said she was "entitled" to have her dog with her. (To which I said, no toots, this is my house, you are entitled to stay outside or put your dog elsewhere.)

So this chick really started complaining to her boyfriend who we have known for years and putting him in the middle. She is welcome to come over without the dog, but refuses to. Its causing a bit of a rift and I feel badly for the guy. But this is my house and it is a dog-free zone.

Any thoughts on how to better handle this?
Very simple solution...JUST invite your friend to your home since he is YOUR friend and that is just his gf. Since your friend understands that you are allergic to dogs...then HIS gf should have understood that.How hard can that be???Why can't you just hang out with YOUR friend in YOUR house without that non-understanding gf of his??I don't get that.Also aren't there times where you and your friend can hang out WITHOUT hom bringing her along??To be honest I don't get why your friend is putting up with a very selfish person like her...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs