U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2017, 09:53 PM

13,591 posts, read 7,424,969 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
she said lotion, not oil
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatsign69 View Post
Nevermind this morning i found 19 chiggers on the bed where she was sleeping only 2 were barely alive.
Last after her bath i put a little bit of peppermint oil on her and i sprayed peppermint oil on the bed.
She said oil in post #4, twice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2017, 06:16 AM

66 posts, read 27,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
You said you put peppermint oil on her and sprayed peppermint oil on the bed. I hope it was heavily dilluted. It is not safe to use pure peppermint oil on a dog
Oh i put it in a spray bottle sprayed a little bit and then i found my peppermint lotion.

Old 08-03-2017, 06:18 AM

66 posts, read 27,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Are you sure they're chiggers? Chiggers are about the size of a dot made by a very sharp pencil -
Yes i research them and i only found 1 alive and it was killed by the oil.

Old 08-03-2017, 09:43 AM

1,705 posts, read 887,948 times
I visited a friend in TN and she talked about chiggers. She put nail polish on her legs to kill them. Yes? No? Can you do that with a dog? !!

Old 08-03-2017, 10:14 AM

10,186 posts, read 4,062,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sollaces View Post
I visited a friend in TN and she talked about chiggers. She put nail polish on her legs to kill them. Yes? No? Can you do that with a dog? !!
No. By the time you notice a bite, the chigger is gone.

Old 08-04-2017, 04:27 PM

30,123 posts, read 47,353,596 times
Dogs can have allergic reactions to the bites of any insect--which can continue long after the initial contact
The bites could also cause an infection from enzymes released by the insect or by the dog scratching/biting the bites...
If your dog is still showing discomfort you want to prevent it from getting any worse

Old 08-04-2017, 04:35 PM

37,130 posts, read 45,653,323 times
Flea and tick medicine doesn't work for chiggers? What does?

Old 08-08-2017, 12:05 AM

18,110 posts, read 22,978,628 times
Are you using Advantage Multi or Trifexis? I'd start there. I always treat my dog, and even when other dogs in the same apartment complex had flea problems, I have never seen one on my dog or in my apartment. They can still be bitten, but then the bug will die. And the bugs will normally go to the dog first, instead of to you, so they bite your dog and die - instead of ending up in your sheets.

It's kind of like the dog becomes the house anti-bug treatment lol - poor dog :-)

But, I'm betting you're not using any kind of effective flea/tick treatment for your dog. And you also need to be using heartworm and other worm treatment, because the bugs carry parasites. The easiest way to cover everything is with something like Advantage Multi or Trifexis.

So, start with using a monthly flea/worm treatment, which you'll probably need a vet to prescribe - if you don't already use one. And forget the flea bath treatments or cheap collars - they don't work well enough. And soap baths are worthless. In my opinion.

Old 08-21-2017, 04:10 AM

16,019 posts, read 19,693,299 times
Yes. I would take my dog to the Vet to make sure it is chiggers, and not something else.

Where is your dog going outside that it is picking up chiggers? Have you thought of spraying your yard. I'd keep the dog out of the grass until you get these bugs eradicated.

Have you researched food grade diatomaceous earth....It may be very helpful to you. How to Kill Fleas and Ticks with Diatomaceous Earth

Be careful with aromatic oils.

Essential Oils: Poisonous when Misused
Toxicity Of Essential Oils
https://www.takingcharge.csh.umn.edu...tial-oils-safe
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or