U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2017, 12:03 PM

980 posts, read 488,990 times

Advertisements

We absolutely love our pugs. We have 3 boys and the 2 pugs were here first. They love everyone. Although ours are officially elderly (16.5 years) and do absolutely nothing anymore but lay around. They were fine to housetrain although age has changed that. No harder than our Collie and she's smart as heck. As they age, we have had to deal with eye issues. They get dry and need drops 2x a day. They also lost eyesight slowly as they aged and neither can see well now so I really have to take care that they stay away from stairs. That also can't be outside in the heat longer than it takes to go to the bathroom. They love to lay outside on pretty days though. They do shed, a lot. And they snore. They need their face folds cleaned regularly but are otherwise low maintenance. They require little exercise but love to play.

I'm sure they are ok at home for those hours, but I'd consider 2. They will have each other then. Or get someone who can visit midway through the day. When we both worked, I came home for lunch to let them out and hang out for a bit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2017, 10:44 PM

12,387 posts, read 31,343,833 times
Cant get a Doggie sitter... Pugs Can be litter box trained. There were several in Elderly Apt Complex I use to live in ALL were litter box trained In the Cool of the evening & early morns their owners would sit outside with them.

Old 06-29-2017, 12:59 AM

1,465 posts, read 886,564 times
Are Pugs' eyes so fragile that they can easily suffer damage from playing with other dogs or walking in brambles/burrs/thorns? That's one thing I'd worry about if I were contemplating getting a Pug. The ones I've met have good personalities; and some are quite energetic and playful.

Old 06-29-2017, 07:58 AM

13,675 posts, read 13,485,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Regina14 View Post
Are Pugs' eyes so fragile that they can easily suffer damage from playing with other dogs or walking in brambles/burrs/thorns? That's one thing I'd worry about if I were contemplating getting a Pug. The ones I've met have good personalities; and some are quite energetic and playful.
I'm not entirely sure, but I believe so. I remember meeting a one-eyed pug in the UK. That's why I recommended a puggle. Plenty in rescue (a friend got one by literally finding it on the street) and they tend to have the pug personality with the hardier physical attributes of a beagle (longer snout, sturdier legs, more recessed eyes). Everyone I've met who has one is in absolutely love with their dog. I pet-sat one for 2 weeks and she was a joy.

Old 06-29-2017, 08:29 AM

15,712 posts, read 9,208,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
It took a while for me to get over the loss of our beloved Golden Retriever. We are contemplating adopting again from a rescue organization. I originally thought about getting another Golden because they really are good family dogs and for the most part are good with children. (Sam was EXCELLENT with children. He was probably the most gentle soul I knew). I've also traditionally shied away from the small breeds due to their compatibility issues with small children (I know, case by case basis, but from personal observation and anecdotal stories, toy breeds aren't the best with small children, just like dwarf rabbits aren't either). My kids are older now and definitely respectful of animals. At the same time, a large jumpy dog can startle my six year old and knock her over. So, we are considering a pug. I've read that they tolerate kids pretty well and like to be involved with the family, a quintessential family dog. We have done research, so we know about their myriad health issues due to their face. My questions are:

1. Are pugs indeed good with children?
2. Can pugs tolerate being alone for 8-10 hours on weekdays (we work, kids go to school)?
3. I've heard housetraining can be a challenge? Is this true with older rescue dogs?
4. Any other helpful information pug owners would like to share?

We are also still considering adopting a middle aged/senior Golden. Also I've heard Basset Hounds are good with kids. Is that true?

Thanks!!
I live in your neck of the woods, and have 3 rescue Pugs, one adopted from DFW Pug Rescue. Most pugs are great with kids, and need to be involved with the family at all times.

1. Most are. The advantage of going through a rescue is that they can match you with a pug that will definitely be good with kids.
2. Not outside, but inside is fine. I would limit that time at first, to make sure they're OK with it. But our pugs sleep most of the time anyway, so they're OK. We keep a potty pad out for them while we're gone.
3. Housetraining can be a challenge with pugs, and any small dog. It really all depends on the dog. One of mine would NEVER potty in the house. One will if she just can't hold it. And one has no respect for the "don't potty in the house" rule. We just keep a close eye on that one. All of them were adopted at age 2, so it's a personality thing.
4. They shed. A LOT. Although the black ones usually shed slightly less, because they don't usually have a double coat.

I've had pugs for 25 years, and volunteered as a foster home for about 10. They're funny, easy going, chow hounds, and are usually willing to get involved with whatever the family is doing. Mine hike, run agility, compete in obedience, sleep on the couch, attend pug rescue events and stay in hotels when we travel.

Pug Rescue of Austin and DFW Pug Rescue are both great rescue groups.

But be warned. Pugs are like potato chips. It's hard to stop at just one.....

Old 06-29-2017, 02:43 PM

10,722 posts, read 10,111,524 times
Hey guys, thanks for the feedback. I think we're going to once again look more closely at the retrievers (since we're really familiar with that breed) but I will keep the posts here in mind.

Old 06-29-2017, 03:56 PM

1,465 posts, read 886,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Hey guys, thanks for the feedback. I think we're going to once again look more closely at the retrievers (since we're really familiar with that breed) but I will keep the posts here in mind.
You could adopt an older Golden Retriever, at least one that is well out of puppyhood, such as a four year old; a dog at that age might be less likely to knock down a small child while running/playing.

I have a friend who has a very energetic Golden Retriever, now 10 years old, but was always gentle with my friend's grandson since he was a baby (when the dog was about 5 or 6 years old).

Old 08-08-2017, 12:00 PM

3,650 posts, read 6,459,769 times
I have a puggle, and to me, he is the best dog in the world!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs