U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2017, 10:11 PM

1 posts, read 338 times

Advertisements

I adopted a dog this past Saturday,. We picked him up at a PetSmart adoption center.. he was mellow and calm even when brought outside of the cage. They told us he just had surger two days before. So we brought him home. And I noticed he didn't wanna eat or walk. Not even drink water... So we made an appointment with the vet and they said he was fine that all it seemed was a minor infection and perhaps getting used to his new home. And what not. They told us to buy this high protein food and gave us some meds that were kinda expensive.. but he still won't eat, drink or wants to walk. I changed the food twice already and bought lots of can food see if he might eat that. But he didn't.. he's having a hard time breathing and when he does walk he ends up caughing, I'm considering taking the dog back try to get another one much healthy for my kids. That's the reason I got this dog for my kids but it's not even playing or walking. I don't want my kids to see this dog die in our home.. i don't know. I'm feeling guilt just thinking of taking this dog back. But I don't know what to do... This poor dog is not eating or drinking water. I gave the meds they prescribed for him but I didn't see any best results.. any advice will help me at this point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2017, 11:57 PM

4,707 posts, read 10,144,133 times
I am guessing the surgery was a neutering? Have you called the vet to tell him the dog is no better? If so and he still feels there is nothing wrong I would take him to another vet ASAP to get a second opinion as it sounds like the infection maybe more serious then the other vet thinks and or they antibiotics they gave are not the right ones for that type of infection.

Years ago Dash who lived to eat suddenly would not eat and was very lethargic did not want to go a walk which was not normal for him so I got him right into the vet. He had a UTI caused by a bladder stone and was hours away from becoming septic . Sepsis is very deadly if not caught in time. He had surgery to remove the stone and antibiotics to treat the UTI and made a full recovery.

The other time I had a dog become so sick it did not want to eat drink or move was Phoenix, she was older and had developed a pneumonia. She spent a dew days in the hospital and then came home and while the pneumonia cleared up she still appeared sick. She had kidney disease and all the antibiotics to treat the pneumonia put her into kidney failure and we tried for a week to turn her around but had no luck so I had her put down.

If your dogs is having a hard time breathing and coughing it could be pneumonia or even heart failure so please get him to a vet ASAP.

Old 07-20-2017, 12:46 AM

2,016 posts, read 784,242 times
If he is having a hard time breathing take him to vet that did surgery. Maybe notify rescue/shelter first. Could be pneumonia from the intubation tube, or a blood clot/embolism.
Be aware that even healthy dogs will act different in a new home for up to a month. They are stressed and in a new environment. Their world has turned upside down, and they may have been reaaly traumatized from the shelter environment. Any dog you get will need an adjustment period. Most behaviorist recommend a strict schedule, brisk walks to relieve anxiety, and time being left alone to sleep. (Not locking away, but a quiet place the dog can go an not be disturbed. Kids need to know if dog is in his bed or quiet place they leave him alone.).

Old 07-20-2017, 04:09 AM

15,264 posts, read 12,523,140 times
Poor thing it needs peace and quiet although I dont like him not drinking .. I feel so sorry for the wee thing.. and he needs to see a vet as he might be in a lot of pain. is he shaking or shivering..

Old 07-20-2017, 06:48 AM

13,675 posts, read 13,528,021 times
Did you let the rescue know? They should be handling any expenses involved with this based on my experiences with rescues and their guarantees. Generally the first 30 days of healthcare are covered, though that can vary.

My friend's dog had major surgery and spent several days after puking up whatever she was fed. It sounds like something else is going on with your dog. And it could be entirely fixable.

Contact the rescue and then contact the vet. The coughing and refusal of food and water is what concerns me. Some of it could be new surroundings but this is a bit extreme.

Old 07-20-2017, 07:52 AM

3,970 posts, read 2,575,334 times
If it weren't for the coughing and heavy breathing, I wouldn't be concerned. Dogs can take a few days to settle in. I have to say that the coughing and heavy breathing are concerning. I would call the rescue you adopted him from and see if they could recommend another vet. I think a second vet visit is in order if you haven't seen any improvement.

Has the dog been tested for heart worms?

Thank you for adopting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or