U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2017, 06:39 PM

2,512 posts, read 1,318,473 times

Advertisements

Why don't you offer your services to some shelters/rescues in your area?

Some of the pictures are so depressing that you see on Petfinder.

I bet if you took really unique pictures of the dogs (and cats) you could help them find homes. And I bet the volunteers and staff would love you taking that task off their plate!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2017, 05:37 AM

1,443 posts, read 635,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookspage View Post
Why don't you offer your services to some shelters/rescues in your area?

Some of the pictures are so depressing that you see on Petfinder.

I bet if you took really unique pictures of the dogs (and cats) you could help them find homes. And I bet the volunteers and staff would love you taking that task off their plate!
Actually I'd enjoy doing that. Thanks for the suggestion.

Old 07-23-2017, 10:09 AM

One more picture. Anyone know what breed this dog is? I just assumed it was a mini poodle but someone on Flickr said they thought it was a Tibetan Terrier.

Old 08-14-2017, 11:37 AM

Update: I contacted one animal shelter to offer my services but unfortunately never heard back. I'm going to try a few more. Apparently there's a guy called "The Dogist" who photographs random dogs for a living! This 5 min video about him is awesome:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9eeOXMO7Iw I now have one of his books.

I'm not on the level of The Dogist by any means but I like this one I took. There's something fascinating about a dog being in heaven with an old worn out ball in an age where people (including me at times) must have the newest, shiniest gadgets and devices.

It was funny: the dog ran over to me and the owner said, "He wants to play fetch." He really just wanted to play tug of war! And wow, was he strong. I didn't stand a chance.

Last edited by PGH423; 08-14-2017 at 11:56 AM.. Reason: Typos

Old 08-15-2017, 07:21 PM

1,004 posts, read 573,165 times
I have had a couple people ask to photograph and video my yorkiepoo. I have no problem with it.

Old 08-16-2017, 02:41 PM

458 posts, read 854,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGH423 View Post
I love photography. I go to parks with my DSLR. Occasionally, if I see a dog I like, I'll ask if the dog is friendly, and if so pet him/her for a little while and talk with the owner. If someone did this and then said, "Could I take a picture of the dog?" would that be weird or bother you? I've done this a few times and the owner has always said yes but I always feel a little awkward doing it.
I wouldn't feel weird about it, but I also wouldn't hesitate to just take it without asking. I've done this before and I'll share a some positive experiences.

A guy at my local unofficial dog park used to bring his 2 big gentle newfies and they were like big black bears. I took photos of them and other dogs that caught my attention, besides my own two. Months later we saw him with just one dog and found out the other had died or been put down. He was a nice guy, but a bit introverted/closed off (like me, but worse). I wanted to surprise him with some photos of his late dog that I had taken, so I printed some out and put them in an envelope and took them with me a few times hoping to run into him. I knew where he lived, but I felt weird just dropping them off there. I think the 2nd time, I saw him and presented him the photos. He was very surprised and grateful and I offered to send him the digital copies too and he gave me his card. The next time I saw him he relayed that his wife was very touched by the gesture. I saw him other times and I can never tell if he remembers me or not. Every time I talked to him it was like we were meeting for the first time and he had amnesia, but that's another story. Some people are just like that.

My ex GF uses a dog walking service and the owner had a dog I adored, so I used to take photos of him when I had my camera, so after he passed, I did the same thing for her and gave her a nice matted photo of her baby and it made her very happy.

You never know how valuable and meaningful a photo can be.

Another funny outcome was when I would go to a beagle meet up group, I'd take photos of some of the beagles I liked and post them to the group site. Most people were happy about it and some many took their own, but in one situation someone complained because there were no photos of her beagle (hard to tell if she was kidding or being serious). So if you're a photographer I guess some people assume you're the official photographer and obliged to take some for them! Kinda weird...who doesn't take photos of their own dogs?

Old 08-21-2017, 12:08 PM

2,048 posts, read 2,800,589 times
Please make sure it's on a day when I bring the frisbee, and get my email so you can send me a good action shot or two. i would be stoked.

I think it would be a good side/weekend business, if your photography is good I would pay a few bucks for some nice 8x10s of my dogs. A good website, watermark all your photos and hand out cards to interested people at the dog park.

Old 08-21-2017, 04:18 PM

4,707 posts, read 10,144,133 times
Very nice photo of the bulldog with his ball. Bulldogs are a fun breed to take photos of as they tend to have such great expressions.

Old 08-22-2017, 11:06 AM

2,035 posts, read 2,284,181 times
I had an older woman taking photos of my dog at the dog park. I never asked her why I was just happy she wanted some pictures of my dog. She was taking them while my dog was playing ball.

Old 08-22-2017, 04:28 PM

4,707 posts, read 10,144,133 times
Dogs are just fun subjects to photograph and the expressions you can capture that happen so fast the human eye misses them make it that much more fun
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or