U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2017, 10:57 AM

30,180 posts, read 16,665,894 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
DNA to find out the breed is no more than a parlor game and doesn't mean that much. If you got AKC papers with her, you can report to the AKC that she is not purebred. They will require you to do a parentage DNA, which you will pay for, and they will require a parentage DNA of both the parents, which the breeder will be required to do and pay for. If the papers are falsified, the breeder will lose his AKC privileges.

The size doesn't mean too much since the "Pomeranian" comes in 3 different sizes and poorly bred dogs often do not comply with the breed standard. Besides the Pomeranian, there are the Mittel and Klein German Spitz, three sizes of the same breed of dog.

I guess you didn't know, but the dead giveaway is that no responsible breeder of purebred dogs would have every sold a puppy to any sort of amateur dog owner who had plans to breed her without even seeing her grown and health tested. So, if you buy again, you know that people like the one who sold your dog to you are puppy mills or unscrupulous backyard breeders.

Oh wait, you have plans to be a backyard breeder yourself, without a clue as to what health testing should be done. If you knew anything about health testing or dog breeding you wouldn't be saying the things you are saying.
I agree with the above. Those DNA tests are known to be unreliable.

That said, no reputable breeder will sell you a dog with breeding rights because they don't want THEIR name on any mutt that a buyer intends to breed with.

I've purchased three dogs from breeders. One was a show breeder that I had read about in books; she had a maltese with an undescended testicle that could never be shown; so I bought him for a pet price from a great breeder. A neutering agreement was signed. I basically got lucky because I really didn't know what I was doing.

My second was a Westie that I bought off the internet (before I clearly knew what I was doing) we drove for hours to pick him up . . and he was definitely from a BYB. Love him to death but we were never able to socialize him with other dogs no matter how we tried (puppy classes, agility training, etc).

My third dog - I knew what I was doing. I researched and researched and found a breeder fairly close to me. I visited her home several times before I brought home a puppy. I had to sign a spay/neuter agreement which I gladly did. Her dogs were part of her family, friendly, and loving. I got to see both parents.

No sooner than I brought Lucy home (a yorkie) than my neighbors were wanting to mate their bedraggled yorkie appearing dog with Lucy so that I could 'recoup her price". Needless to say, this was never a consideration.

Small dogs can have complications during breeding and birthing and I knew enough that I didn't want to risk my little yorkie's life only to fill this world with more poor examples of the breed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2017, 07:36 AM

10,342 posts, read 4,898,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
I agree with the above. Those DNA tests are known to be unreliable.

That said, no reputable breeder will sell you a dog with breeding rights because they don't want THEIR name on any mutt that a buyer intends to breed with.

Exactly - we bought a Chinese Shar-Pei years ago when they were first being introduced to this country. We had to sign paperwork saying if we bred the dog we wouldn't change his official AKC name. However, he had a lot of skin troubles and we decided not to breed him and possibly pass this negative trait to any puppies because that was the responsible thing to do. We bought him because we discovered the breed at a dog show and fell in love with them, we didn't buy him with the intention of making money off of him.

He was a great dog, even with the kids, nothing like the Shar-Pei's of today. Even when he went blind from something called Sudden Acquired Retinal Deterioration, he stayed gentle and loving. I was absolutely heartbroken when he died of cancer at 9 years old.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs