Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2017, 07:24 PM

3,248 posts, read 2,455,924 times

Advertisements

A woman I work with was recently bragging about her new puppy-- a $5000 French bulldog. Not being a dog owner myself, I thought I had misheard the cost of this puppy. Last I checked there were tons of dogs at animal shelters throughout the country.

I am puzzled as to why someone would need to have a purebred dog when there are so many "mutts" out there. I am honestly not a dog person, so maybe someone can explain the advantage of a purebred over a mixed breed?

Old 06-11-2017, 07:28 PM

17,302 posts, read 12,245,675 times
That's just straight up ridiculous.

The big benefit of a "pure" breed is that you have a better idea what you are getting into and what will be required based off generalizations of the breed. Mutts are more of a mixed bag.

Old 06-11-2017, 07:32 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,896,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
A woman I work with was recently bragging about her new puppy-- a $5000 French bulldog. Not being a dog owner myself, I thought I had misheard the cost of this puppy. Last I checked there were tons of dogs at animal shelters throughout the country.

I am puzzled as to why someone would need to have a purebred dog when there are so many "mutts" out there. I am honestly not a dog person, so maybe someone can explain the advantage of a purebred over a mixed breed?
There are no advantages that I know of myself.

Many of the purebred dog breeds out there have genetic predispositions towards chronic health conditions, quite of few of which are serious and cause the dog to suffer. One of the better known ones is hip dysplasia which is seen in several breeds.

There are tons of great dogs at shelters and I know this to be true as someone who volunteered with several shelters over the years.

I'm also puzzled by the need some people have to go out and buy a dog when we end up euthanizing so many perfectly adoptable ones simply because the shelters have no room for any more

Your co-worker makes me angry

Old 06-11-2017, 07:35 PM

17,342 posts, read 11,277,677 times
I have purebred dogs all from rescues. They are wonderful and I think more than anything the pure bred vs mutt is more about what a dog looks like more than anything else.
Overall, I strongly believe mutts are healthier, just as smart as most purebreds and just as lovable. I'm pretty sure my next dog will be a mutt.
French bulldogs have been so over bred in the last 10-20 years that many now have sever health problems. I had 2 of them before they became one of the most popular breed. When I had Frenchies, few people even knew what they were, but they were very healthy.

Old 06-11-2017, 07:35 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,700,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
That's just straight up ridiculous.

The big benefit of a "pure" breed is that you have a better idea what you are getting into and what will be required based off generalizations of the breed. Mutts are more of a mixed bag.
And at $5000 she probably got a pedigreed purebred, which further narrows down the physical and temperament traits, assuming the breeder had a clue. If you want to reduce the chances of getting a dog prone to hip dysplasia, gastric torsion, skin diseases, respiratory problems, etc etc etc, knowing the dog's genetic background helps.

Bragging about how much you paid for anything is crass.

Old 06-11-2017, 07:37 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 7 days ago)

35,626 posts, read 17,961,729 times
Unless that dog is show quality and your friend has an interest in participating in AKC dog shows, she's been ripped off. If dog shows are her hobby, that's the price of a show dog.

It's astounding what people will ignorantly pay for dogs. Especially from pet stores, where the dogs are likely psychologically damaged.

Old 06-11-2017, 07:39 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 7 days ago)

35,626 posts, read 17,961,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
And at $5000 she probably got a pedigreed purebred, which further narrows down the physical and temperament traits, assuming the breeder had a clue. If you want to reduce the chances of getting a dog prone to hip dysplasia, gastric torsion, skin diseases, respiratory problems, etc etc etc, knowing the dog's genetic background helps.

Ok, so yes. If this dog has hips and eyes certified (which would be a great thing in this breed) and the breeder is an excellent breeder who breeds for temperament and physical conformation, and agrees to take the dog back for the lifetime of the dog should it become homeless, it might be worth $5K. That's what good breeders do.

Old 06-11-2017, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post

French bulldogs have one of the shortest lifespans for a smallish dog, average 8-10 most of the time.

Old 06-11-2017, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Ok, so yes. If this dog has hips and eyes certified (which would be a great thing in this breed) and the breeder is an excellent breeder who breeds for temperament and physical conformation, and agrees to take the dog back for the lifetime of the dog should it become homeless, it might be worth $5K. That's what good breeders do.
That's great but good breeders can't predict what genetic defect may pop up when the dog is 5-6 years old or older. Some purebreds have a disposition for brain tumors with Boxers being especially prone as well as Boston terriers. It's a chance you take if you want a purebred dog.

Old 06-11-2017, 07:59 PM

If anyone is interested watch this BBC documentary on purebred dogs and over breeding. It's an eye opener and rocked the English dog show world.

Pedigree Dogs Exposed - Top Documentary Films

Last edited by marino760; 06-11-2017 at 08:07 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs