Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2017, 01:57 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,760,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
Good news day 2 of phenobarbital seems to have helped lessen the seizures. I'm holding on to cannapet for an emergency.

I have her some coconut oil last night. May have been too much. I'll give it to her less and slower. I also read to cut out high carbohydrates. My parents were giving her rice.
Please stop treating her with based on things you read on the Internet. I know you want to help her but what you are doing is not helpful and may be making things worse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2017, 04:51 PM

5,624 posts, read 6,842,850 times
Our lab had/has seizures. I posted about it on here if you search.

She randomly started having them. We switched her food ( from crap brand to Blue) and exercised her more. That made her seizure free for years. Then we took her to the dog park and she started having seizures again. The new vet said the med can have some nasty side effects and to wait on trying it unless she keeps on having them. ( she had 2 in a week and they were BAD). We waited and shes been seizure free since April. Her b/w came back normal too.

Im not a vet but i would try something that easy- switch to a better food and walk more. If all else fails, then the meds.

Old 07-29-2017, 11:26 AM

4,932 posts, read 12,758,700 times
I've reduced the amount of coconut oil and talked to the vet about it. The vet said it was not the coconut oil that upset her but the fact she wasn't awake enough to fully swallow.

I give her half a tea spoon in the morning of coconut oil. My vet said the same thing that there is no proven research it works but she said some vets and patients said it has worked .

It's my moms dog and my mom says no to the hemp pills so I'm following that.

The seizures now seem to be once or twice at night. We started phenobarbital on the 24th. So hopefully by Tuesday these nasty side affects lessen.

I've noticed getting her to drink or a semi wet rag helps after the seizures bc it cools her down.

I think the only thing I can do is wait for two weeks and hope the meds side affects wear off.

Old 07-29-2017, 01:38 PM

2,528 posts, read 2,777,621 times
Does your vet know that she is seizing once or twice within 24 hours? Control is considered to be one seizure per month. Yes, keeping her cool is good. They get hot from the exertion of the seizure and they tend to be body sore after a seizure as the muscle effort involved in a seizure is considerable. Are these daily seizures petit mal or grand mal?

Old 07-29-2017, 02:03 PM

1,394 posts, read 1,258,351 times
Stop playing doctor for the dog's sake.
The writing is on the wall please gather the courage to put pup down.
You know it deep in your heart and yes, it suxs, but she is at the end. You will feel better in the end.
Give her the phenobarbital btw. Make an appointment, some vets do euthanasia house-calls, which can be found on Google for your area.
Step up to the plate: you will feel better about yourself and how you didn.t let doggie suffer and gave her a good life. I.m so sorry - been in those shoe many times.

Old 07-29-2017, 02:15 PM

4,504 posts, read 3,030,193 times
There's no other way to put this:

Her time has come to an end.

Do Not Let Her Suffer. She deserves better.

Old 07-29-2017, 04:26 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,042,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsBellaMia View Post
There's no other way to put this:

Her time has come to an end.

Do Not Let Her Suffer. She deserves better.

It is too soon to know this.

It has not even been long enough to know if the meds are going to work.

There have been dogs who lived for years on meds for seizures just as there are dogs who weren't as lucky.

It is not a good idea to jump the gun on euthanasia when no one even knows what is wrong or if the meds are going to work.

Old 07-29-2017, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post

It is too soon to know this.

It has not even been long enough to know if the meds are going to work.

There have been dogs who lived for years on meds for seizures just as there are dogs who weren't as lucky.

It is not a good idea to jump the gun on euthanasia when no one even knows what is wrong or if the meds are going to work.
Agreed. The vet said it's a minimum two weeks to see if the meds work. If they don't then my mom knows what to do.

Old 07-29-2017, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movinon View Post
Does your vet know that she is seizing once or twice within 24 hours? Control is considered to be one seizure per month. Yes, keeping her cool is good. They get hot from the exertion of the seizure and they tend to be body sore after a seizure as the muscle effort involved in a seizure is considerable. Are these daily seizures petit mal or grand mal?
they were petit but were seeing some mal again

Old 07-29-2017, 07:03 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,211,406 times
Sorry....But this poor dog is obviously really suffering. Why not do the humane thing and put her to sleep.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs