Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2017, 12:27 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,409,197 times

Advertisements

I feel like youre making a mountain out of a mole hill at this stage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2017, 12:28 PM

10,355 posts, read 7,988,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
It didn't break the skin. You are overreacting to the nth degree.
It did break the skin; if you read the OP's post, there was blood. The chances the dog in question is rabid is extremely small, but rabies isn't something to take chances with.

Old 06-26-2017, 01:11 PM

14,784 posts, read 24,086,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
It did break the skin; if you read the OP's post, there was blood. The chances the dog in question is rabid is extremely small, but rabies isn't something to take chances with.
Amen and I would not have waited as long as the OP did to get information . Those owners are avoiding you because they know they are in the wrong and they probably have not had shot one on that dog . All that divorce nonsense has nothing to do with a dog bite they are just BSing you to keep you from calling authorities . Do it and do it now no more excuses from them .

Old 06-26-2017, 01:17 PM

23,297 posts, read 18,837,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioToCO View Post
You are right. I went to the animal control website and found that according to our state law:

- All dogs and cats must be vaccinated against rabies. In addition, all dogs must wear a collar with their rabies tag firmly attached

- If your pet has bitten someone, or if you are the victim of an animal bite, you are required under state law to file a report with the Animal Control Unit within twelve hours of the bite.

- Dogs and cats involved in a biting incident must be confined to the owner’s or keeper’s premises, a veterinarian’s office, or the Humane Society for a ten-day observation period.

I guess, I already failed to report this within 12 hours. But I'm really confused and concerned now. If the dogs are required to have their rabies tags attached to the collar, wouldn't it be as simple as letting me know the number on the tag? Why would owners need to search for records?

I have two cats, and I keep their rabies tags with their records in a folder. I can produce the tags within minutes of getting home. If dogs need theirs attached to the collar, how difficult is it to get it?!

I really hate this whole situation. I'm not a confrontational person, but I'm not going to stand for this. I sent the owners another email saying that if they don't produce the proof of vaccination, I'm calling animal control.
Well, by blowing you off they hope you won't pursue it and can't be bothered to look up the record. Remind yourself that most likely the dog is vaccinated and there isn't anything to worry about. But, rabies vaccinations don't last forever so it might be expired.

I used to work for an animal control in CA and we came across all sorts of reasons; understandable and bizarre; why owners didn't have their records handy or didn't have tags on their dogs. In fact, the only dog I have ever been attacked by was on the job. I am a complete softy and dog lover known for pockets stuffed with treats who could often catch terrified or trapped dogs (the main reason I took the job in the first place). I happened to be in a nice neighborhood checking on expired vaccination records/licenses which were required by state law. Our record listed a golden retriever on this street with an expired rabies vaccination. OK, fine...usually a short friendly conversation and an easy fix. Many times dogs do have their current shots but their owners forget to update our records. A golden retriever with no tags began following me along the street growling and barking its head off. It then cornered me on a neighbor's porch and lunged at my face, eyes popping, ready for blood. We always carried a big 3 ring binder with the vaccination records for the area. Heavy, but it also happened to provide something to fend off a dog with. Finally a 7 year old kid showed up (yikes!!) but the dog seemed to know her so I asked her to take the dog home and close the gate. By the time I reached the dog's house I was umm...ready to rumble to put it mildly. The slobby guy in his undershorts who answered the door got an earful backed up by a uniform, badge, and a citation. The dog hadn't seen a vet in years and no one seemed to know if it had current vaccinations or not. In a way he was lucky I was the one who was attacked, not some visiting child. I had the authority to do something right then and there and did.

One of the weirdest things I learned from this job? At that time in that state, the people we found least likely to have their dogs licensed or with current vaccination records were firefighters, police, and medical professionals. Go figure!

In any case, they are obligated to provide the information to you by law. If they don't, let animal control pursue it.....they need a wake-up call for their dog's sake and their own if for no one else. They are lucky someone else didn't decide to sue them over the bite. Many other people would.

Old 06-26-2017, 01:31 PM

1,260 posts, read 2,044,404 times
I got a response from the husband. Basically, he isn't sure if the dog is vaccinated.

"My concern is that he is not vaccinated as I have no records at my house and last year was very chaotic for our family"

At least they are admitting things are a mess. I called animal control and left a message with a dispatcher. Let's see what they say. If I understand correctly, even if the dog is not vaccinated, they won't recommend rabies shots right away. The dog will need to be observed for 10 days, and if healthy after this period, the issue is over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllisonHB View Post
they need a wake-up call for their dog's sake and their own if for no one else. They are lucky someone else didn't decide to sue them over the bite. Many other people would.
I agree with this. They have 3 kids. If they can't keep their dogs up to date on the shots, I'm not sure they should have dogs.

Old 06-26-2017, 01:50 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,762,355 times
Quote:
I got a response from the husband. Basically, he isn't sure if the dog is vaccinated.

"My concern is that he is not vaccinated as I have no records at my house and last year was very chaotic for our family"

At least they are admitting things are a mess. I called animal control and left a message with a dispatcher. Let's see what they say. If I understand correctly, even if the dog is not vaccinated, they won't recommend rabies shots right away. The dog will need to be observed for 10 days, and if healthy after this period, the issue is over.

I agree with this. They have 3 kids. If they can't keep their dogs up to date on the shots, I'm not sure they should have dogs.
I'd see what your doctor recommends rather than rely on animal control.

Old 06-26-2017, 01:52 PM

10,355 posts, read 7,988,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllisonHB View Post
Well, by blowing you off they hope you won't pursue it and can't be bothered to look up the record. Remind yourself that most likely the dog is vaccinated and there isn't anything to worry about. But, rabies vaccinations don't last forever so it might be expired.
Some states require annual rabies vaccination, while others allow vaccination every three years, but in both cases the same vaccine is used. And the current thinking is that if an animal has been vaccinated at least once and has shown a decent titer level post-vaccine, that animal is probably immune for life. So I'd worry a lot less about being bitten by a dog with an expired tag than by a dog which has no proof of ever being vaccinated (especially since the most irresponsible owners are also the ones most likely to allow their dogs to roam - which means it's possible the unvaccinated dog HAS had contact with rabid wildlife).

OP, you're doing the right thing by contacting Animal Control. The only reason we don't see many cases of rabies from domestic dogs in this country is that the majority of owners DO vaccinate their pets. Let's keep it that way, and put legal pressure on those who don't!

Old 06-26-2017, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan123 View Post
I'd see what your doctor recommends rather than rely on animal control.
Yep, I let the pediatrician office know that we do not know the vaccination status of the dog. They will pass this to our doctor, and he will make recommendations.
I also spoke with animal control officer. She will try to find out if the dog is vaccinated. She may need to go to their house and observe the dog - now, and then after 10 days.

Last edited by OhioToCO; 06-26-2017 at 02:13 PM..

Old 06-26-2017, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
I feel like youre making a mountain out of a mole hill at this stage.
I wasn't, until this whole mess unraveled. As I told pediatric nurse and animal control officer, I wasn't worried at all, until I found out the owners aren't even sure if the dog is vaccinated.

Old 06-26-2017, 02:23 PM

23,297 posts, read 18,837,889 times
Quote:

Do they have a vet? The office will have a record too. If they haven't taken their dog to a vet for anything in ages that's going to trigger animal control to act too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs