U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2017, 08:20 PM

31,395 posts, read 19,811,577 times

Advertisements

Our 13 year old Border Collie has been snapping at air all day, a very loud tooth clack. No bugs, non-aggressive, not specific to any activity, and not at me or the puppy. He has been deteriorating with hip arthritis and his front paw has been bothering him with the same.

Anyone have any ideas? I read online that it could be neurological. I'm going to take him to the vet if it continues, but does anyone have any experience with this?
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2017, 09:02 PM

1,184 posts, read 1,056,096 times
My experience isn't identical, although I do have a friend whose dog does exactly what yours does.

My dog, who has idiopathic seizures and is on medication for them, will lick the air for extended periods of time. She puts her head back and just licks upwards although there's nothing there. The vet said it's a form of Petit Mal seizures, as opposed to the Grand Mal seizures which she has occasionally. He's not concerned about the Petit Mal ones and her Grand Mals are considered to be under control thanks to the meds. She's a ten year old Pekinese mix. Her seizures started at age 9.
I have a friend whose one-eyed rescue dog does the snapping at air thing. In his case, the vet thinks it's probably a Petit Mal seizure caused by a neurological issue from whatever trauma caused the loss of his eye. He'd been dropped off at a rescue with extensive injuries of unknown cause so who knows. My friend adopted him after he was recovered. He's a 6 year old terrier mix.

I think I'd sleep better at night if I checked in with my vet, if I were in your situation. Your vet may not consider it cause for concern but it would at least be on record should he progress to a Grand Mal.

Hope that helps. I'll be interested to hear if he continues this behavior or what the vet suggests. Good luck!

Old 07-26-2017, 09:42 PM

15,148 posts, read 19,690,636 times
I second movinon's advice. My mother adopted a mixed-breed dog who would do air-snapping. Sometimes he'd even walk around the room in very slow motion with his head held high, apparently not seeing/hearing anyone and making sniffing/chewing/snapping motions. The vet diagnosed them as petit mal seizures. Since the episodes lasted for only a few minutes each and occurred only 1-2 times a month at most, he wasnt put on any medication. He lived for at least 8-10 great years after diagnosis.

Old 07-27-2017, 12:03 AM

Thanks for your input. I'm calling the vet tomorrow to see how soon I can get him in .

Old 07-29-2017, 08:22 AM

The vet thinks it may be neurological or related to his pain. We switched up the meds for his arthritis to see if that helps.

Old 07-29-2017, 08:45 AM

15,148 posts, read 19,690,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
The vet thinks it may be neurological or related to his pain. We switched up the meds for his arthritis to see if that helps.

Thanks for the update. Please keep us posted.

Old 07-30-2017, 04:40 AM

2,512 posts, read 2,260,449 times
You could pay to have his eyes, checked. Dogs get eye floaters just like humans. If you are not over 60 you may not know what I'm talking about, but they are black floating things caused by the vitreous humor of the eye. When I first got them (or started to notice them) I would occasionally swat at them; however over time we humans get used to them.
Dog will snap at them thinking they are flies, etc.

Not saying that is the problem, and most dogs won't snap at them, but some dogs will. Just another idea.
Interesting article from an actual Vet....
Fly-biting

Old 07-30-2017, 12:19 PM

1,241 posts, read 900,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Our 13 year old Border Collie has been snapping at air all day, a very loud tooth clack. No bugs, non-aggressive, not specific to any activity, and not at me or the puppy. He has been deteriorating with hip arthritis and his front paw has been bothering him with the same.

Anyone have any ideas? I read online that it could be neurological. I'm going to take him to the vet if it continues, but does anyone have any experience with this?
More than likely it is being caused by "pancreas cramps.. This can occur if given say something a bit on the fatty side, or exercise before or after eating ( anything that heats up/slows down digestion ).
What can help is a simple " Tums", and also- change the dog cookies to " Old Mother Hubbard Char tar " cookies. ( the black ones). These are great for absorbing acid, gas etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs