Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2017, 03:10 PM

20,758 posts, read 19,964,416 times

Advertisements

I have a wonderful, brand new truck and would like to keep it clean for as long as I can.

My dog is a horrible shedder. Just once a year but for 365 days .

I have the backseats (crew cab) folded up and my dog is in an soft carrier, closed on 3 sides. Even though I lift her into it and out of it, the 6 week old truck cab is already covered in dog hair!! UN BE LIEV ABLE.

So my dear dog lovers - why don't I see more people transporting their dogs on truck beds in enclosed/airplane/plastic carriers/kennels/cages safely tied down?

like this one
https://www.chewy.com/petmate-sky-ke...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
It is safe. Doesn't move around. Dog is inside. Shouldn't be too much wind (plastic on three sides). It won't rain until late fall. Not cold either. Sooo... anyone knows?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2017, 04:44 PM

3,782 posts, read 4,247,648 times
HOT is one reason why, not much airflow inside those closed sides that gets to the dog. Unless fastened in they can slide around in the bed. There is a turbulence in the back more than a straight airflow from front to back. Hunters I know generally use open cage types to keep ventilation to the dog and they keep the cage as close to the truck cab as possible.

But it is your dog, do what you want.

I get a new truck every two years, and my dogs are welcome to sit in the back. I do use a hammock style cover to cover the leather and I strap them in with harnesses attached to seat belt buckles. Just installed this on in my GMC yesterday... https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/07...g?v=1499403005

Oh as for the fur. I have two 100+ Malamutes so I cannot imagine your dog shedding more than these pups do every day of the year. After they have been in the vehicle for one trip, I can drive around town with the windows open at about 45 and the fur flying around inside the vehicle makes the interior look like one of those snow globes they used to sell (maybe still do) after it has been shook up.

It's just life with a dog and the thought of my dogs being imprisoned in the back of my PU truck bed is something I do not want to even think about. But it is your dog.

Like I tell everyone who comes over to my house...."Fur is Just Another Condiment." Live with it or leave.

Old 07-18-2017, 06:23 PM

8,550 posts, read 10,973,619 times
To answer your question why more people don't put their dogs in the pickup bed, in Los Angeles it is illegal to carry persons, or animals in the pickup bed, regardless if they are secured.

This all cam about as the result of a horrific accident on the Hollywood freeway some years back, when (can't remember the amount of people) were tossed on to the freeway when the truck swerved to avoid hitting another vehicle.
They were not secured by anything, just sitting in the pickup bed.
Soon after,the city(and maybe even the state) adopted the rule, only cargo is to be allowed in the pickup bed.

Bob.

Old 07-18-2017, 07:12 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
I have a wonderful, brand new truck and would like to keep it clean for as long as I can.
My dog is a horrible shedder. Just once a year but for 365 days .

I have the backseats (crew cab) folded up and my dog is in an soft carrier, closed on 3 sides. Even though I lift her into it and out of it, the 6 week old truck cab is already covered in dog hair!! UN BE LIEV ABLE.

So my dear dog lovers?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3Qr6omvRVI

Old 07-19-2017, 06:24 AM

14,376 posts, read 18,369,736 times
I used to let my border collies ride around in the bed of my truck with the cap on. One day, I was headed out to run an errand on my lunch break. I debated bringing the dogs with me, but ended up deciding against it. Got rear-ended on the way home - crumpled the bed and filled it with broken glass from the cap.

If I'd had my dogs back there, they'd have been dead. My dogs will never ride in a truck bed again. It's not worth the risk.

Old 07-19-2017, 07:10 AM

1,483 posts, read 1,382,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
I used to let my border collies ride around in the bed of my truck with the cap on. One day, I was headed out to run an errand on my lunch break. I debated bringing the dogs with me, but ended up deciding against it. Got rear-ended on the way home - crumpled the bed and filled it with broken glass from the cap.

If I'd had my dogs back there, they'd have been dead. My dogs will never ride in a truck bed again. It's not worth the risk.
Forum won't allow me to rep you, so I'll just give two paws up here. A perfect example of why dogs should be placed in the safety of a truck cab, rather than in the bed at the back. I'd much rather put up with having to vac the truck to remove hair, than to risk the lives of my pets.

P.S. Dogs who are brushed once or twice a day (even those ultra-heavy shedders) will greatly reduce hair explosion on surfaces, once it becomes part of one's routine.

Old 07-19-2017, 08:29 AM

12,477 posts, read 17,791,113 times
I would Never, Ever allow my dogs in the back of a truck. Period. It pisses me off when I see it happening.

Old 07-19-2017, 09:13 AM

143 posts, read 144,390 times
Most crates are only meant to confine the dog. In crash tests regular plastic crates shattered on impact releasing the dog and creating sharp shards. They did better than folding wire crates that caved in and skewered the dog. If you really want to transport your dog safely in the back of a pick up your going to have to shell out big money to get metal dog box like hunters use.

Old 07-19-2017, 09:22 AM

okay, thanks guys for the info.

Here in Oxnard it is never really hot or cold so that's why I was asking, I was thinking this is the perfect climate to have a dog carrier and keep my truck clean inside. I don't do long distances usually either (I have a different vehicle for that) so it is not that she would be sitting in the cage for hours.

I see lots of dogs in beds - but not tied down and not safe at all. I would NEVER do that.

I have not considered rear ending, etc.

Old 07-19-2017, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop View Post
HOT is one reason why, not much airflow inside those closed sides that gets to the dog. Unless fastened in they can slide around in the bed. There is a turbulence in the back more than a straight airflow from front to back. Hunters I know generally use open cage types to keep ventilation to the dog and they keep the cage as close to the truck cab as possible.

But it is your dog, do what you want.

I get a new truck every two years, and my dogs are welcome to sit in the back. I do use a hammock style cover to cover the leather and I strap them in with harnesses attached to seat belt buckles. Just installed this on in my GMC yesterday... https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/07...g?v=1499403005

Oh as for the fur. I have two 100+ Malamutes so I cannot imagine your dog shedding more than these pups do every day of the year. After they have been in the vehicle for one trip, I can drive around town with the windows open at about 45 and the fur flying around inside the vehicle makes the interior look like one of those snow globes they used to sell (maybe still do) after it has been shook up.

It's just life with a dog and the thought of my dogs being imprisoned in the back of my PU truck bed is something I do not want to even think about. But it is your dog.

Like I tell everyone who comes over to my house...."Fur is Just Another Condiment." Live with it or leave.
I got those same covers, and seat covers and blanket and soft kennel for my dog and I put tape on the door so she cannot scratch it when I lift her into it - still - hair is in every little imaginable spot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs