Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2017, 11:28 AM

48,526 posts, read 34,851,331 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
I've gotten my dog those fire hose toys before, they're supposed to be indestructible, but he is still able to rip into it. Of course it takes much longer. He can have a regular stuffed toy or rope torn apart within a few hours (or less). I think the last fire hose toy took about two weeks to start pulling threads from, and another two weeks before it was completely trashed.
I have to stay with Kong, Nyla and West Paw and no material, the two inch rope was torn in half the first day, thirds the second, and so forth. I had him on his long lead outside... turned my back for minute, literally and he chewed through it....
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2017, 07:05 PM

19,842 posts, read 12,102,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I have to stay with Kong, Nyla and West Paw and no material, the two inch rope was torn in half the first day, thirds the second, and so forth. I had him on his long lead outside... turned my back for minute, literally and he chewed through it....
I feel your pain. There's a level of stress having a dog that is such an aggressive chewer. Does he get any better after a long run?

Old 07-01-2017, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
I feel your pain. There's a level of stress having a dog that is such an aggressive chewer. Does he get any better after a long run?
Some. I can take him to the dog park and run him, and he comes back full of energy after a quick nap.

I'm lucky that he pretty much chews his own stuff, chewed a little bit of a throw carpet and one leg of the coffee table (can't notice).

I am working with the trainer on nose work and his hunting instinct, and that type of work seems to keep him mentally engaged along with the physical.

I'm worried because our collie is starting to deteriorate, and we will have to put him down soon. That will be one less thing to keep him engaged. (I also care because I love our collie, and he will be missed. see every time I think about it).

Old 07-01-2017, 10:41 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,022,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I have to stay with Kong, Nyla and West Paw and no material
I'm not sure what you mean by soft then. Are you wanting a soft rubber or plastic toy? If so, then a kong would be the best toy.

Old 07-01-2017, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
I'm not sure what you mean by soft then. Are you wanting a soft rubber or plastic toy? If so, then a kong would be the best toy.
No, I was hoping someone would tell me there was a soft, fuzzy chew toy made out of indestructible fabric developed by the military.

But as there does not appear to be.... I am back to the brands I noted above.

Old 07-02-2017, 08:03 AM

910 posts, read 2,331,738 times
My first one loved paper towel tubes and those cardboard drink holders that McDonalds gives you if you order like 2-4 drinks. They are messy when they're done with them and you have to watch if they don't eat too much, but if they did, it didn't do too much harm, she typically just gnawed on them and tore them apart, better those than furniture.

Old 07-02-2017, 08:04 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,431,732 times
I bought these for my dog and liked them so much that I bought a bunch for the dogs in my breed's rescue group:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/Benebone-Baco...JWZV6HYYFSGZWJ

Old 07-02-2017, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFW46 View Post
I bought these for my dog and liked them so much that I bought a bunch for the dogs in my breed's rescue group:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/Benebone-Baco...JWZV6HYYFSGZWJ

Thanks, I put one on my shopping list!

Old 07-03-2017, 10:03 AM

32,650 posts, read 48,040,180 times
I bought one toy made out of Kevlar, but it was badly made and a seam tore the first time I threw it. The dog got to fetch it just one time, so I returned it for a refund.

Kong makes a softer chew that is quite sturdy. My chewer has a toy shaped like a molecule that is softer and sort of springy but she hasn't been able to damage it. It's too small and I worry a bit that she might swallow it, so she can only have it while I watch her. Probably Kong makes a larger toy of the same stuff, I just haven't seen one yet.

I buy the jumbo, heavy weight, American hide rawhide retriever rolls. They are about $17 each and only last 2 days, but they are good tooth cleaners and are chewed with enthusiasm. I take them away when they get short enough to swallow. The smaller dog then gets them for awhile and when he gets them short enough to swallow, the Papillon gets the nub. Expensive, but a lot cheaper than a tooth cleaning at the vet.

Old 07-04-2017, 12:01 PM

5,013 posts, read 10,694,159 times
I recently adopted a young GSD and bought him an antler. He loves it and it doesn't fall apart but, rather, slowly gets gnawed away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs