Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2017, 12:35 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,736,406 times

Advertisements

No advantage whatsoever.

Old 06-12-2017, 12:50 PM

10,352 posts, read 7,977,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
No advantage whatsoever.
Absolutely false (as other posters have already pointed out). PREDICTABILITY (of physical attributes, working ability, temperament, and possible health issues) is the advantage of purebreds. Not everyone needs that predictability, and certainly there are many delightful mutts at shelters who will make nice pets, but for those who need or want that level of predictability purebreds have an advantage.

Old 06-12-2017, 12:57 PM

3,248 posts, read 2,454,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
Because in fact in order to get a good working dog (especially one that is already trained for its work) you may need to spend a couple of thousand dollars, despite what some posters in this thread (who have openly said they'd never spend that type of money on a dog) have claimed. It's not true in all cases, of course, and most people just want a pet (a job for which the average pound puppy is completely suited, as lounging on the couch takes little talent or training). But for some people who have very specific needs, paying $5,000 for a dog may be entirely reasonable.
As I say, why discuss how much the dog costs as a piece of its introductory information? You could pay a million dollars for a dog that could dance the tango and speak German, but why is the price tag the first thing that is mentioned? Its tacky. Its just like someone buying a Tesla and telling you how much they paid. Who.Gives.A.Flying.Fig

And really, "lounging on the couch takes little talent or training..." That is definitely a put down from someone who thinks because they have a fancy dog they are somehow better than the kind hearted souls who rescue dogs from certain death. This argument is not endearing you to anyone.

Old 06-12-2017, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
No advantage whatsoever.
So far I agree with you. Any living breathing creature is made up of cells which can become cancerous. Inbreeding to preserve certain traits has not worked very well in the human population. Not sure why there is this vehement faction that believes its a good idea in any other mammalian population. Frankly, it seems a bit weird.

Old 06-12-2017, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
ALL working dogs (which is what all dogs were until very recently in history) are "designer dogs" in that they were specifically bred to have the aptitude to perform certain jobs. There's no such thing as a "generic dog" that can be trained to perform any and all tasks equally well.
What kind of work does a French bulldog do, exactly? Wait, so they lie on the sofa like the companion animals you so blithely put down a few posts ago? So wouldn't it be a better idea to save the money and rescue a mutt, if they are both designed to do the same thing?

I think you just proved its not so much about the breed, but it may be about the status symbol. If my coworker did search and rescue and had a specially trained dog to do that it might make sense that the cost was higher. But she had a French bulldog--an inbred little creature with chronic sinus problems whose head is so deformed its mother couldn't litter in the natural way (it is cute in its own ugly way, I will give it that.)

Old 06-12-2017, 01:06 PM

2,469 posts, read 3,259,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
As I say, why discuss how much the dog costs as a piece of its introductory information? You could pay a million dollars for a dog that could dance the tango and speak German, but why is the price tag the first thing that is mentioned? Its tacky. Its just like someone buying a Tesla and telling you how much they paid. Who.Gives.A.Flying.Fig

And really, "lounging on the couch takes little talent or training..." That is definitely a put down from someone who thinks because they have a fancy dog they are somehow better than the kind hearted souls who rescue dogs from certain death. This argument is not endearing you to anyone.
Why don't you go share your thoughts with the lady that bought the dog and see how your opinions go over. I bet you were the one that asked how much she paid for the dog. Your comments read like the money came from your bank account. No one is obligated to buy or rescue.

Old 06-12-2017, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dltordj View Post
Why don't you go share your thoughts with the lady that bought the dog and see how your opinions go over. I bet you were the one that asked how much she paid for the dog. Your comments read like the money came from your bank account. No one is obligated to buy or rescue.
I did not ask her a single thing about her dog. She came marching into my office with a picture and said:

"Look at my new baby! I went to get her this weekend. She cost $5000!"

My response was "wow, that is a lot to pay for a dog. Does she do anything special? Or is she just a pet?"

She looked at me blankly and said "well, she is my new furbaby!"

This is also the same person who was whining that she didn't get a raise, that she can't send her kid to college on what she makes, yadda yadda.

No idea why people can't see what poor taste it is to blatantly advertise how much they pay for things. I agree that no one is obligated to do anything. I don't have a dog, as I said. But there is something wrong with the world when people will defend such poor decision making in the name of status.

Wow, there are a lot of bitter people out there just smarting over how they come across to others...

Old 06-12-2017, 01:21 PM

Oh my goodness-- I have just discovered from this thread that dog snobbery exists! WOW. And I am not talking about the folks at Westminster. I am talking about average people who think that owning an "exceptionally bred" animal somehow makes them better than others. Just a weird thing to get snobby about.

Who woulda thunk it? Crazy stuff.

Old 06-12-2017, 01:22 PM

2,469 posts, read 3,259,931 times
Quote:
Oh my goodness-- I have just discovered from this thread that dog snobbery exists! WOW. And I am not talking about the folks at Westminster. I am talking about average people who think that owning an "exceptionally bred" animal somehow makes them better than others. Just a weird thing to get snobby about.

Yes and you are the worst, but I bet you don't see that. You should have just told her congratulations but nope you had to ask her "Does she do anything special? Or is she just a pet?" and you only asked her that because YOU had sticker shock. You are the snob.

Old 06-12-2017, 01:24 PM

231 posts, read 334,427 times
Quote:

Why do you care? Mind your own business.

Do you care if someone bought an expensive car that isn't superior to other cars?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs