U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2017, 02:48 AM

7,054 posts, read 4,087,933 times

Advertisements

We have CC&Rs that limit to 2 dogs but no HOA for enforcement. So you would reallllly have to **** off neighbors for them to sue you for compliance.

City law does have a hard limit of 3 and will only issue the required license for up to 3.

Our city law is funny on animals. "It is unlawful to keep, harbor or maintain swine or roosters within the city limits of the city of Battle Ground; provided, however, it will be lawful to keep up to three pot-bellied pigs within the city limits."

I guess the pot bellied pig owners have good representation in the city to carve that out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2017, 06:08 AM

2,512 posts, read 2,254,084 times
The city I live in has a max of three dogs unless a kennel permit is obtained, but that requires the neighbors to sign off. The three dog limit is never enforced except by complaints. So those with four or more dogs that are not excessive barkers have no problems (at least never heard of it). However, they will enforce the dog barking laws even on those with one or two dogs. (I know that for a fact since my neighbor has to keep bark collars on his three pit bulls.)

Old 06-10-2017, 06:53 AM

2,027 posts, read 2,278,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
I don't see the point of a HOA when there's actual acreage involved rather than quarter acre lots. If you're spaced out from your neighbors, you don't need a bunch of rules - everyone leaves each other alone.

As long as the properties are fully fenced, I agree. I would love to have that.

Old 06-10-2017, 06:56 AM

2,027 posts, read 2,278,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
We have CC&Rs that limit to 2 dogs but no HOA for enforcement. So you would reallllly have to **** off neighbors for them to sue you for compliance.

City law does have a hard limit of 3 and will only issue the required license for up to 3.

Our city law is funny on animals. "It is unlawful to keep, harbor or maintain swine or roosters within the city limits of the city of Battle Ground; provided, however, it will be lawful to keep up to three pot-bellied pigs within the city limits."

I guess the pot bellied pig owners have good representation in the city to carve that out.
I am pretty lucky-neighbors around us dont let their dogs bark like crazy. We have a very quiet neighborhood. Our HOA does not allow any type of farm animal. I would like to have a couple of hens, but oh well.

I don't know if you all use that Nextdoor site, but a lot of people use that as a way to connect with the neighbors and voice concerns/complaints.

Old 06-10-2017, 11:06 AM

13,780 posts, read 18,685,586 times
I live in a rural area and not one neighbor has anything but chicken and 2 roosters . That is it and most folks have one big dog outside and a lil one inside and no one has a lot of noise going on and I like that . But that being said we don't have an HOA at all and everyone seems to respect everyone else and there are no dirty disgusting properties here , I hope it stays that way until after I sell my house to retire . I wont live here when I retire because the yard is too big to maintain in an older age and the house is bigger than I want with retirement as well . I hope it always stays nice and quiet so whoever buys will know what they are getting .

Old 06-10-2017, 11:39 AM

1,752 posts, read 1,644,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Such a disappointment. We've looked for a couple of months and finally found a house to buy that meets most of our requirements. Nice house, 5 fenced acres, large shop... Negotiation wasn't too bad. Seller drives a hard bargain but he was pleasant and professional to deal with.

But, the HOA rules arrive and there is a three dog limit. We called the association president and were told that any request for an exemption to the three dog limit has always been turned down. So, we cancelled the purchase and we are back out looking again for a place to buy.

Here's the thing though. The association rules originally said dogs and domestic livestock were allowed. Later, there was a board meeting and it was voted to amend the rules to allow 3 dogs and 5 head of domestic livestock.

The only reason I can think of that an association would go in several years later and limit the number of dogs is if they had a great deal of trouble with a resident over their uncontrolled or noisy dogs.

This is precisely why responsible dog people jump all over people who are selfish and inconsiderate about how they maintain their dogs. It is becasue at any moment, if a dog person annoys sufficient neighbors and generates enough complaints, an HOA, or a city, or just about any authority agency can change the rules and limit the number of dogs allowed. Or ban specific breeds, or decide to no longer allow dogs in the parks.

That doesn't happen if all the dog owners keep their dogs confined and off of other people's property, don't allow their dog to bark excessively and make an effort to prevent dog bites. Dog barking and feces left in public are the worst complaints but there are other things that can bring the authorities into play.

Well and fine if they go after the trouble maker, but they don't. They just place blanket bans on everybody.
Having been on an HOA board and a dog lover (currently have 3 rescues, and several fosters over the years) we had three pet removals from problem owners, and actually had to adjust the pet rules because one guy insisted on riding the ragged edges at all times. He had 5 dogs, was single, worked full time plus commute (10 hour days), and the dogs were left in a small fenced yard and word bark for hours at a time. The dogs were a problem because the owner was a bad owner - I liked the dogs, but the barking was awful! It is a long and twisted story, but it took us two years and a lawsuit to correct the problem that affected five direct neighbors and another ten owners in proximity (it was in HI, so the lots are postage stamps, and the set up is akin to apartment or condo living), it became a disclosure issue for the properties around his house and had a direct negative impact on home values. One bad dog owner can really cause problems for the many responsible dog owners out there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
I don't see the point of a HOA when there's actual acreage involved rather than quarter acre lots. If you're spaced out from your neighbors, you don't need a bunch of rules - everyone leaves each other alone.
I swore never again on the HOA, but bought a couple of acres in an HOA. The HOA consists of the 5 owners in the development (so no board), and is more a CCDR, than a HOA, but covers/spells out the maintenance requirements and obligations of a private road used by all owners, and requires minimum of 1200 sq/ft for houses, no more than 3 out buildings per 2 acre lot, and no storage of non working autos outside on the lots. The limits seemed reasonable, and the HOA "board" was essentially all the owners, so we bought. The road maintenance is what really drove the HOA requirement, although perhaps the covenants/deed restrictions could have been limited to a simple road association I suppose...

Old 06-10-2017, 12:17 PM

5,048 posts, read 6,898,532 times
See, I would think that should be upfront...the pet limit. That that five acre area only allows 3 dogs. In my experience, that would be something unusual that should be brought up on the seller's side, more upfront rather than after negotiations.

So you could have some livestock mooing and snorting and neighing, a shop with all those noises that carry across the fields, I guess some roosters included in the livestock which can be annoying to some (although I like them a lot)....but only 3 dogs. I find that odd.

Not that I'm against farm sounds at all...but the waste of time in even looking when there are these unusual restrictions, let alone the rest, is strange.

Hope you find something good soon.

Old 06-11-2017, 08:42 AM

10,205 posts, read 4,782,935 times
I have often thought dog limits were a bit silly. I can have 3 Great Danes if I want but only 3 Chihuahuas? Maybe the better way is to have a total weight limit. One Great Dane = 10 Chihuahuas? LOL.

Old 06-11-2017, 08:51 AM

5,311 posts, read 2,757,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
I have often thought dog limits were a bit silly. I can have 3 Great Danes if I want but only 3 Chihuahuas? Maybe the better way is to have a total weight limit. One Great Dane = 10 Chihuahuas? LOL.
Not in terms of barking.

Old 06-11-2017, 09:04 AM

10,205 posts, read 4,782,935 times
Oh, good point - didn't think of that because my dogs weren't barkers and the ones that were got retrained not to bark more than once or twice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or