U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-02-2017, 02:49 PM
 
2,391 posts, read 1,222,332 times
Reputation: 5150

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Why?

Some things are simply right or wrong. Breeders are well aware that millions of dog die annually in pounds and shelters, but they don't care. Reputable breeder is an oxymoron.
Yes. I 100% agree.

OP, why the heck are you looking for advice on how to turn into a backyard breeder? For once, I agree with many of the hardcore dog snobs on this site in shouting down this intention. In my opinion, breeding should be stamped out altogether, but if not, STRICTLY limited to a few souls who breed very specialized dogs who are used for work and not vanity/companionship. If there were only a handful of breeders of herding and rescue dogs in existence who had to be licensed and educated before being allowed to breed animals. I would be much happier.

But you are now upset because this dog you "love" is not going to make you enough money. I don't get it. Come up with another business plan and just enjoy your companion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-02-2017, 03:41 PM
 
15,740 posts, read 9,268,213 times
Reputation: 14228
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Every puppy from a breeder means one less spot for a pound dog. Your attack on those who oppose breeding is vile. Millions of us have spent years rescuing unwanted dogs and other pets as well as providing loving permanent homes for them. We can't save them all at once so we do it one at a time.

Any breeder who cares stops being a breeder and rescues dogs. Sadly, I've only met two.
Garbage. Those people buying puppies would not adopt from a shelter anyway. Those pound dogs come with loads of baggage and behavior issues. And when someone wants a puppy, a grown dog just won't do.

For the record, you can breed AND rescue dogs. Many breeders do. Not sure what circles you run in that you've only met 2?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-03-2017, 12:10 PM
 
Location: St. Louis, Missouri
9,355 posts, read 16,862,436 times
Reputation: 11463
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Garbage. Those people buying puppies would not adopt from a shelter anyway. Those pound dogs come with loads of baggage and behavior issues. And when someone wants a puppy, a grown dog just won't do.

For the record, you can breed AND rescue dogs. Many breeders do. Not sure what circles you run in that you've only met 2?

and you think that the poorly bred dogs from moronic, lazy backyard breeders and puppy mills DON'T come with loads of baggage and behavior issues, not to mention health issues, many of which are fatal?? What circles do YOU run in??

trust me, there are THOUSANDS UPON THOUSANDS of puppies in pounds, shelters and rescues if one just MUST have a puppy.....

and don't even get me started on the "designer dogs." Just another way to sucker gullible idiots out of even more money.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-03-2017, 01:51 PM
 
Location: West Virginia
12,450 posts, read 31,562,395 times
Reputation: 8157
Why is it that people Bash Breeder Yet its Not Pounds & Humane Societies full of Purebreds THEY are Full of MUTTS from People Refusing to S/N their Mutts! Cats are being turned away in my area do to Over load of Kittens!

Breeders are Not the problem ... People with Mutts & Cats that Reuses to Spay are the problem!


OP I do hope you contacted AKC & got them to do DNA test for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-03-2017, 02:02 PM
 
Location: Texas
43,576 posts, read 52,749,647 times
Reputation: 70897
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Garbage. Those people buying puppies would not adopt from a shelter anyway. Those pound dogs come with loads of baggage and behavior issues. And when someone wants a puppy, a grown dog just won't do.

For the record, you can breed AND rescue dogs. Many breeders do. Not sure what circles you run in that you've only met 2?
Exactly.
The dog I want or no dog at all.
My purebred dog is not stealing a shelter dog's spot.

Meanwhile, I do volunteer and donate $$ (literally in the thousands) to rescues and our local shelter.
I also support laws abolishing puppy mills and the sale of puppies at pet stores.

I would prefer all breeders be registered and inspected; however, I am not willing to abolish all breeding, as I want a very specific dog bc of the ability to predict its behavior and needs and fit for our family. That FIT (and the fact that our breeder demands the dog back) is what makes it 100% unlikely that one of my dogs will ever be dumped at a shelter.

Our breeder is also very active in rescue AND expects the companion dogs to be spayed/neutered.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-03-2017, 02:06 PM
 
Location: Texas
43,576 posts, read 52,749,647 times
Reputation: 70897
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
This is why people who love dogs do not breed them—ever. It's the same for every breed. Here are just a few of the rescue groups. There are many, many more for just this one breed. NEVER BUY A DOG. Find your new friend at a rescue group, humane society, pound, or just off he street.

Second Chance Poms, Inc.

― Pomeranian Rescue ― ANIMALS FOR ADOPTION ― RescueMe.Org

Home Page OFFICIAL SITE Southern California Pomeranian Rescue

Welcome

Pom To The Rescue
I have always tried our breed-specific rescue before trying to get a puppy.
The fact is they rarely have young dogs, they almost NEVER have puppies, and there are insane internal politics going on that make them impossible to deal with.

I have tried with them first every. single. time. Every. Single. Time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-03-2017, 02:29 PM
 
15,740 posts, read 9,268,213 times
Reputation: 14228
Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
and you think that the poorly bred dogs from moronic, lazy backyard breeders and puppy mills DON'T come with loads of baggage and behavior issues, not to mention health issues, many of which are fatal?? What circles do YOU run in??

trust me, there are THOUSANDS UPON THOUSANDS of puppies in pounds, shelters and rescues if one just MUST have a puppy.....

and don't even get me started on the "designer dogs." Just another way to sucker gullible idiots out of even more money.....
I never said that they should by from a backyard breeder or puppy mill. But in almost every case a puppy purchased from a responsible breeder will have FAR fewer behavior issues than an adolescent or grown dog from a shelter.

What "circle" do I run in where I can safely make that statement? The "circle" that counts responsible breeders AND devoted rescuers as part of that circle. After 25+ years in both circles, most of them on the front lines, I know the reality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-03-2017, 02:37 PM
 
5,483 posts, read 2,364,601 times
Reputation: 15149
$900 for a purebred dog should have been your first clue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-03-2017, 02:38 PM
 
15,740 posts, read 9,268,213 times
Reputation: 14228
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I have always tried our breed-specific rescue before trying to get a puppy.
The fact is they rarely have young dogs, they almost NEVER have puppies, and there are insane internal politics going on that make them impossible to deal with.

I have tried with them first every. single. time. Every. Single. Time.
Oh yea. Have had my share of these folks. We called them "Humaniacs". The result of their antics was dogs NOT getting adopted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-03-2017, 05:35 PM
 
1,177 posts, read 8,086,571 times
Reputation: 905
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Exactly.
The dog I want or no dog at all.
My purebred dog is not stealing a shelter dog's spot.

Meanwhile, I do volunteer and donate $$ (literally in the thousands) to rescues and our local shelter.
I also support laws abolishing puppy mills and the sale of puppies at pet stores.

I would prefer all breeders be registered and inspected; however, I am not willing to abolish all breeding, as I want a very specific dog bc of the ability to predict its behavior and needs and fit for our family. That FIT (and the fact that our breeder demands the dog back) is what makes it 100% unlikely that one of my dogs will ever be dumped at a shelter.

Our breeder is also very active in rescue AND expects the companion dogs to be spayed/neutered.
This would help greatly. Hating breeders and deeming them all bad isn't going to stop the 100 of 1000s of dogs being born that are going to end up in shelters or bred by their new owners (bybs) who's offspring will end up in shelters.

Lobby for change and vote when the laws come in. It's an uphill battle as many mills are licensed and a profitable business. However, laws have been passed that limit breeding and put a big dent into mills (or even put them out of business). Some times it takes years to get a law to pass.

Rescuing dogs helps and helps those individual dogs, but it doesn't stem the influx that needs to be stopped at the source. Byb/mills and the careless owners who buy from them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:30 PM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top