U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2017, 09:45 AM

9,525 posts, read 7,798,199 times

Advertisements

I read a list of things that should never be given to dogs the other day, and raw potatoes were on the list.
Of course, the list did not give any limits, such as "No more than 1/2 ounce in any 24 hour period."
So, my question is, if I drop a couple of frozen hash browns on the floor and the dog scarfs them up, how soon will she get sick and/or die?
Or, is it like the old "chocolate scare", that if a dog eats chocolate, it will get sick and die!
Our old beagle gave the lie to that one; she ate nearly a full 9X9 pan of brownies and licked the pan clean. Oh, yes, she threw up a lot that afternoon, but she didn't die and suffered no other ill effects that we could see. She lived many years after that incident.
IMO, the throwing up was just as much due to the fact that she overstuffed herself as it was the chocolate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2017, 09:57 AM

4,584 posts, read 5,010,279 times
Are Potatoes Bad for Dogs

Like other root crops, potatoes are also high in carbohydrates.

Although it provides energy to your dogs, excessive consumption may lead to obesity, diabetes, and pancreatitis. Sweet potatoes are rich in starch that may cause gain weight if given to your dog frequently.

I googled it and the above comment is what I found.

Old 06-21-2017, 10:13 AM

3,962 posts, read 2,575,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
I read a list of things that should never be given to dogs the other day, and raw potatoes were on the list.
Of course, the list did not give any limits, such as "No more than 1/2 ounce in any 24 hour period."
So, my question is, if I drop a couple of frozen hash browns on the floor and the dog scarfs them up, how soon will she get sick and/or die?
Or, is it like the old "chocolate scare", that if a dog eats chocolate, it will get sick and die!
Our old beagle gave the lie to that one; she ate nearly a full 9X9 pan of brownies and licked the pan clean. Oh, yes, she threw up a lot that afternoon, but she didn't die and suffered no other ill effects that we could see. She lived many years after that incident.
IMO, the throwing up was just as much due to the fact that she overstuffed herself as it was the chocolate.
It's not a lie. Chocolate can kill a dog depending on how much they eat, the amount of pure coco in the chocolate and the size of the dog. More information is here:
http://www.petmd.com/dog/conditions/...olate_toxicity

Whether raw potatoes will kill a dog also depends on the size of the dog and the amount consumed. More Information in the link below.
If your dog eats them, I'd call the vet.

https://www.vetary.com/dog/condition...reen-poisoning

Old 06-21-2017, 10:19 AM

390 posts, read 236,844 times
Some of the cautions are less about the actual food, but about things that may contaminate the food. Example: mold on nuts. The caution for raw potatoes may have to do with their being "root vegetables" and possibly unwashed therefore contaminated with something.

Old 06-21-2017, 10:22 AM

3,962 posts, read 2,575,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prumio View Post
Some of the cautions are less about the actual food, but about things that may contaminate the food. Example: mold on nuts. The caution for raw potatoes may have to do with their being "root vegetables" and possibly unwashed therefore contaminated with something.
Not for potatoes. It's a chemical in the potato that's toxic. It's explained on the link above.

Old 06-21-2017, 10:52 AM

22,555 posts, read 28,516,440 times
I don't think a couple of dropped frozen hash browns would hurt a dog.

I don't feed my dogs Irish potatoes becasue I have known more than one dog to yarp up a large portion of potato No science to that, but I figure that if the dog can't keep them down, they don't agree with the dog.

The only thing about potato that would be bad for the dog would be green potato skin which contains belladonna. The belladonna leaves the potato at the point that the skin matures and turns brown (or red or yellow, or whatever variety the potato is.)

Old 06-21-2017, 11:54 AM

13,408 posts, read 6,638,020 times
My dog cannot digest potatoes. They added potatoes to the brand of food she has eaten for years and now it gives her the runnies and I had to switch. I dislike grain-free foods because they include potatoes. Even if the dog has no particular problem with potatoes, how are they better than rice? That is the carb in my dog's food.

Old 06-21-2017, 12:06 PM

6,507 posts, read 7,906,171 times
From the examples given, Iam thinking it would be no worse than if you, a human, ate potatoes that had green on them. Eating green tomatoes before they are enlarged to nearly full size is not good for you either. Both are in the same family, but potatoes develop underground, so their turning green only happens when the sun or indoor storage lets the skin turn green or shoots to come out of the 'eye' and the shoots turn green. Presumably that is the bad part, and your frozen tater tots will not have that.

Here is a good description. Green Potatoes: The Problem | CropWatch

Old 06-21-2017, 12:48 PM

8,177 posts, read 11,064,148 times
My dog loves potatoes, cooked, that is.

Old 06-21-2017, 01:08 PM

13,408 posts, read 6,638,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
My dog loves potatoes, cooked, that is.
I'm sure most do! Mine has stolen french fries and other types of potatoes and that is how I know she cannot digest them. She really wants them, though ..............
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or