U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-30-2017, 09:42 PM
 
Location: Holly Neighborhood, AUSTINtx
3,582 posts, read 5,310,825 times
Reputation: 2205

Advertisements

Some of this is getting out of hand and is actually more expensive than similar products for human consumption. First two examples are from a local pet store, the first being 3.5 oz of dried salmon tails for $16 and the second being a large(12+ inches) bully stick for $14. Then went to Petco to see dog toothpaste for $8, which was next to a supermarket where the highest price for a tube was $6. I'm sure there are instances where the dog products should cost more, but I think a lot of this is gouging and taking advantage of people only wanting their best for their pets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-31-2017, 12:06 AM
 
Location: on the wind
7,132 posts, read 2,931,643 times
Reputation: 24166
Probably. But, no one is forcing them to buy the expensive products. There are less expensive options.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2017, 05:48 AM
 
Location: The Triad (NC)
28,501 posts, read 62,182,463 times
Reputation: 32182
Quote:
Originally Posted by verybadgnome View Post
...but I think a lot of this is gouging and taking advantage of people only wanting
their best for their pets.
This is gouging and taking advantage of people who have a need to be seen to spend more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2017, 10:40 AM
 
1,021 posts, read 744,521 times
Reputation: 2448
Then don't buy it. Eventually, it will end up in clearance because of inventory or on sale. Or skip all that and provide your own treats. Dogs don't care for fancy dried salmon tails. If it smells like fish, they will love it. Most are not that picky. I don't buy dog treats for that reason. I can pick up a 2 lb bag of carrots from the grocery store for 99 cents, some chicken hearts and gizzards for less than $2.00 per pint or ground beef for less than $2.00 per lb. They get these raw and cooked as treats. They also get parts of any meat and veggies I prepare a meal for that I don't want to include for our food, ie broccoli stalks. It's good for their chewing, their teeth, it's very affordable and the dogs love it.

Anything else that I need from a pet store is coming from Chewy.com.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2017, 11:35 AM
 
Location: West Virginia
12,440 posts, read 31,516,760 times
Reputation: 8140
Price does Not mean the Produce is Top Quality!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2017, 12:20 PM
 
4,039 posts, read 2,618,975 times
Reputation: 8750
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Price does Not mean the Produce is Top Quality!
True but low price does not mean good quality either.

The food and treats coming out of China are cheap but no way I would feed any of that to my dogs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2017, 12:44 PM
 
Location: Middle of the ocean
31,669 posts, read 19,975,978 times
Reputation: 45731
I buy very little at the pet store due to price, but I buy the same stuff on Amazon.
__________________
____________________________________________
My posts as a Mod will always be in red.
Be sure to review Terms of Service: TOS
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2017, 01:21 PM
 
Location: West Virginia
12,440 posts, read 31,516,760 times
Reputation: 8140
That is why they should Read the Labels then decide what is the Best food for the price within their budget. BTW Even food made in the USA Can contain products Imported From China and other countries!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2017, 05:19 AM
 
Location: Canada
1,403 posts, read 850,742 times
Reputation: 4473
Quote:
Originally Posted by verybadgnome View Post
Some of this is getting out of hand and is actually more expensive than similar products for human consumption. First two examples are from a local pet store, the first being 3.5 oz of dried salmon tails for $16 and the second being a large(12+ inches) bully stick for $14. Then went to Petco to see dog toothpaste for $8, which was next to a supermarket where the highest price for a tube was $6. I'm sure there are instances where the dog products should cost more, but I think a lot of this is gouging and taking advantage of people only wanting their best for their pets.
This is also true in the human food/health arena. Walk into any natural food store and take a quick look at the prices on just about any product...while there can be some justification for the inflated costs (less demand than similar, non-organic/non-'natural' items), the cost of many products are grossly, out-of-this-world over-hiked. And similarly, many of the extravagantly-priced items are no better for you than the regular, off the grocery/drug store shelf.

btw, the pet market exploded many many years ago when the trend toward treating our pets more as members of the family than as the family pet was recognized by some business-savvy entrepreneurs. Once this was recognized in the retail market, it became - and remains - a HUGE cash cow for the 'big boys' in the pet industry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2017, 11:15 AM
 
Location: Holly Neighborhood, AUSTINtx
3,582 posts, read 5,310,825 times
Reputation: 2205
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassetluv View Post
This is also true in the human food/health arena. Walk into any natural food store and take a quick look at the prices on just about any product...while there can be some justification for the inflated costs (less demand than similar, non-organic/non-'natural' items), the cost of many products are grossly, out-of-this-world over-hiked. And similarly, many of the extravagantly-priced items are no better for you than the regular, off the grocery/drug store shelf.

btw, the pet market exploded many many years ago when the trend toward treating our pets more as members of the family than as the family pet was recognized by some business-savvy entrepreneurs. Once this was recognized in the retail market, it became - and remains - a HUGE cash cow for the 'big boys' in the pet industry.
This is very true and there is hardly a better way to motivate people to spend more for something that is not any better than guilt and clever marketing. Reminds me of Jerry Seinfeld's Saab mechanic who made him feel guilty for not going overboard on maintenance.

I am going to start avoiding the overpriced local pet store with the expensive salmon and just give my dog the salmon skin that I would discard anyway. I am also going to start questioning/ignoring my vet unless then can, e.g. convince me the salmon oil for dogs is somehow better than the cheaper salmon oil for people. I think the vets of this country play into the hands of the pet manufacturers, and maybe it is our job to counter that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top