Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2017, 10:22 AM

32,632 posts, read 47,964,911 times

Advertisements

Such a disappointment. We've looked for a couple of months and finally found a house to buy that meets most of our requirements. Nice house, 5 fenced acres, large shop... Negotiation wasn't too bad. Seller drives a hard bargain but he was pleasant and professional to deal with.

But, the HOA rules arrive and there is a three dog limit. We called the association president and were told that any request for an exemption to the three dog limit has always been turned down. So, we cancelled the purchase and we are back out looking again for a place to buy.

Here's the thing though. The association rules originally said dogs and domestic livestock were allowed. Later, there was a board meeting and it was voted to amend the rules to allow 3 dogs and 5 head of domestic livestock.

The only reason I can think of that an association would go in several years later and limit the number of dogs is if they had a great deal of trouble with a resident over their uncontrolled or noisy dogs.

This is precisely why responsible dog people jump all over people who are selfish and inconsiderate about how they maintain their dogs. It is becasue at any moment, if a dog person annoys sufficient neighbors and generates enough complaints, an HOA, or a city, or just about any authority agency can change the rules and limit the number of dogs allowed. Or ban specific breeds, or decide to no longer allow dogs in the parks.

That doesn't happen if all the dog owners keep their dogs confined and off of other people's property, don't allow their dog to bark excessively and make an effort to prevent dog bites. Dog barking and feces left in public are the worst complaints but there are other things that can bring the authorities into play.

Well and fine if they go after the trouble maker, but they don't. They just place blanket bans on everybody.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2017, 10:23 AM

32,632 posts, read 47,964,911 times
We did get a bit of a giggle though. The rules are that we could keep five 800 pound pigs but only three dogs.

Sorry, not giving up one of the family dogs.

Last edited by oregonwoodsmoke; 06-09-2017 at 10:46 AM..

Old 06-09-2017, 10:29 AM

30,484 posts, read 16,194,511 times
I like your priorities.

Old 06-09-2017, 10:34 AM

10,352 posts, read 7,976,389 times
It's too bad the association wouldn't compromise and grant you a limited exemption, allowing you to bring in all four of your current dogs with the understanding that when one of them dies it will not be replaced and from that point forward the three-dog rule would apply.

But I couldn't agree with you more when it comes to the way fallout from irresponsible pet ownership affects us all, even those of us whose animals never cause a problem for anyone. I wish there was a real solution to this problem!

Old 06-09-2017, 10:41 AM

5,103 posts, read 8,601,367 times
This may be a blessing in disguise! We have a saying in my group: friends don't let friends buy homes with an HOA.

While the idea of an HOA is good, they can easily go bad when frustrated control freaks take over, and it happens more than you may think.

Look for a place where there aren't so many busy-bodies who care about the number of animals you have.

Old 06-09-2017, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
This may be a blessing in disguise! We have a saying in my group: friends don't let friends buy homes with an HOA.

While the idea of an HOA is good, they can easily go bad when frustrated control freaks take over, and it happens more than you may think.
But the OP's point is that the problem is broader than just HOAs. Municipal governments can and do pass onerous laws that greatly restrict pet ownership (or even ban certain breeds completely) when the citizenry gets aggravated enough by the problems caused by irresponsible pet owners. And not many people live in areas that are rural enough to insure such laws will not be passed in their areas. (Any place where you can buy a house that's sitting on a mere 5 acres is NOT rural!)

Old 06-09-2017, 11:15 AM

5,103 posts, read 8,601,367 times
True! But there are still places where people mind their own business, even if the local government is passing unenforceable laws. It's all about not angering your neighbors if you don't live far enough out to have some distance between them and you.

For example, I'm a ham (amateur radio operator). I have a right to put a big antenna on my roof, but instead I run stealth -- no visible antennas. I'm not in anyone's face with my hobby. If I had several dogs over the "limit," I'd make sure they didn't disturb anyone and keep my property very clean. I'd also find a creative way to license them with different addresses.

It is doable.

Old 06-09-2017, 11:27 AM

Quote:
True! But there are still places where people mind their own business, even if the local government is passing unenforceable laws.
But the laws ARE enforceable, even if your immediate neighbors aren't personally bothered by your animals. All it takes is one person who knows where you live to report you. And when it comes to breed ban laws, the onus is generally on the dog owner to prove his/her pooch is NOT one of the banned breeds (which can be a real issue if the dog in question is a mutt or has no registration papers.) That's the problem.

Old 06-09-2017, 11:40 AM

2,469 posts, read 3,259,553 times
Quote:

Look for a place where there aren't so many busy-bodies who care about the number of animals you have.

Those rules are exactly why I love my HOA. If an exception is made for one, others will want the same. I dont want to live next to anyone with more than 2 dogs.

Old 06-09-2017, 07:27 PM

14,376 posts, read 18,360,681 times
I don't see the point of a HOA when there's actual acreage involved rather than quarter acre lots. If you're spaced out from your neighbors, you don't need a bunch of rules - everyone leaves each other alone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs