U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2017, 01:48 PM

7,183 posts, read 4,093,663 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
I got some answers-- yes, there are working dogs that do special things. They cost more money. (This is the only argument that makes sense PROVIDED the dog owner is active in whatever the dog does-- like a sheep farmer who needs a sheep dog.)
It's not only about predictability of working drives - it's also about predictability of overall size, activity levels, coat type, and general temperament. It's hard to know whether that cute mutt puppy at the pound will grow up to weight 25 pounds or 75 pounds, whether it will shed minimally or prodigiously or not at all, whether it will have off-the-wall energy levels or be a sedate animal as an adult. Dogs vary WILDLY in these traits, and pureberd dogs are simply more predictable in those areas than crossbred ones.

(It's easier to judge these traits in an adult dog, of course, but in a shelter setting it can be hard to get a good overall view of how the adult dog in question will behave in a home setting because shelters are stressful places for dogs, and a stressed dog is not behaving normally.)

Old 06-12-2017, 01:49 PM

2,315 posts, read 1,180,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Since you admit that you don't know anything about dogs, I will inform you that if you want a dog to compete in shows, you do not get a mutt from the pound. You buy a show dog that has show dog parents.
Why would I ever want my pet to compete??

This is a whole different topic, but what does a dog get out of competing? Not put to sleep? I think the OWNERS get something out of it-- status to other dog people, money, ribbons, silly names for bloodlines that they can brag about, etc.

Seriously think about it. Who benefits from dog shows?

Old 06-12-2017, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan123 View Post
No farm.

I brought up Westminster because YOU raised it in your earlier post. I didn't mention the parentage of my other dogs but I'm happy to do so if you're interested.

I can't understand why you're so bitter about this. This has absolutely no effect on you.
Yup, my point is proven.

Personally, I think dog shows, cat shows, horse racing , etc will start to go the way of circuses and fox hunting in the next decade or so. Its just a bizarre thing to make animals compete for your pleasure.

Old 06-12-2017, 01:54 PM

2,456 posts, read 1,993,392 times
Sometimes people research a breed that will fit most closely with their lifestyle. Or for what they are looking for (small dog, short hair/easy grooming, low exercise need) - most breed selector quizzes will help you narrow down a good choice for your lifestyle.

Personally, I would love to have a Frenchie. Think they are adorable. And when/if the day comes that I look for one, I will first check out Frenchie rescues to see if any are nearby. If not, then I perhaps would consider a breeder - if my heart was set on a that specific breed.

But, I also am a dog lover, so I will likely "settle" for a best fit at a shelter. Either way, I'll love it for the rest of it's life.

In the end, if someone pays an exorbitant amount for a pup, it is mostly due to ignorance (IMO). They simply don't know all the ins and outs and options. So they go for the "quick fix" and spend whatever someone tells them the price is.

I would guess your coworker doesn't know if there were any health certifications, if the breeder will take the dog back (I bet they won't) and lots of other things dog people know to ask of reputable breeders. It could work out great for both her and the dog. And then again, that dog could end up in a shelter.

Old 06-12-2017, 02:00 PM

7,183 posts, read 4,093,663 times
Quote:
Thank you for proving my point. I have serious doubts that this board is full of world renowned dog agility competitors. I am betting that most of the posters who have attacked have a "fancy" dog that does exactly what you describe above. But they wanted it because...why? Why when others were available and most any dog could fulfill a companion role?
You lost your bet. I currently own no dogs at all.

But 25 years ago, I advised my aging parents to purchase an expensive purebred (A Cavalier King Charles Spaniel from a good breeder) rather than adopt a pound puppy. Why did I do that? Because unlike you I KNOW dogs - and I knew that the small dogs (both purebreds and crosses) typically available at the pound would be a disastrous mismatch for my parents'' home. Most of the readily available small dogs in the pound are either terrier crosses (high energy, yappy, and tenacious - and my parents are NOT terrier people) or have grooming requirements that they would have trouble meeting (the various 'poo crosses). A Cavalier is a good choice of dog for them - so much so that when their first one died of old age, they replaced it with another Cavalier.

What matters is getting the RIGHT dog, not the most readily available or the cheapest dog. In many cases, the pound pup will be the right dog. But not in all cases.

Quote:
It just makes me sad. Again, fully admit, I am not a dog person. It seems like people are throwing away lives of good, smart animals every day to pursue something that fills some void of self esteem. Its just a crying shame.
Be angry at the people who produced all those mutts in the first place. It's irresponsible breeders and irresponsible owners who fill up the shelters, not folks who actually do their research first, pick a dog that suits them, and then go on to keep it for its lifetime.

Old 06-12-2017, 02:01 PM

22,521 posts, read 28,441,660 times
Quote:
....... but what does a dog get out of competing? .......
Dogs enjoy competing. They enjoy showing, they love agility, they love freestyle, they enjoy obedience. They love to hunt or to do their protection work. Sled dogs love to race. Greyhounds love to race. Hounds love to trail. Sheepdogs love to work sheep.

Go to You tube and watch some competitions and see the grins and wagging tails on the dogs.

Moderator cut: RUDE

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 06-12-2017 at 02:26 PM..

Old 06-12-2017, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
You lost your bet. I currently own no dogs at all.

But 25 years ago, I advised my aging parents to purchase an expensive purebred (A Cavalier King Charles Spaniel from a good breeder) rather than adopt a pound puppy. Why did I do that? Because unlike you I KNOW dogs - and I knew that the small dogs (both purebreds and crosses) typically available at the pound would be a disastrous mismatch for my parents'' home. Most of the readily available small dogs in the pound are either terrier crosses (high energy, yappy, and tenacious - and my parents are NOT terrier people) or have grooming requirements that they would have trouble meeting (the various 'poo crosses). A Cavalier is a good choice of dog for them - so much so that when their first one died of old age, they replaced it with another Cavalier.

What matters is getting the RIGHT dog, not the most readily available or the cheapest dog. In many cases, the pound pup with be the right dog. But not in all cases.

Be angry at the people who produced all those mutts in the first place. It's irresponsible breeders and irresponsible owners who fill up the shelters, not folks who actually do their research first, pick a dog that suits them, and then go on to keep it for its lifetime.
So two questions:

1. How can you presume to know ALL dogs available in shelters? Did you visit with your parents? Did you do any fostering? Or did you just get bossy and say "I KNOW dogs! Listen to me and get out your checkbook!" What kind of exploration/due diligence did you do before insisting on a purebred? How many shelters did you visit? How many dogs did you spend time with before you decided none was good enough?

2. Who are these mysterious "good" breeders? Are they certified? Are they endorsed by the AKC or whatever other association cares about dog breeds? Do they have education in animal husbandry? Are they required to take training to update their knowledge? Hold a license? Or can anyone who "knows dogs" try their hand at getting a litter of puppies?

Old 06-12-2017, 02:08 PM

2,027 posts, read 2,280,035 times
Quote:
So two questions:

1. How can you presume to know ALL dogs available in shelters? Did you visit with your parents? Did you do any fostering? Or did you just get bossy and say "I KNOW dogs! Listen to me and get out your checkbook!" What kind of exploration/due diligence did you do before insisting on a purebred? How many shelters did you visit? How many dogs did you spend time with before you decided none was good enough?

2. Who are these mysterious "good" breeders? Are they certified? Are they endorsed by the AKC or whatever other association cares about dog breeds? Do they have education in animal husbandry? Are they required to take training to update their knowledge? Hold a license? Or can anyone who "knows dogs" try their hand at getting a litter of puppies?

You are the one that clearly needs to use Google. This thread was created for the sole purpose of arguing.

Old 06-12-2017, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomnom View Post
A person who cares knows more about what she/he cares about. You claim to care about dogs yet know nothing about them.

If you care so much, what have YOU done to help them? Judging someone on her choice of dog isn't helping...
I care about animals.

I have severe allergies to dogs. That doesn't stop me from donating to shelters religiously. From doing graphics works for free for local vets for their spay neuter campaign. Or running a pet food drive every year at Christmas.

Old 06-12-2017, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dltordj View Post
You are the one that clearly needs to use Google. This thread was created for the sole purpose of arguing.
You are right. I wanted to hear the arguments from the other side. My opinion was stated in the first post. Did you miss that?

So far nothing has convinced me otherwise. Sorry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or