U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2017, 02:48 PM

103 posts, read 48,236 times

Advertisements

A few years ago we adopted an eleven year old dog. We only had her for five months before she passed, but it was one of the most rewarding pet experiences we've ever had. We made a point to enjoy every day we had and it was fun to spoil her rotten. I admit it was tough when we lost her but we took a lot of comfort in knowing she spent her final days surrounded with love.

Having said that, I would caution you that a senior dog needs a lot of attention and it might cause problems in your home if your husband isn't fully with the program.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2017, 03:48 PM

16,274 posts, read 10,270,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Update: My husband is..kinda..coming around through no cajoling by me. I mentioned some of the words in the posts here and I think they reassured him at least a little bit. He asked me to send him a picture of the ol' fella.

I agree, Oregon, I should respect his wishes, and trust me, I do. I don't pull the wife card much and definitely don't persuade him do something that he doesn't want to do. If he's still against the adoption, then I'll accept that. We did agree to a meeting.

This may not work out for reasons other than age but I didn't want for us to miss out on a great dog because he was "up there".

I've been told that is quite spry however for 10 and is more active than his 7 year old foster brother. A true lab
sounds like a good plan.

hope it works out for the old dog but at least hubby is open to the idea.

Old 07-01-2017, 08:15 AM

124 posts, read 66,540 times
We would adopt a senior again in a heartbeat. Ricky turned out to be the best dog ever! Being a minpin they have a longer life expectancy. He was 10 when his owner decided he was no longer needed when she had a 2 year old & was pregnant again. Don't know how someone could have a dog for 10 years & just get rid of it. Oh well, it was our gain! He was so laid back for a minpin. We were blessed with him for 7 years. He & my husband bonded instantly. He passed in my hubby's arms just one week shy of his 17 Birthday.

I know you are looking at a bigger dog. You & your husband wil know when you meet the right senior. They definately melt my heart. Good luck. Keep us posted.

Old 07-03-2017, 08:46 AM

10,727 posts, read 10,123,152 times
Just wanted to give an update:

As fate would have it, all it took was that one meeting, and hearing the dog's backstory and my husband fell in love. He told me, again without any cajoling, "Let's do it" "Ok, and you're fine with him being ten?" "Yes. Doesn't matter."

So, we are in the process of adopting Voodoo, a 10 year old black lab. Let me tell you though, that dog was SPRY. All lab, meaning endless tank of energy. And go figure, he's a jumper and a puller! That boy has strength indeed. Don't tell him that he's a senior citizen, though sometimes his age does kick in (our meeting wore the boy out and he took a nap). He has the perfect personality, so willing to please. He definitely needs training because he's never been a pet (he was a donor dog at a vet clinic) but the personality, well that shined through. He loves people so much and I can already see him laying at our side.

One thing we're going to have to work out is how he'll be with the rabbit. Buns is pretty mellow, but he's been through a lot having been found on a street. We want to take things slow in introducing them. Voodoo is hyper and likes to chase squirrels just for the exercise (like our golden, his attempts at actually catching one are pathetic) so he may be a bit much for Buns until we train him. We do look forward to training, and we're going to do it as a family.

My six year old got scared of him to the point of crying because he was jumping on people. He seems to only jump on adults, not kids, as he didn't even attempt with them. But watching him rear up to "hug" me spooked her. He is large, 70 lbs of MUSCLE. He didn't scare my eldest daughter. My six year old did say that she's just not used to large dogs and she'll need some time, and we'll work on the jumping. it's a learning curve for her too. but she said she wanted him and was petting him. Of course, we won't leave her alone with the dog, any dog.

Anyway, thanks for y'all's words and encouragement. We're so excited!
Attached Thumbnails
Adopting Senior Dogs-voodoo.jpg  

Last edited by riaelise; 07-03-2017 at 09:05 AM..

Old 07-03-2017, 09:12 AM

7,207 posts, read 4,097,128 times
Congratulations! I love happy endings.

Old 07-03-2017, 09:12 AM

4,706 posts, read 10,132,846 times
Glad to hear you are giving the old guy a home.Hope you share many happy years together.

Old 07-03-2017, 09:28 AM

15,148 posts, read 19,676,526 times
What a wonderful storybook ending! Here's hoping for many happy years together!

Old 07-03-2017, 10:09 AM

1,706 posts, read 1,210,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Just wanted to give an update:

As fate would have it, all it took was that one meeting, and hearing the dog's backstory and my husband fell in love. He told me, again without any cajoling, "Let's do it" "Ok, and you're fine with him being ten?" "Yes. Doesn't matter."

So, we are in the process of adopting Voodoo, a 10 year old black lab. Let me tell you though, that dog was SPRY. All lab, meaning endless tank of energy. And go figure, he's a jumper and a puller!

One thing we're going to have to work out is how he'll be with the rabbit.

My six year old got scared of him to the point of crying because he was jumping on people.
Awww- he is beautiful. Lucky boy!

Please get him into a basic obedience class to help you learn how to manage his energy and teach him good manners. You will want to find a trainer who is CPDT-KA certified who uses reward-based training. Any trainer worth their salt will let you sit in on a class to get a sense of their training method and teaching style.

Old 07-03-2017, 10:28 AM

16,274 posts, read 10,270,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFW46 View Post
What a wonderful storybook ending! Here's hoping for many happy years together!

^^^^^this!

Old 07-03-2017, 10:29 AM

10,727 posts, read 10,123,152 times
Thanks guys!

Twelvepaw, yes, we definitely plan on enrolling him in obedience classes. He's never been an inside/house pet, so he simply doesn't know much. But he does have an innate desire to please and is very motivated, so that helps a lot!

It's been six years, so we need a refresher course ourselves, plus training is a great way to bond with the dog and learn how to communicate. Our previous dog, a high energy Golden, came to us a "work in progress" as well and training was very beneficial. Going to get the kids involved in the classes as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or