Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2017, 10:45 PM

2,527 posts, read 2,775,193 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
they were petit but were seeing some mal again
I'm so sorry to hear that. The grands are very worrisome. We had an elderly dog with heart problems who also had seizures - both petit and grand. Our vet told us that if he had two seizures within five minutes then he needed to come straight into the office. It happened, I took him straight there (only about ten minutes), and by the time he got in the exam room he was nearly gone. The vet took care of helping him the rest of the way. For a dog in fragile condition like yours, frequent seizures put a tremendous strain on the heart.

There are a couple of adages that come to mind regarding end-of-life issues for pets. One is "quality of life over quantity" and the other is "better a day too soon than a moment too late". Do keep those in mind as you deal with this sad situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2017, 06:03 AM

4,876 posts, read 4,201,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post

It is too soon to know this.

It has not even been long enough to know if the meds are going to work.

There have been dogs who lived for years on meds for seizures just as there are dogs who weren't as lucky.

It is not a good idea to jump the gun on euthanasia when no one even knows what is wrong or if the meds are going to work.

While I understand your thought process...have you read the other posts by the OP about this dog? The poor pup is 14 years old. She has many issues and I believe these seizures are the culmination of all of those problems. How long should the dog have to suffer?

Old 07-31-2017, 09:50 AM

4,286 posts, read 4,757,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
Sorry....But this poor dog is obviously really suffering. Why not do the humane thing and put her to sleep.
Agree it sounds like it's time to let the poor thing go and stop her suffering.

Old 08-01-2017, 10:53 PM

4,932 posts, read 12,756,714 times
We upped her meds today but it seems no amount of meds can totally stop her seizures while she is sleeping. we decided to put her to sleep so she at least has a painless death. we heard dogs can sometimes die from a seizure.

thanks everyone who took the time to contribtue to my thread.

Old 08-01-2017, 11:07 PM

2,527 posts, read 2,775,193 times
Quote:
We upped her meds today but it seems no amount of meds can totally stop her seizures while she is sleeping. we decided to put her to sleep so she at least has a painless death. we heard dogs can sometimes die from a seizure.

Thank you for letting us know. I've been checking back here wondering how it was going. As sad as it is, take comfort in knowing that you did the right thing. I'm so sorry for your loss.

Old 08-02-2017, 07:00 AM

4,876 posts, read 4,201,145 times
I'm so sorry for your loss. But you did the right thing and made the final act of love for this poor little girl.

Old 08-02-2017, 08:50 AM

4,286 posts, read 4,757,886 times
I'm sorry for your loss but you did the right thing. She had a good long life with your family.

Old 08-03-2017, 08:02 AM

6,292 posts, read 10,593,345 times
Quote:
Our elderly dog, 14, Princess today had 2 seizures. This is after my parents told me she had one two days ago and didnt do anything.

We took her into the vet today and had blood work done. We got some seizure medicaitons, but they said it will take it a week for it stop the seizures.

Thankfully it was mild and jsut was her head.

She nearly blind. She had blood work a year ago and had x-rays like 3 months ago for a fall she had. I don't think its a brain tumor otherwise it would have shown up.

Anything to calm the dog or help it after a seizure?

The seizure medicine is called phenobarbital.

Thank you so much!
I saw a video of a dog being given cannabis oil, no THC, for seizures and it worked wonders. It works for humans so why not dogs.

Old 08-04-2017, 04:56 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,038,590 times
The meds were not working so you did the best thing left for her.

I am so sorry for your loss, I know how much it hurts.

Old 08-04-2017, 05:16 AM

4,504 posts, read 3,028,946 times
Quote:

Thank you and don't beat yourself up. You absolutely did the right thing. If it's any consolation, many of my dogs have now welcomed your pooch and they are all happy and pain free.

Thank you for letting us know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs