U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2017, 06:45 PM

373 posts, read 235,372 times

Advertisements

I have a 10 year old long hair miniature daschund . Last night he got into it with something g in the back yard my family member said it was a toad , he's had this skunk like / sulfur smell stinking up
The entire house but it's not a skunk spray it's something else even the vet had no answer . It has stunk up
The entire house . We gabe him a bath but it's still on his breath and in the air

And then for an encore today he was at a friends house and ripped the leg off a dead rotting baby rabbit that was beating eaten by maggots I got him
To drop the leg but he smells absolutely
Disgusting from both events and have no idea what to do
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2017, 07:20 PM

5,410 posts, read 2,819,339 times
Fox pee smells like skunk spray but less strong.

Ditto for skunk cabbage.

What wild animals frequent your area? There are other animals with musk glands.

Maybe try bathing him in Simple Solution or another enzyme-based cleaner. It does well at removing stains and smells from the three Ps and blood. Worth trying.

Old 07-07-2017, 08:42 PM

373 posts, read 235,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
Fox pee smells like skunk spray but less strong.

Ditto for skunk cabbage.

What wild animals frequent your area? There are other animals with musk glands.

Maybe try bathing him in Simple Solution or another enzyme-based cleaner. It does well at removing stains and smells from the three Ps and blood. Worth trying.

We have a fenced in yard in a residential neighborhood with not much woods.

But we have a very humid climate , so lots of insects , frogs . I haven't seen fox . Bht we have possum , coy dogs , skunk , fisher cats .

My family
Members just assumes it was a frog but the odor is smelling up
The house and it seems to be only
Comming from
His mouth or head area .

And should I be concerned with him eating rotted rabbit ?

Also how would a fox urinate on my dog ? Or is it strong enough to be rolled in

Last edited by Upstateman92; 07-07-2017 at 09:00 PM..

Old 07-07-2017, 09:58 PM

Oh, fox pee is strong alright. I once left some watersport shoes outside on the ground so they could dry out in the sun.

Next time I used them, I noticed a very strong muskiness coming from them. Didn't take a genius to figure out a fox had marked them, since I had seen red fox around fairly often.

The scent required multiple washings and many weeks before it went away. And yes, getting it on my hands and feet made them smell, too. The stuff is more oily than watery. Or maybe it is a direct discharge from musk glands rather than mixed with pee. That I don't know.

I didn't think frogs had musk. But fisher cats might. Aren't they related to weasels, mustelids? OK, I gotta Google that now...

Old 07-07-2017, 10:06 PM

OK, fishers do indeed have "strong-smelling anal glands" according to Wikipedia.

That's probably the culprit, unless the smell is extremely powerful, which most likely is skunk.

I have no idea if your dog will get sick from eating rotten rabbit meat. It should be obvious if it happens. But parasitic infestations might not be obvious at first. Maybe your vet can help.

Old 07-07-2017, 10:20 PM

12,437 posts, read 31,491,210 times
Give him a Bath & Rinse with Vinager/Water Mix & Brush his Teeth Tongue & Gums Roof of Mouth!

Old 07-08-2017, 11:47 AM

13,408 posts, read 6,688,989 times
My dog rolled in some kind of animal urine I think - ew! I have apple cider vinegar. Anyone know at what concentration to mix it with water and spray on her? And maybe that would also help OP?

Old 07-08-2017, 08:56 PM

46 posts, read 25,091 times
Try this to de-skunk a dog:

Mix 1 quart 3% hydrogen peroxide (found at any pharmacy), 1/4 cup baking soda and 1 teaspoon dish washing detergent Dawn works well. Don't get it in the dogs eyes & don't let it sit too long as it may bleach the dog's fur. Rinse well & shampoo again with regular dog shampoo. Towel dry. Dog should be smelling sweet & fresh after all this.

If you get the skunk stink on your cloth wash with 1/2 cup baking soda with regular laundry detergent. Hope this helps!

Old 07-08-2017, 09:04 PM

13,408 posts, read 6,688,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
My dog rolled in some kind of animal urine I think - ew! I have apple cider vinegar. Anyone know at what concentration to mix it with water and spray on her? And maybe that would also help OP?
I googled this and it said equal parts with water, shake well, and spray down stinky dog! I'm off ......... pee-ew!

Old 07-08-2017, 11:04 PM

11,083 posts, read 12,464,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach Chic View Post
Try this to de-skunk a dog:

Mix 1 quart 3% hydrogen peroxide (found at any pharmacy), 1/4 cup baking soda and 1 teaspoon dish washing detergent Dawn works well. Don't get it in the dogs eyes & don't let it sit too long as it may bleach the dog's fur. Rinse well & shampoo again with regular dog shampoo. Towel dry. Dog should be smelling sweet & fresh after all this.

If you get the skunk stink on your cloth wash with 1/2 cup baking soda with regular laundry detergent. Hope this helps!

From experience of living in the country this works.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or