U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2017, 02:19 PM

1,424 posts, read 623,360 times

Advertisements

I love photography. I go to parks with my DSLR. Occasionally, if I see a dog I like, I'll ask if the dog is friendly, and if so pet him/her for a little while and talk with the owner. If someone did this and then said, "Could I take a picture of the dog?" would that be weird or bother you? I've done this a few times and the owner has always said yes but I always feel a little awkward doing it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2017, 04:41 PM

1,752 posts, read 3,733,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGH423 View Post
I love photography. I go to parks with my DSLR. Occasionally, if I see a dog I like, I'll ask if the dog is friendly, and if so pet him/her for a little while and talk with the owner. If someone did this and then said, "Could I take a picture of the dog?" would that be weird or bother you? I've done this a few times and the owner has always said yes but I always feel a little awkward doing it.
I wouldn't have a problem with it. You are asking which is more than some would do.

Old 07-09-2017, 04:58 PM

16,247 posts, read 10,248,288 times
Not sure why you feel uncomfortable doing it. It's a courtesy and a compliment.

You might even offer to give/send a copy to the owner. They may or may not but at least it's an offfer.

Old 07-09-2017, 04:59 PM

3,785 posts, read 9,183,434 times
I'd ask why. So, I'll ask, why are you taking pictures of stranger's dogs?

Old 07-09-2017, 05:27 PM

4,704 posts, read 10,115,618 times
When the dogs were younger and we went to the dog park everyday ,sometimes I would bring my camera sit on the ground and take photos not only of my dog but other dogs playing.Dogs are fun subjects and the camera can catch things our vision is not fast enough to see.

A few of the dogs died, one very young another very old and when I found out I printed some great photos that showed who the dogs were and gave them to the owners. .no we were not friends so they were taken by surprise.The young poodle belonged to an older lady and was starting to be trained as a service dog ,someone tossed poisoned meat into her yard and the dog ate it and died.The old lady was heartbroken, I knew the trainer working with them so gave her some really nice photos of the dog to give to the lady. The old lady got my address and sent me a very touching thank you as she said she really did not have any nice photos of the dog so these photos meant a lot to her.

I never had someone say do not take photos of my dog,rather people would ask if I got any of their dog.

Old 07-09-2017, 05:32 PM

1,424 posts, read 623,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bande1102 View Post
That's a reasonable question. The short answer is it's an enjoyable form of art for me. The longer answer is that I find dog expressions and behavior to show many interesting elements of human existence. One of my favorite books (can't find the title now) was one that had about 100 pictures of dogs showing joy, sadness, courage, and more.

Old 07-09-2017, 05:33 PM

28,375 posts, read 61,694,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGH423 View Post
...if I see a dog I like, I'll ask if the dog is friendly...and then said, "Could I take a picture of the dog?"
You can come take a picture of Cheech anytime you like.
He's very photogenic, loves to mug and most of his friends have a similar nature.

Old 07-09-2017, 05:39 PM

121 posts, read 61,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bande1102 View Post
So you can capture images like this one:

Zenfolio | Ted Mase Photography | SARASOTA FLORIDA | Photo 7

Sarasota photographer Ted Mase told me that he was at Bayfront Park and saw this dog’s owners play ball with him. He asked for permission, took this picture, and – yes – I purchased it.

Old 07-09-2017, 05:45 PM

4,704 posts, read 10,115,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
You can come take a picture of Cheech anytime you like.
He's very photogenic, loves to mug and most of his friends have a similar nature.
I have to laugh as my dogs see a camera and will pose and try to get in photos.Daz is the best at it as he sees a guy taking photos of his girlfriend on the beach and he runs over and poses with her.He is a handsome elegant dog sporting a huge grin so people so far have enjoyed his antics with the exception of some guy that had a carpet of fake grass , a plastic flamingo and a bike on the beach and was taking photos, Daz saw that and raced over planning to be in the shots that guy saw no humor in it so I had to call him and lead him away from that area of the beach.

Old 07-09-2017, 08:22 PM

1,463 posts, read 884,911 times
I think dogs are very photogenic; so I can understand why you want to take photos of dogs. It's good that you ask permission from the owners. I don't see any problem; I've had strangers take photos of my dogs in parks; I didn't mind; some of them sent the photos to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or