Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2017, 12:18 PM

48,361 posts, read 34,494,212 times

Advertisements

I am limited because the Border Collie has a very delicate stomach. Almost everything minus NylaBone (and similar items) makes him puke. He already gets a little jealous of the puppy, so I make sure they both share all treats.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2017, 10:00 AM

32,514 posts, read 47,553,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
.......Kong makes a softer chew that is quite sturdy. ........
Well, this is embarrassing. I gave this nice reference for a Kong toy and I just picked up my dog's favorite chew and it isn't made by Kong at all. It is a toy made by Nylabone. The "soft" molecule toy came packaged in the same package, so it is also made by Nylabone.

Old 08-28-2017, 05:04 PM

I bought him a Tuffy dog toy, the ring rated at a toughness level of 9 out of 10. It lasted less than 4 hours.

I will try a level 10 next, but I'm not hopeful.

I am very thankful that he only chews HIS stuff (including the bed), and nothing else around the house!

Old 09-18-2017, 11:07 PM

Bought the Tuffy, Level 10.

It literally lasted less than 10 minutes before he got it torn apart.

That's it, I've done my best.

Old 09-18-2017, 11:21 PM

155 posts, read 117,116 times
You all may beat me up on this. There is a difference between a toy & a chew. All my dogs were
taught that from day one.

Old 09-19-2017, 12:51 AM

13,912 posts, read 39,129,073 times
This too will pass. At 6 months dogs are getting in their Adult Teeth Chewing should slow down by 12 Months. UNLESS YOU Make it a Habit by Buying lots for the dog to chew on. So by 12 months Slow Down to maybe 1 chew a month & Find things for the dog to do that doesn't require lazing around with the Only entertainment is a chewy. Great time to expand on those Basic Obedience & go for advance obedience, hunting, herding, tracking Fly ball, Frizby & What ever the dog was Bred to do!

Old 09-19-2017, 06:06 AM

965 posts, read 931,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZIggy View Post
You all may beat me up on this. There is a difference between a toy & a chew. All my dogs were
taught that from day one.
So true. Much better way to put it. I agree, mine get toys with me, and chews alone. Bene bones are lasting forever, but can't say they chew it every day. They seem to like it better than Nyla bones.

Mine do have shredded pieces of old toys and dog socks (my old socks) laying around that they share with each other or me for a game of tug. Once we have less than 4 inches square I throw them away.

OP I know your dog has a sensitive stomach, but is there any chance you could try a raw beef rib bone? Or do you know that is out? Not a knuckle bone, no big ones (just my opinion for their teeth).
Closed off in the kitchen or yard? Mine are allowed to have what is left in the house after every piece of meat is gone. Sometimes the house looks like a boneyard.

You could also try giving one frozen, and just give it for 10 mins, and take it back to the freezer (so you can check the sensitive stomach). Be sure to offer another, or a treat to take it back. Maybe on a weekend, or other longer time slot, in case it will caiuse an upset stomach.

I have only had one who had/ has a sensitive stomach and he can have tiny bits of something different now, but we had to build to that. He is 90 lbs and tiny bits = 1-2 tablespoons. He has never had a problem with beef ribs, but I do raw feed so ymmv.

Beef rib bones "normally" have less fat, and are less hard on their teeth. They can safely consume the bone eventually by chewing on the ends. It depends on the dog of course, but if this is new to your dog it may be special enough to not be destroyed right away. With 7 dogs 90 - 9 pounds I have not had a problem, and I buy them by the case as pacifiers
Pork bones I have had issue with for 2 of mine that were able to eat too fast.

It may not be an option, but just a thought. Or maybe you know a dog that can handle the ribs, and someone who will put them in a baggie I the freezer and give them to you without meat. Lol thinking outside the box to get through some stages.... I know it sounds ridiculous as I type it. But whatever it takes is my motto!

Old 09-19-2017, 10:04 AM

Have no idea what you mean that the dog should know a chew from a toy. I keep balls away because that is his WORLD, so the ball is a treat and training toy.

I was sitting right there, it was 10 minutes, it was bought for him to chew....

He has nyla bones, the point to this thread was he likes soft stuff to chew, it seems to be a comfort related thing for him. He nibbles on his bed (his nibbling is rather impressive as to damage).

My pup has a stomach of iron, but as soon as be breaks fabric down I throw it away. He would probably swallow a sock. I try to be careful otherwise his poo comes out as macrame.

The only thing left we have is a 2 inch thick rope that some one gave us..... But I really don't think that is too good for him.

I'll have to stay with Kong, Westpaw, and nyla type products.

I have stayed away from bones because I've read they aren't particularly safe, and he hoovers up enough without me adding to it. He eats rocks. It's lava so it breaks down and is actually probably like a mineral supplement. He finds golf balls and breaks them quickly. Knuckle bones were a consideration for him, but I won't do that until the border collie passes (the one with the sensitive tummy).

He is 10 months, and looks like he has all his teeth well grown in, I think he just likes to chew. It's amazing that except for 2 small incidents in the house, he chews stuff he is supposed to (inside), and no real damage outside.

He gets a reasonable amount of exercise, dog park, runs on bicycle, lagoon for sand run and swimming, he does nose work to "find" balls hidden, and has done "search" work to find people hiding, he goes on hikes.

I think he just likes to chew, seems right for a dog.

Thanks Simplepeace for the ideas.

Old 09-19-2017, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
This too will pass. At 6 months dogs are getting in their Adult Teeth Chewing should slow down by 12 Months. UNLESS YOU Make it a Habit by Buying lots for the dog to chew on. So by 12 months Slow Down to maybe 1 chew a month & Find things for the dog to do that doesn't require lazing around with the Only entertainment is a chewy. Great time to expand on those Basic Obedience & go for advance obedience, hunting, herding, tracking Fly ball, Frizby & What ever the dog was Bred to do!

Oh yes, absolutely. That 10 minutes lazing around with the chew toy. My bad.

Old 09-19-2017, 10:19 AM

1,483 posts, read 1,372,706 times
[quote=Katie1;49560586]This too will pass. At 6 months dogs are getting in their Adult Teeth Chewing should slow down by 12 Months. UNLESS YOU Make it a Habit by Buying lots for the dog to chew on. So by 12 months Slow Down to maybe 1 chew a month & Find things for the dog to do that doesn't require lazing around with the Only entertainment is a chewy. Great time to expand on those Basic Obedience & go for advance obedience, hunting, herding, tracking Fly ball, Frizby & What ever the dog was Bred to do!/QUOTE]

A bit of a criticism

I may be taking the above post the wrong way, but here's my view on what was written, or at least, how I read it:

I have a border collie - highly active breed - and he could probably remain outdoors all day playing, given the choice. But as a pup I had to teach him to wind down after outdoor play time (I do have to work so I can keep myself and my dog fed), and so after his breakfast, he would be given a Kong or a chew toy, and he'd lie down and entertain himself with it. As much as I'd love to, I can't spend 24/7 with my dog, constantly teaching, or playing, or finding activities for him. So I'd never assume that someone who is looking for advice on safe chew toys for their dog is giving their dog an opportunity to be "lazing around".

Active dogs need off switches, and chew toys are a great tool - if the right ones are provided - in teaching them this.

/end of criticism
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs