Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2017, 10:28 AM

910 posts, read 2,331,439 times

Advertisements

I have a pup that's entering his "teen" stage (6 months?), and he's been really hyper with activity lately despite me playing with him. He gets the zoomies. He's eating a chicken based kibble right now, no grain fillers, but he just gets so active at times. I switched his food to chicken and fish based, he didn't seem to like it as much, but he was more somber and not as crazy, but I wonder if it's just because he didn't like his food, and when I switched him back to the old food, his behavior got a little wild again.

Does food/diet really influence that much of behavior? If so, what's a good recommended dog foot that would "calm" a hyper pooch down?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2017, 11:10 AM

15,546 posts, read 12,020,171 times
You already made a thread on this topic just a few days ago.

Do certain foods make dogs more hyper?

Old 06-06-2017, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
You already made a thread on this topic just a few days ago.

Do certain foods make dogs more hyper?
Oh sorry, I'm a member of several forums so I don't remember if I posted on this one. If you're a mod or one of the moderators sees this, please delete or merge the two topics. Thanks!

Old 06-06-2017, 01:17 PM

13,713 posts, read 12,431,964 times
Yes. Its called walking. Three miles a day should be sufficient.

Old 06-06-2017, 01:37 PM

2,509 posts, read 2,496,877 times
He needs more exercise. This is a Shih Tzu right? (correct me if I am wrong!)

Shih Tzus need way more exercise than people think sometimes. A lot of the info on the internet shows them as couch potatoes but they aren't, at least when they are young.

Old 06-06-2017, 01:38 PM

17,302 posts, read 12,245,675 times
Puppies gotta zoom no matter what food.

Old 06-06-2017, 02:12 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,761,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ngrome View Post
I have a pup that's entering his "teen" stage (6 months?), and he's been really hyper with activity lately despite me playing with him. He gets the zoomies. He's eating a chicken based kibble right now, no grain fillers, but he just gets so active at times. I switched his food to chicken and fish based, he didn't seem to like it as much, but he was more somber and not as crazy, but I wonder if it's just because he didn't like his food, and when I switched him back to the old food, his behavior got a little wild again.

Does food/diet really influence that much of behavior? If so, what's a good recommended dog foot that would "calm" a hyper pooch down?
It's not a food issue. The dog is young and needs more exercise.

Old 06-06-2017, 07:49 PM

Ok, thanks, I guess I was spoiled by my first Shih Tzu. She was so docile, although had the zoomies now and then when she was also a pup, for the most part she wasn't as crazy as our new little guy when she was that age. Don't know our second one being male has anything to do with. Time to get a leash.

Old 06-06-2017, 10:45 PM

17,302 posts, read 12,245,675 times
Getting him fixed will help calm him a little bit. But yeah just a stage that they have to grow out of and be exercised through or pay for it in destroyed furniture.

Old 06-07-2017, 04:42 AM

965 posts, read 938,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ngrome View Post
Ok, thanks, I guess I was spoiled by my first Shih Tzu. She was so docile, although had the zoomies now and then when she was also a pup, for the most part she wasn't as crazy as our new little guy when she was that age. Don't know our second one being male has anything to do with. Time to get a leash.
Look into a puppy kindergarten class, and a puppy play group as well. Play group (meet up of dogs of similar size, age, activity level) or an occasional doggy day care would wipe him out, in a good way! The people involved should be able to recommend a good training class (not big box store class) Puppys first obedience class as well.

If he is that "active" he could use a class or 3 you could probably use the class too, since your last dog was so different. You may really enjoy learning with him, as he sounds like a lot of fun, and he may need some challenge. Btw, dog people call that active, not hyper people breed dogs for active.

A lot of pet dogs are often bred to be couch potatoes because so many people prefer a dog that just lays around. I find an active small dog so enjoyable, and easy to exercise with fetch, tug, and tricks, and Nosework.

Lucky you! You get to try out a different type of dog this time around. It brings so much to a relationship when you are both learning to communicate together. Enjoy it, and do try to get involved with training and with others as soon as possible. In the "olden days" 6 months is when you start training, but now training and socializing starts asap. So, the sooner the better.

Often people will tell you that no carb, raw feeding will make dogs less hyper. Ha! My dogs have been raw fed for 15 years, and they all need at least 3 miles a day walking, and/or Nosework, fetch, trick training, or tumbling for hours with each other. They range in size from 90 pounds to 8 pounds.
Btw, grainfree does not equal carb free, so should not make any difference.

Disagree that neutering calms a 6 month old puppy. That is a fallacy, and it doesn't stop bad habits, or create weight gain either.
Training, plus exercise, and not overfeeding take care of those issues.

I am not against neuter, but will never again neuter before the age of 2. I won't derail by adding anything further, there have been many threads in regards to this. I am also sure OP already has a vet that will make recommendations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs