Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2017, 01:29 PM

3,248 posts, read 2,453,751 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dltordj View Post
Yes and you are the worst, but I bet you don't see that. You should have just told her congratulations but nope you had to ask her "Does she do anything special? Or is she just a pet?" You are the snob, and jealous.
I love how people throw out the "you are jealous!" when they can't admit that they engage in behaviors others look askance at. I won't go into a litany of my own financial wellness because that would be just as tacky. But no matter my portfolio, my sound decision making leaves absolutely no room for the nonsense of a $5000 dog when there are plenty of great dogs awaiting execution.

Hey wait, are you my coworker? This seems like something she would say...

Old 06-12-2017, 01:31 PM

10,352 posts, read 7,976,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
As I say, why discuss how much the dog costs as a piece of its introductory information?
Probably because the woman in question is a tacky snob. But that has no bearing on whether a dog (purebred or otherwise) can indeed be worth $5,000.

Quote:
And really, "lounging on the couch takes little talent or training..." That is definitely a put down...
No, it's the absolute truth. Most pet dog owners actually do very little with their dogs. They just want a friendly animal that doesn't bark too much, doesn't bite, doesn't crap all over the house, doesn't destroy the house when left alone for the day, walks nicely on a leash, and will occasionally play fetch with them in the back yard. ANY dog can do those things with some very basic training. ANY neurologically normal dog can learn the five basic obedience commands (sit, down stay, come, and heel) and can be housebroken. A person may have size, coat, or basic temperament preferences, but the basic demands for the role of house pet are pretty darned small, and nearly all dogs can meat them with ease.

Some pet dog owners take it further and participate with their dog in dog sports such as agility - and at that point, you begin to see some preferences emerge as to preferred breeds/crosses. But most dog owners don't do those things, they just want a friendly pet, and they want to put in minimal training to get one.

Quote:
What kind of work does a French bulldog do, exactly? Wait, so they lie on the sofa like the companion animals you so blithely put down a few posts ago?
Yep, Frenchies are a breed developed solely to be a lap companion. That's the primary purpose of nearly every breed in the Toy Group; those breeds differ primarily in overall appearance, coat, and temperament. So unless those tings REALLY matter to the person (and they do to some), a similarly-sized crossbred dog from the pound will be just as nice a companion.

By your own admission you know very little about dogs. Maybe you should learn more about how and why the various breeds were developed and then take another look at your original question?

Old 06-12-2017, 01:32 PM

2,469 posts, read 3,259,553 times
Quote:
I love how people throw out the "you are jealous!" when they can't admit that they engage in behaviors others look askance at. I won't go into a litany of my own financial wellness because that would be just as tacky. But no matter my portfolio, my sound decision making leaves absolutely no room for the nonsense of a $5000 dog when there are plenty of great dogs awaiting execution.

Hey wait, are you my coworker? This seems like something she would say...

Oh the irony.. I can't be the only one cracking up at this poster.

Old 06-12-2017, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomnom View Post
Why do you care? Mind your own business.

Do you care if someone bought an expensive car that isn't superior to other cars?
I asked a question-- is there an advantage to a purebred when there is a plethora of dogs on death row.

I got some answers-- yes, there are working dogs that do special things. They cost more money. (This is the only argument that makes sense PROVIDED the dog owner is active in whatever the dog does-- like a sheep farmer who needs a sheep dog.)

Sometimes purebred dogs are so inbred they get health problems, so you need to spend extra money to make sure that you don't have those.

People want a dog that looks a certain way.

I got attacks-- "what's it to you?"
"Its not your money!"
"You are jealous!" (I imagine these accompanied by a schoolyard chant and a tongue sticking out as they are very mature and reasoned come backs.)

And I got people that say "Nope. Mutts are great. I have had both and I don't believe there is any difference."

I care because I am a curious sort of person who wonders what makes people tick. I see now.

Old 06-12-2017, 01:37 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,756,004 times
Quote:
Oh my goodness-- I have just discovered from this thread that dog snobbery exists! WOW. And I am not talking about the folks at Westminster. I am talking about average people who think that owning an "exceptionally bred" animal somehow makes them better than others. Just a weird thing to get snobby about.

Who woulda thunk it? Crazy stuff.
I don't see anyone in this thread that thinks they are better than anyone else due to their dog.

I've bought purebred GSDs from competition-level German working lines from reputable breeders because I wanted to do Schutzhund with them and show them in conformation. I bought my corgi (whose father went best of breed at Westminster and whose mother came from strong herding lines) from a reputable breeder because I wanted to show him and do herding. I bought them because those dogs could do the work I wanted. I also wanted the GSDs for protection and even without any training, I know that GSDs from German working lines are likely to be protective (without having an unstable temperament and being a liability), have a high degree of intelligence and be highly trainable. It's got nothing to do with status and everything to do with the dogs having he characteristics I wanted.

If none of that matters to you, then get a mixed breed or adopt a pure breed from a rescue. For people wanting purely a companion, rescue is absolutely the way to go IMO.

Old 06-12-2017, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan123 View Post
I don't see anyone in this thread that thinks they are better than anyone else due to their dog.

I've bought purebred GSDs from competition-level German working lines from reputable breeders because I wanted to do Schutzhund with them and show them in conformation. I bought my corgi (whose father went best of breed at Westminster and whose mother came from strong herding lines) from a reputable breeder because I wanted to show him and do herding. I bought them because those dogs could do the work I wanted. I also wanted the GSDs for protection and even without any training, I know that GSDs from German working lines are likely to be protective (without having an unstable temperament and being a liability), have a high degree of intelligence and be highly trainable. It's got nothing to do with status and everything to do with the dogs having he characteristics I wanted.
Why does this information need to be included? Couldn't you just say-- I needed working dogs because I have a farm (assuming you do)? Who gives a fig about "best of breed at Westminster"? If that isn't pure dog snob, I don't know what is.

Old 06-12-2017, 01:42 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,756,004 times
Quote:
Why does this information need to be included? Couldn't you just say-- I needed working dogs because I have a farm (assuming you do)? Who gives a fig about "best of breed at Westminster"? If that isn't pure dog snob, I don't know what is.
No farm.

I brought up Westminster because YOU raised it in your earlier post. I didn't mention the parentage of my other dogs but I'm happy to do so if you're interested.

I can't understand why you're so bitter about this. This has absolutely no effect on you.

Old 06-12-2017, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
P

No, it's the absolute truth. Most pet dog owners actually do very little with their dogs. They just want a friendly animal that doesn't bark too much, doesn't bite, doesn't crap all over the house, doesn't destroy the house when left alone for the day, walks nicely on a leash, and will occasionally play fetch with them in the back yard. ANY dog can do those things with some very basic training. ANY neurologically normal dog can learn the five basic obedience commands (sit, down stay, come, and heel) and can be housebroken. A person may have size, coat, or basic temperament preferences, but the basic demands for the role of house pet are pretty darned small, and nearly all dogs can meat them with ease.

Yep, Frenchies are a breed developed solely to be a lap companion. That's the primary purpose of nearly every breed in the Toy Group; those breeds differ primarily in overall appearance, coat, and temperament. So unless those tings REALLY matter to the person (and they do to some), a similarly-sized crossbred dog from the pound will be just as nice a companion.

By your own admission you know very little about dogs. Maybe you should learn more about how and why the various breeds were developed and then take another look at your original question?
Thank you for proving my point. I have serious doubts that this board is full of world renowned dog agility competitors. I am betting that most of the posters who have attacked have a "fancy" dog that does exactly what you describe above. But they wanted it because...why? Why when others were available and most any dog could fulfill a companion role?

It just makes me sad. Again, fully admit, I am not a dog person. It seems like people are throwing away lives of good, smart animals every day to pursue something that fills some void of self esteem. Its just a crying shame.

Old 06-12-2017, 01:47 PM

32,632 posts, read 47,964,911 times
Quote:
Since you admit that you don't know anything about dogs, I will inform you that if you want a dog to compete in shows, you do not get a mutt from the pound. You buy a show dog that has show dog parents.

Old 06-12-2017, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan123 View Post
No farm.

I brought up Westminster because YOU raised it in your earlier post. I didn't mention the parentage of my other dogs but I'm happy to do so if you're interested.

I can't understand why you're so bitter about this. This has absolutely no effect on you.
Please don't.

I am sad for the animals that linger at the pound while breeders produce more and more for people who really have no itch to scratch other than status. Because I am sure some like to compete and show, but for what I would guess is the vast majority, its just another thing to brag about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs