Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2017, 08:57 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,670,889 times

Advertisements

I can't stand to look inside his mouth but he's been acting funny lately. He's had his head down as if he had a headache and he would hide behind a chair. We thought he might be sick but he was eating and he still got all excited about going for a walk.

Tonight I found a big tooth under the chair. It's one of the big curved canine teeth. Dog is a Pomeranian, really cute and this tooth was huge, like a tusk. My previous Pomeranian lost his lower front middle teeth at about age 10 but never lost those big teeth. This current dog is almost 13 years old. The last thing we need is more vet bills. Should I look inside his mouth? Should I take him to the vet? Could it get infected? Are all his teeth going to fall out? Is this at all normal? I am so freaked out by this and I don't know if I can even come back to this thread for a while.

Thanks for any advice or input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2017, 02:40 AM

13,926 posts, read 39,288,552 times
Trip to the Vet!

Old 07-12-2017, 02:51 AM

10,048 posts, read 18,066,509 times
OP, my kitty Mabel (1991-2007) lost a bunch of teeth. Typically she would be eating dry food, and one would fall out, and she would totally freak out (as would I when I found the tooth).

Mabel's freak-out typically lasted 1 day. By the next day, she would be eating normally again.

IIRC I took her to the vet the first time this happened, and the vet said she may have had some congenital issue where her teeth were prone to coming out. (Her littermate Satay didn't have this problem.)

Again, it never affected her eating! She had a hearty appetite and was a bit tubby. But I loved her dearly ...

Old 07-12-2017, 06:48 AM

4,876 posts, read 4,203,824 times
I don't think it's a huge problem. I had a dog that broke one of his canines and he was fine. However, most of the questions you are asking are better asked of a vet. The answers you would get would be more specific to your little guy and would ease your mind.

Old 07-12-2017, 07:47 AM

10,352 posts, read 7,984,186 times
Permanent teeth don't just fall out for no reason. It's time for a vet visit.

Old 07-12-2017, 08:19 AM

1,483 posts, read 1,382,072 times
Agreed, as much as you may dread vet bills (I think that's the biggest bane of a pet owner, the high cost of veterinary care) if your dog has one or more bad teeth it needs to be addressed as soon as you can. Bad teeth can cause gum inflammation, swelling, discomfort to the point of not being able to eat, and can lead to death if the problem is not addressed and infection takes over...minimally, a bad tooth may become infected and fall out, but often there is more than one tooth involved, affecting gums and surrounding tissues. If let go, infection from a bad tooth can get into the bloodstream and affect the heart and other organs, and in extreme cases can cause death. But any time an animal has dental problems, it's fairly safe to assume that they are having discomfort in the mouth...not something you'd want your pet to deal with long-term.

Definitely a visit to the vet, at the very least to get an assessment to see what's going on. Hopefully this may have been a single tooth that went bad, loosened and fell out. But get him assessed; the vet will be able to see if there are any ongoing concerns that need immediate attention, can give you information on how to keep your dog's mouth healthy, and will be able to help you prevent any further issues from developing.

Old 07-12-2017, 09:16 AM

2,609 posts, read 2,188,904 times
I've known a few people whose small dogs lost their teeth. One was a Pomeranian. The Pomona was elderly and had no teeth only ate soft foods. I don't know details but she did say the last few were removed by vet. It was a very welled cared for no expense spared I'm sure. I wonder if it's possibly not uncommon for miniature breeds to loose teeth.

Old 07-12-2017, 09:28 AM

4,286 posts, read 4,760,161 times
Agree a trip to the vet is in order. There could very well be an infection going on and/or more teeth may need to be pulled.

Old 07-12-2017, 09:37 AM

10,352 posts, read 7,984,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan123 View Post
Agree a trip to the vet is in order. There could very well be an infection going on and/or more teeth may need to be pulled.
A tumor could cause tooth loss as well. It's not the likeliest cause of tooth loss, but definitely the most serious.

Old 07-12-2017, 11:21 AM

32,643 posts, read 48,015,234 times
Open the dog's mouth and see if a canine tooth is missing. Root included, the canines are rather long.

Are the teeth dirty? If they are covered in tartar, I suspect that you have to pay for a tooth cleaning. Dirty teeth can actually cause heart problems. Poms have a tendency for heart problems, anyway, so best to take care of the teeth
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs