U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-21-2017, 11:57 PM
 
13,369 posts, read 6,601,939 times
Reputation: 12823

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
So you want to slide around the rules that you agreed to and have a dog listed as an Emotional Support Animal who really is not an actual Emotional Support Animal?
Where did I say that? Lots of assumptions. I never said I don't qualify for one. This thread is a bit entertaining in that aspect. All I asked was about ESAs and HOAs. Right now there might be 25 dogs here who qualify but it's not been needed to go through the process when there is lack of enforcement.

I didn't ask do you think I qualify? Or how would I qualify? I asked about ESAs and HOAs. I shall no longer respond to off-topic posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-22-2017, 06:34 AM
 
16,722 posts, read 14,605,104 times
Reputation: 41111
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
I've been here 13 years and am a great fit. The loony-toons who might end up on the board are not a good fit. They have forged proxies, gotten them by threats, and all kinds of insanity I will not even type here. Well, I'll tell one: they actually cut the water lines to some new grass that had been placed around. Hoping it would die and reflect badly on the current board, I guess. and much worse. They. are. crazy. Call it ranting if you want. I am just stating facts. I have stayed out of the HOA drama here all these years. I walk around with my dog and listen to everyone and just nod my head. I don't get involved. Well, I was involved with non-crazy people on the dog rules committee some years back. I was unable to prevail on lifting the size restriction but ceasing enforcement was good, at least.
Doesn't sound like a great fit at all to me.

It must be super cheap, because a normal person without a dog would not continue to live there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-22-2017, 07:01 PM
 
13,369 posts, read 6,601,939 times
Reputation: 12823
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
Doesn't sound like a great fit at all to me.

It must be super cheap, because a normal person without a dog would not continue to live there.
You mean because the board is nuts? The current board is not nuts. These are people who mean to take it over. Just the fact they want it so badly to do all these nutty things is wild. It's a pretty thankless job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-22-2017, 10:35 PM
 
2,962 posts, read 2,729,942 times
Reputation: 6561
"Emotional" support animals in multi family housing should be restricted to turtles and perhaps pet fish (subject to aquarium size requirements) as they do not bother other occupants.


Tangentially I think this is a ripe market for robotics i.e. pet market for emotional support. Perfect to program to please owner and not annoy others.


I have no understanding of the logic behind an individual who chooses to live in a larger community with governing rules (HOAs et al), who then because THEIR individual situation changes, can usurp the rights of the many others who live in same building / complex to be free from whatever potential nuisance someone's "Emotional Support" animal creates.


Service dogs I understand and am fully OK with since they have been trained to be an accompaniment to those of "confirmed' special needs.


The litany of asinine pets people claim as 'emotional support' needs to be handled sort of like Thayer Davis handled Gertrude the duck in the original Journey To The Center of the Earth.


Now, if only the PET ROCK would make a comeback for just these situations we'd have a win -win.

Last edited by ciceropolo; 06-22-2017 at 10:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2017, 10:19 AM
 
119 posts, read 75,823 times
Reputation: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
I didn't ask do you think I qualify? Or how would I qualify? I asked about ESAs and HOAs. I shall no longer respond to off-topic posts.
Please try responding to my on topic post with more than
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam
No, I don't think so, and come to think of it, since our particular rules say Service Dogs may be any type of dog, it might say ESAs can be as well.
HOAs do have to make reasonable changes to their policies to accommodate a person with a person with a disability. Keeping an emotional support dog in no pets housing would be a reasonable accommodation.

The court cases on whether size restrictions can be applied to ESAs are split. A 10 pound dog can provide the same amount of emotional support as a 60 pound dog. You need to have a reasonable argument of why a small dog won't work.

The most successful cases are where a person has a long standing relationship with the ESA and requests an accommodation before moving into "small pets" housing. Of course when the dog dies their next ESA would have to comply with the weight restrictions.

I can think of another argument for an oversize dog that I have not seen in a court case. I have seen weight limits as low as 10 pounds. My disability causes me to fall. I would be afraid of falling on a tiny dog killing it. A reasonable accommodation would be to allow me to have a dog under 30 pounds.

The people most likely to lose their court case are the ones who have lived in the same place for a while and suddenly bring in a pet that breaks the rules without first requesting a reasonable accommodation. This is especially true for people who choose oversize or banned breeds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2017, 10:59 AM
 
12,567 posts, read 13,980,086 times
Reputation: 34423
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
....I take care of her when my brother can't it just so happens that's been quite a while now but the moment he can let her in and out again she will be gone until the next time.

But perhaps ESA is the way to go if that is a slam-dunk, no more discussion.
What is your argument going to be when the dog takes these furloughs, that you only need part-time emotional support?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2017, 11:13 AM
 
Location: SW Florida
9,660 posts, read 6,959,908 times
Reputation: 13962
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niftybergin View Post
Emotional support animals differ from traditional service dogs in that service dogs are trained to perform a task or to detect a condition. Emotional support animals, on the other hand, aren't required to have that degree of training. But in order for your animal to qualify for certification, the owner has to have a letter from a doctor that states that he is psychiatrically disabled or suffers from certain psychological conditions/disabilities, such as PTSD, severe depression, anxiety, bipolar disorder, panic attacks, suicidal ideation, etc.
Which you can buy over the internet, with no questions asked, no doctor exams, with nothing more, sometimes, than a signed affidavit that your dog is trained. For the price you may even get a nifty little vest you can put on your critter to announce to the world that he/she/it is a genuwyne certified "emotional support" animal. Or sometimes they will even call it a "service dog".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2017, 03:29 PM
 
13,369 posts, read 6,601,939 times
Reputation: 12823
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
Which you can buy over the internet, with no questions asked, no doctor exams, with nothing more, sometimes, than a signed affidavit that your dog is trained. For the price you may even get a nifty little vest you can put on your critter to announce to the world that he/she/it is a genuwyne certified "emotional support" animal. Or sometimes they will even call it a "service dog".
I don't think you can buy a 'prescription'. I know what you are referring to, though. Those 'kits' online.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2017, 03:31 PM
 
13,369 posts, read 6,601,939 times
Reputation: 12823
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
What is your argument going to be when the dog takes these furloughs, that you only need part-time emotional support?
Don't know. Just exploring the topic. I am more familiar with service dogs than ESAs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2017, 03:46 PM
 
5,267 posts, read 2,278,376 times
Reputation: 14667
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
actually, i don't care about the drama at all. I simply think it's wrong that instead of moving to accommodate your dog, you are planning on jumping through hoops that were put in place so that people who genuinely need service and/or support dogs could have them.

I do, however, realize that this is a pointless discussion, so all i can do at this point is simply hope that karma shows up at the appropriate time.
+1.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top