Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2017, 09:39 AM

1,695 posts, read 3,043,336 times

Advertisements

We are in S FLorida, and currently renting on the 12th floor of a downtown high rise.
Every day there are thunderstorms, followed by thunder & followed by thunder some more. It's been ridiculous! And I think being this high up, in the midst of a bunch of high rises, the thunder reverbs even more. And the thunder really picked up as soon as the July 4 fireworks ended - fireworks all around us for a week.

So my little 10 lb terrier is PETRIFIED of noises - thunder, fireworks, truck engines, skateboards, lawnmowers, etc.

She has been hiding in the closet most of the day & night. We put her to sleep in her bed at night, but she leaves when the thunder hits, and then won't come out. It took half an hour today to get her out of her crate, which is in the closet. She has to be carried out of the house to go for walks. She will eat her breakfast & dinner, but now she is backing away from "treats" (she loves to clean our yogurt bowl, or fruit or veggies) - actually acting scared of the bowl!

This has been going on for 5 years, but much much worse this past month or so. We have tried so many things: Thundershirt, bock flower essences, acupuncture, probiotics, benadryl, lavender, several different OTC calming medications, a few different trainers, has done terrier racing, agility, flyball, obedience, Canine good citizenship, and tricks class. Currently we are giving her cannabis.

It is so painful to see her like this. (Maybe I should use her cannabis!) She used to be a happy dog, loving to run, chase a ball, snuggle, play - now she just lays around most of the time. Once in a great while I see that dog who loves to play, and that makes us laugh. But there's not enough of that lately.

Any other suggestions (other than moving <G>)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2017, 09:47 AM

5,007 posts, read 10,684,206 times
Sounds like a severe case of trauma/PTSD. I think that it is time to enlist the services of a behaviorist who specializes in trauma (like one who has worked with military service dogs). Or talk to your vet about anti-anxiety meds...?

So sorry that you and your pooch are going through this.

Old 07-21-2017, 09:47 AM

1,829 posts, read 2,234,864 times
I sat with mine one 4th of July, and hugged and petted them, and pointed to the fireworks and said things like "Look" "Wow" "Pretty" in a calm and happy tone. Two of my three are now OK with fireworks, and I can sit with them and watch fireworks without their being anxiety, the third never has adjusted. So obviously this is not a "works every time" solution, but if the dog picks up on you being OK with, if not positive about the noise of a thunderstorm, that may calm them significantly because they trust you - worked with two of my three...

Old 07-21-2017, 10:14 AM

17,400 posts, read 11,967,439 times
I have a rescue Beagle that is in terror every time there is a storm. She's OK with fireworks (thankfully) but has eaten through a wooden door during a storm. I've tried all sorts of stuff, but a friend recommended I try Calm-a-Mile RTU by AnimalEO. I ordered it, but haven't needed to try it out yet. But her dog, who is frantic during storms, slept through the last one thanks to this. You might want to give it a try.

Old 07-21-2017, 10:20 AM

4,510 posts, read 5,048,411 times
Have you thought of one of those ' Thunder shirts' for dogs ? I've never used one but it might work for your pup.

Old 07-21-2017, 10:30 AM

4,713 posts, read 3,469,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodpete View Post
Have you thought of one of those ' Thunder shirts' for dogs ? I've never used one but it might work for your pup.
I wrote this, too, but deleted it because the OP has tried it.

Old 07-21-2017, 10:38 AM

15,632 posts, read 24,416,751 times
I get alprazolam (generic Xanax -- an anti-anxiety prescription drug) from my vet for my dog who also has terrible thunder/fireworks/noises fear. Before I started giving her this drug, she used to go totally crazy, running from door to door, scratching at exterior doors, crying, tearing up rugs, not ever acknowledging my presence, etc. Now I give her the alprazolam 20-30 minutes before a storm or expected fireworks, etc and she's totally relaxed -- not zonked out but calm and easy-going. If a storm pops up unexpectedly and I dont give her the med beforehand, it still relaxes her within 20-30 minutes.

Old 07-21-2017, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
Sounds like a severe case of trauma/PTSD. I think that it is time to enlist the services of a behaviorist who specializes in trauma (like one who has worked with military service dogs). Or talk to your vet about anti-anxiety meds...?

So sorry that you and your pooch are going through this.
OOPS - I missed adding that she had tried two different anti-anxiety meds - Xanax, and don't recall the other one.

Old 07-21-2017, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFW46 View Post
I get alprazolam (generic Xanax -- an anti-anxiety prescription drug) from my vet for my dog who also has terrible thunder/fireworks/noises fear. Before I started giving her this drug, she used to go totally crazy, running from door to door, scratching at exterior doors, crying, tearing up rugs, not ever acknowledging my presence, etc. Now I give her the alprazolam 20-30 minutes before a storm or expected fireworks, etc and she's totally relaxed -- not zonked out but calm and easy-going. If a storm pops up unexpectedly and I dont give her the med beforehand, it still relaxes her within 20-30 minutes.

I apologize for forgetting that we had been giving her Xanax, to no avail. THe other problem with that is the storms here just keep coming - even when it is sunny, we are hearing thunder at this time of year.

Also forgot that I did use some kind of essential oil combo in a diffuser. Didn't work.

Maybe my solution is to move to like Maine for the summer!

Old 07-21-2017, 10:57 AM

15,632 posts, read 24,416,751 times
My heart goes out to dogs with this fear. And I understand how it is this time of year, when they can hear distant thunder regularly, even without rain/storms in the immediate area.

Sorry that Xanax didnt work for her. It originally didnt work for my dog either -- until the vet told me to increase the dosage to the maximum allowed. Since your dog is so small, I know you have to be careful about dosing her but maybe discuss, with the vet, increasing the dosage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs