Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2017, 11:29 AM

3,782 posts, read 4,220,416 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
The other cats should be rehomed. Dogs rule.
Glad to say I no longer have any stray cats around here. Let's say they have been rehomed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2017, 11:45 AM

4,315 posts, read 3,970,425 times
In my area I used to farm, the game warden said the #1 predator for killing deer was dog packs. Many of them were farm dogs who roamed at night.

They killed for the thrill and sure weren't starving.

A dog that kills for the thrill is similar to a serial killer,rapist, or pedophile.

Unlikely they will stop on their own.

Old 07-11-2017, 11:56 AM

32,541 posts, read 47,642,724 times
A dog that kills a cat that the dog lives with in the same house is not considered safe around cats. He may not be safe around squirrels, but dogs do not progress from killing cats to killing humans. Nor do they progress from killing cats to killing other dogs.

I kill chickens and rabbits and ducks and turkeys. I eat them. But I have never felt any urge to start killing other humans, or dogs. Prey is prey and one's social network is quite different from prey.

Dogs are genetically programed to kill prey animals. Some of that can be over come with training. None of that turns them into serial killers of their own species.

Old 07-11-2017, 12:27 PM

10,336 posts, read 7,918,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
A dog that kills a cat that the dog lives with in the same house is not considered safe around cats. He may not be safe around squirrels, but dogs do not progress from killing cats to killing humans. Nor do they progress from killing cats to killing other dogs.

Dogs are genetically programed to kill prey animals. Some of that can be over come with training.
Exactly. Dogs are PREDATORS, people! Chasing and killing small animals is normal dog behavior, just as cats killing mice and small birds is normal feline behavior. Individual dogs can differ a lot in how much prey drive they possess, but they all possess some.

A dog with a high prey drive such as the one the OP describes needs to be managed so it doesn't kill inappropriate things (such as pet cats and domestic livestock). Provided a suitable cat-free home can be found for the dog and the animal is never allowed to roam freely, there's no need to euthanize it. Proper use of a collar and leash is all that is needed in this case.

Old 07-11-2017, 12:27 PM

4,357 posts, read 6,508,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
LOL . yeah I don't have any cats . hubs is horribly allergic I feed the feral outside cats though .
I'm horribly allergic to cats, my wife feeds the feral cats that are attracted to the crazy cat lady across the street.

Not a big deal with the dog having dispatched a cat, who actually knows the circumstances? My dog used to tree the cats on a regular basis, never did catch one. Doubt it would change her habits if she did. It was instinct after all, nothing more.

Old 07-11-2017, 01:03 PM

3,248 posts, read 2,442,400 times
Personally, I would put the dog down if they did this. I would just be sick over it and could never look at the animal the same way.

I had a friend who adopted a shelter dog of a controversial breed which will not be named for fear of that whole discussion starting that lived peacefully with a cat for several years. She came home one day to carnage. Never figured out why-- the cat and dog slept together and were buddies, the cat was very docile and the dog seemed to be too. After she cleaned up the mess, the dog went right to the vet to be put down. Totally traumatic. Can't say that I blamed her.

Old 07-11-2017, 01:11 PM

4,321 posts, read 5,117,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
Personally, I would put the dog down if they did this. I would just be sick over it and could never look at the animal the same way.

I had a friend who adopted a shelter dog of a controversial breed which will not be named for fear of that whole discussion starting that lived peacefully with a cat for several years. She came home one day to carnage. Never figured out why-- the cat and dog slept together and were buddies, the cat was very docile and the dog seemed to be too. After she cleaned up the mess, the dog went right to the vet to be put down. Totally traumatic. Can't say that I blamed her.
This would be my thoughts as well. At minimum, if attempting to re-home this dog, the ad/info on the dog should clearly mention this event (and danger to other cats).

I'd think a little different if the dog and cat were new to each other.

Old 07-11-2017, 01:19 PM

50,123 posts, read 63,531,418 times
A dogs natural instinct is to chase things. Cats are very chase-able. Unless a dog was raised that cats are off limits, it will not differentiate.
I see no danger in rehoming a dog to a cat free household. Even very good dogs chase and kill things. My Brittany adored chasing squirrels. She was very disappointed when the few she caught stopped moving. She didn't intend for them to die.

Last edited by gentlearts; 07-11-2017 at 01:51 PM..

Old 07-11-2017, 01:22 PM

21,108 posts, read 13,467,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
LOL . yeah I don't have any cats . hubs is horribly allergic I feed the feral outside cats though .

Old 07-11-2017, 01:27 PM

21,108 posts, read 13,467,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
A dogs natural instinct is to chase things. Cats are very chase-able. Unless a dog was raised that cats are off limits, it will not differentiate.
I see no danger in rehoming a dog to a cat free household. Even very good dogs chase and kill things. My Brittany adored chasing squirrels. She was very disappointed when the few she caught stopped moving.
Awe. That is sad for both of them! Mine scares possums into 'playing dead' and is also let down there is no more game of chase.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs