Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2017, 10:09 PM

4,514 posts, read 2,523,008 times

Advertisements

I've had large dogs live to be 17. (Chow mix), 16 (German shep/boxer mix), another that was 16 (chow border collie mix). So they can live longer.
I'd adopt another old dog in a heartbeat. They are so grateful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2017, 03:54 AM

30,523 posts, read 16,217,604 times
riaelise- you could show him these posts.

maybe that'll change his mind.

Old 06-30-2017, 06:53 AM

4,242 posts, read 947,399 times
We adopted an 11-year-old lab a few years ago who lived to 15. Owners gave him up because they were moving and were going to give him to a rescue. We couldn't bear that thought, especially a dog who had lived with a single family all of his life. We used to run into this dog on walks with ours, and we already knew how incredibly sweet and full of life he was. So he came to live with our family and we had four wonderful years with him. I agree with the other responders, the gratification that comes from knowing and loving an old dog is immeasurable. But I also agree, your husband has to be comfortable with it. Yes, maybe reading these posts would help.

Good luck to you!

Old 06-30-2017, 08:22 AM

3,782 posts, read 4,248,699 times
I have a friend in Cody WY who commonly fosters older dogs that people no longer want. I believe she currently has about four, and is about to get two more on Sunday. Her signature on her email sums it up....

"Blessed is the person who has earned the love of an old dog."

Old 06-30-2017, 08:57 AM

2,509 posts, read 2,496,877 times
I think older dogs are amazing but I do think when you are dealing with kids, sometimes it's hard to think about adopting an older dog that won't be around that long. So I can see the hesitancy with some parents. Not that it's a bad thing for kids to learn and see, but for some kids it could be hard.

Old 06-30-2017, 09:05 AM

3,605 posts, read 9,058,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookspage View Post
I think older dogs are amazing but I do think when you are dealing with kids, sometimes it's hard to think about adopting an older dog that won't be around that long. So I can see the hesitancy with some parents. Not that it's a bad thing for kids to learn and see, but for some kids it could be hard.
The next door neighbor's toddler was our old dog's best friend. When we knew her days were numbered I dreaded telling him that she was gone so I told his parents so they could address the situation first. They explained that Britty was getting old and would go to heaven soon like Grandpa did. His take away was that his Grandpa and Britty would play ball in heaven, I'm pretty good with that version of eternity through a three year olds eyes.

Old 06-30-2017, 10:22 AM

32,647 posts, read 48,028,221 times
While I am a big fan of older dogs, I am also a huge believer that every person in a family has to want the dog with full commitment.

Your husband doesn't want the senior citizen, OP, and his reason is a good one for himself. Some people deal with the grief of a lost pet better than others and your husband knows he can't go through it again so soon.

Leave this nice dog in his foster home. He is obviously getting love and attention and doesn't need to be rescued from a bad situation. Keep looking for an adult dog with fewer years, one that everyone in the family agrees on.

Old 06-30-2017, 12:58 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,743,972 times
My dog is TWENTY-ONE YEARS OLD and going strong. Just sayin'.

Old 06-30-2017, 01:00 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,587,684 times
I have a friend who has been a puppy raiser for guide dogs for the blind for years.They have always had a family dog too so her two daughters grew up knowing the guidedog pups would only be with them for12- 16 months.Each time the current pup went back to guide dogs it was a sad day for them but they survived it and found happiness knowing they were possibly helping someone . ( many of the pups do not pass school so end up with career changes or becoming pets) What a great thing to teach your kids .

Through the many years they actually ended up with one of the pups that got dropped by the school.One daughter has become a vet and the other actually works for guide dogs.A few years ago the school contacted them as they had gotten a 12-13 yr old former guide dog back and my friend had been the puppy raiser. They asked if she would be interested in taking in the old gal.She still had the family dog, had a new guide dog puppy but her and her husband decided yes they could give the old girl a home.They had her for a couple years and made sure her golden years were good ones. I think their taking her in touched me more then anything as older dogs are so special.

Years ago when I still had Jazz and Dash I volunteered a week at Best Friends Animal Sanctuary. One of my favorite places was the old dog home and I fell in love with an old cattle dog.He would come place his head in my lap and look directly in to my eyes .Jazz was part cattle dog and I knew what having a person means to them so I felt like he was saying please take me home as I need a person and I would like you to be my person.

I would have taken him in a heart beat, except I had Jazz and I was her person and she would not get along with this old guy thinking I was his person.Dash was not needy like that so he let her be top dog so they never had issues.I knew this old guy would end up in trouble with her so sadly I could not adopt him, but I left praying someone else would see what I saw in that old face.

I think it was about a year later that someone on here posted about the new senior dog they had adopted from best friends, they gave his name and I had to know more...turns out it was the sweet old cattle dog .It made my day to know he had found d a great home and was loved the rest of his days.

There is just something special about old dogs.

Old 06-30-2017, 01:34 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,478,210 times
Update: My husband is..kinda..coming around through no cajoling by me. I mentioned some of the words in the posts here and I think they reassured him at least a little bit. He asked me to send him a picture of the ol' fella.

I agree, Oregon, I should respect his wishes, and trust me, I do. I don't pull the wife card much and definitely don't persuade him do something that he doesn't want to do. If he's still against the adoption, then I'll accept that. We did agree to a meeting.

This may not work out for reasons other than age but I didn't want for us to miss out on a great dog because he was "up there".

I've been told that is quite spry however for 10 and is more active than his 7 year old foster brother. A true lab
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs