Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2017, 11:20 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,593,655 times

Advertisements

This is why people who love dogs do not breed them—ever. It's the same for every breed. Here are just a few of the rescue groups. There are many, many more for just this one breed. NEVER BUY A DOG. Find your new friend at a rescue group, humane society, pound, or just off he street.

Second Chance Poms, Inc.

― Pomeranian Rescue ― ANIMALS FOR ADOPTION ― RescueMe.Org

Home Page OFFICIAL SITE Southern California Pomeranian Rescue

Welcome

Pom To The Rescue

Last edited by Happy in Wyoming; 07-27-2017 at 12:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2017, 11:30 AM

13,926 posts, read 39,275,326 times
The Pap Rescues wanted TWICE what the Breeders wanted... then they put you thru the wringer just at the last min pull the rug out from under you! I will stick with breeders Most are Honest... After all their rep is on the line

Old 07-27-2017, 12:08 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,390,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debby-D View Post
We bought Bella from a breeder who gave us her AKC papers - We paid $900 for her. I wanted a purebred Pom that I could breed and have puppies.
Now 7 months later, she is 14 pounds. We did her DNA test. She is 100% Pomeranian on her mom's side. And on dad's side, his grandmother was bred with a dog that had Pom and Bichon Frieze, Keeshond, and other mixed. The seller gave us AKC papers to fill out and register her. We were guaranteed that she would get to be 7 to 9 pounds max. (not sure how anyone can guarantee anything like size when they really don't know). The DNA results show that Bella has 12.5% Bichon and 12.5% mixed - the Keeshond, Chihuahua, other. For health reasons - she should be very healthy and not have some of the different disease's that Pom's have the tendency to get. Her coat is coming in gorgeous. And she has stunning colors. But a long "Bichon Frieze" body. Her fur is more of that of the Keeshond. I wanted to breed her with other Pom's and raise Pom babies. I don't want to take her to court as I love this dog. I just don't like it that we have gotten taken advantage of - and I don't want anyone else to get taken by this unscrupulous breeder.
When buying a pure bred dog, always do independent research on the pedigree. Many US and overseas breed clubs now have pedigree databases. Some of them are pretty amazing, going all the way back to the foundation stud and bidge (misspelling intentional due to overly aggressive "naughty" word filter).

For breeds that don't have pedigree data bases set up, a good work around is OFA. That is a twofer, you get both the pedigree and the genetic health records.

Old 07-27-2017, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Standards13 View Post
Sigh – I’ve spent most of this afternoon on the AKC website looking up the latest AKC Rally Regulations effective November 1 for an upcoming class that I am going to teach. This is as good excuse as any for a break as I’m going cross-eyed about now.

In less than 5 minutes, I found this:

American Pomeranian Club

This is the parent breed club that the AKC recognizes and will be listed on the AKC website (akc.org). The breed club owns the breed standard and is your first stop for information.

Under the Health tab:

The Canine Health Information Center, also known as CHIC, is a centralized canine health database jointly sponsored by the AKC/Canine Health Foundation (AKC/CHF) and the Orthopedic Foundation for Animals (OFA. The CHIC, working with participating parent clubs, provides a resource for breeders and owners of purebred dogs to research and maintain information on the health issues prevalent in specific breeds.

Pomeranians are a CHIC breed with the following health screens recommended:

• Eye Clearance (CERF Evaluation required for CHIC)
• Congenital Cardiac Database (OFA Evaluation required for CHIC - Recommend followup evaluation between 3 and 5 years of age)
• Patellar Luxation (OFA Evaluation required for CHIC)
• Hip Dysplasia (Optional for CHIC) – (OFA Evaluation)
• Legg-Calve-Perthes (Optional for CHIC) – (OFA Evaluation)
• Autoimmune thyroiditis (Optional for CHIC) – (OFA evaluation from an approved laboratory - Recommend testing at ages 1, 3, and 6 Years of Age.)

Your “breeder” should have provided you with a contract (usually a co-own), CHIC number for both parents, and copies of all health testing (or instructions on how you can look it all up yourself).

Canine Health Information Center

Now, back to what I was originally doing …….

Yep, CHIC is also a good one for health.

Old 07-27-2017, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
The Pap Rescues wanted TWICE what the Breeders wanted... then they put you thru the wringer just at the last min pull the rug out from under you! I will stick with breeders Most are Honest... After all their rep is on the line
Yes, breeders sell to anyone.

Old 07-27-2017, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
This is why people who love dogs do not breed them—ever. It's the same for every breed. Here are just a few of the rescue groups. There are many, many more for just this one breed. NEVER BUY A DOG. Find your new friend at a rescue group, humane society, pound, or just off he street.

Second Chance Poms, Inc.

― Pomeranian Rescue ― ANIMALS FOR ADOPTION ― RescueMe.Org

Home Page OFFICIAL SITE Southern California Pomeranian Rescue

Welcome

Pom To The Rescue
Never? Ever?

Then all breeds would vanish and there would be 100% mongrels.

Mongrels have their place but it's not 100% of all dogs.

Old 07-27-2017, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Yes, breeders sell to anyone.
Hello Mr. Everything is Black and White ...

Not all breeders sell to anyone. Some are very picky about who they sell to.

Old 07-27-2017, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
Never? Ever?

Then all breeds would vanish and there would be 100% mongrels.

Mongrels have their place but it's not 100% of all dogs.
Why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
Hello Mr. Everything is Black and White ...

Not all breeders sell to anyone. Some are very picky about who they sell to.
Some things are simply right or wrong. Breeders are well aware that millions of dog die annually in pounds and shelters, but they don't care. Reputable breeder is an oxymoron.

Old 07-27-2017, 12:53 PM

17,400 posts, read 11,967,439 times
Quote:
Why?

Some things are simply right or wrong. Breeders are well aware that millions of dog die annually in pounds and shelters, but they don't care. Reputable breeder is an oxymoron.
Good breeders care. That's why good breeders always take any dog they've bred back.

And lest you think that those millions of dogs dying in pounds and shelters are strictly because of over-breeding, think again. Most dogs in shelters are not puppies. Rather, they are turned in because of behavior issues, lack of time on the part of their owner, the owner moved to a place that doesn't allow pets, etc.

Good breeders sell good dogs. Good breeders screen their puppy buyers. Good breeders test their dogs for medical conditions that affect their breed. Good breeders don't let their puppies go to the pound.

And if you really think that dogs dying in pounds would cease if breeders stopped breeding purebred dogs, you are mistaken.

Old 07-27-2017, 12:55 PM

10,352 posts, read 7,977,886 times
Quote:
Why?
Because some dogs have a function other than just "pet." And because some people have specific requirements when getting a dog (such as "must have hypoallergenic coat" or "must not grow beyond X number of pounds").

Quote:
Why SHOULD reputable breeders care about what a-holes do? Their decision to breed or not breed has no impact on the a-holes' decisions to not spay/neuter their pets or to go into backyard breeding or to dump their pet the minute it becomes inconvenient. Reputable breeders are not the ones producing the huge number of dogs ending up in shelters. That's on the a-hole owners and the a-hole puppy milers and backyard breeders.

(It's to those breeders' credit that so many of the DO participate in rescue. They didn't create the problem, but most of them still try to mop up after the idiots who do.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs