Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2017, 03:25 PM

28,097 posts, read 29,963,441 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
Okay I don't want to rain on your parade but at 69 years old do you have someone who will take care of your pets should they outlive you? If you get two kittens they could definitely outlive a lot of people your age. Please don't be insulted because it is not my intention. I am 62 and have had breast & thyroid cancer so while I am also looking to get a dog I want something that is at least 4-6 years old. When I adopted Rowan, my cat last year, I adopted a 6 year old for the same reason.
Don't worry, I'm not insulted. My situation is different from yours, and I can really understand why you would want to adopt an older dog. I would too, if my situation were different. My mother lived to be 96; both of her sisters also lived into their 90s. I'm kind of counting on following suit, even though the idea doesn't appeal to me much. That said, I have a younger sister who is a huge animal lover, and two grown kids who also love animals. The three of them all know I would haunt them forever from the grave if they ever failed to take my pets after I died. I am genuinely sorry for your health problems, by the way. I hope you are able to enjoy your next dog for a very long time and that he will provide you with tons of love and comfort!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2017, 01:15 PM

15,218 posts, read 10,315,114 times
Thanks! Doing well so far. Lost both my senior Chihuahuas last year and I was devastated. When I adopted my cat Rowan I made my son promise he would take her or find her a good home and not bring her back to the shelter. She was already adopted and returned twice. She turned 7 in April and I'm hoping I have at least another 10 years left. :-)

Old 08-13-2017, 01:34 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,259,715 times
I rescued a small puppy who was about to be abandoned, and had an older dog and older cats, but several kittens about the same age. Mama cat saw her as another charge, and made sure she was cleaning herself properly and the kittens cuddled up and they slept together. My other dog kept watch and should anyone go after kittens (of either species) he'd bark at them to stop. He still sees it as his job to be cat sherrif, and both dogs go barking after someone who goes after their kitties.

Its so funny watching my smaller girl as she gives herself a good bath just like Mama cat taught her, and she sleeps with the younger cats curled up together. She also used her feet to bat at things and play like cats. She also licks herself clean. I call her and her best friends the dats.

Years ago, we adopted our dog at about the same time we found our cat sitting by the door, half grown kitten. The two bonded instantly, and were best friends. She also used her paws like cats.

They can make a wonderful family especially if they grow up together and just see family.

Old 08-13-2017, 01:58 PM

3,671 posts, read 3,557,269 times
When I rescued my (then) 1 year old Great pyrenees, he instantly got along with my cat. Later, I had 3 other cats,
all of whom the dog became the property of. That's not counting the feral cats and kittens who lived outside, whereas if Leo felt the instinct to chase, I think that's where it really would have kicked in. Not once did he run down one of the ferals we cared for. They were unafraid of him, both cats and kittens.
Yes, pyrs are herding breeds. Leo never tried to chase the cats. He had never met a cat before my cats.
He had also never been trained to work his bloodline, so perhaps that's why I had no problems. The cats regularly crawled all over him, slept in his fur, and drank and ate right out of his dishes with his head in there at the same time.
This is a 120 lb. dog with a jaw larger than a wolve's, mind you. Sweetest breed I've ever had. Looking for another pyr pup right now.

Best dog around cats I ever had. And I didn't get him as an 8 week old pup, but a 1 year old dog who'd never seen a cat in his life.

Old 08-14-2017, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
Thanks! Doing well so far. Lost both my senior Chihuahuas last year and I was devastated. When I adopted my cat Rowan I made my son promise he would take her or find her a good home and not bring her back to the shelter. She was already adopted and returned twice. She turned 7 in April and I'm hoping I have at least another 10 years left. :-)
I hope so too! My best to both of you.

Last edited by Katzpur; 08-14-2017 at 09:46 AM..

Old 08-14-2017, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraDown View Post
When I rescued my (then) 1 year old Great pyrenees, he instantly got along with my cat. Later, I had 3 other cats,
all of whom the dog became the property of. That's not counting the feral cats and kittens who lived outside, whereas if Leo felt the instinct to chase, I think that's where it really would have kicked in. Not once did he run down one of the ferals we cared for. They were unafraid of him, both cats and kittens.
Yes, pyrs are herding breeds. Leo never tried to chase the cats. He had never met a cat before my cats.
He had also never been trained to work his bloodline, so perhaps that's why I had no problems. The cats regularly crawled all over him, slept in his fur, and drank and ate right out of his dishes with his head in there at the same time.
This is a 120 lb. dog with a jaw larger than a wolve's, mind you. Sweetest breed I've ever had. Looking for another pyr pup right now.

Best dog around cats I ever had. And I didn't get him as an 8 week old pup, but a 1 year old dog who'd never seen a cat in his life.
Honestly, the Great Pyrenees has always been one of my favorite dogs, and I hear they're very good with cats. Unfortunately, at this point in our lives, we just need something a little smaller. Too bad they don't make a miniature version.

Old 08-14-2017, 09:45 AM

I appreciate the fact that this thread is still active, because I still am pretty much up in the air as to what I'm going to do. Even though it's probably not going to be until mid-September that I get any new pets (due to a three-day out-of-town trip on September 15-17), it's pretty much all I can think of these days.

I'd kind of like to focus on which I should get first -- the dogs or the cats, and how much time I should give each one to settle in before introducing a newcomer to the family. Initially, I figured that if I brought them all home within a few days of each other, no one would have the upper-hand and assume, "I was here first. I'm boss and you'd better treat me as such." I thought that with all of them being newcomers and all in the same boat, they might all bond better. I've actually been kind of surprised to get so many comments saying otherwise.

I've been thinking that I could probably bring home two kittens at the same time, or even two young cats who were already bonded. Past experience has made me cautious about introducing a new adult into a household with an existing adult. Then I thought I'd wait a short time (as short as I can get away with) and bring in first one dog and then another. We live in Utah, and starting in November, we could potentially have some winter weather. I'm hoping to get already housebroken young dogs (under a year-and-a half old), but if I do have to housebreak them, I'd rather not be standing in six inches of snow to do so. I'd like the process to be completed by the end of October.

Any thoughts?

Old 08-16-2017, 05:19 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,217,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Thank you both. I'll almost certainly be getting puppies, so maybe that will be the key. I really thought that certain breeds were more inclined that way, though. My last cat was raised around dogs. Our Collie couldn't resist herding her down the hall whenever she decided to walk from one room to the other. It was really cute, even though you could tell that she was thinking, "Puh-leeese! I can do this on my own!" We adopted another dog when our Collie died. It was a rescue. I'm not even sure what breed it was, but after a full year of trying to work with her, we had to find another home for her. She was as sweet as could be with other dogs or with people, but she would have killed our cat in a minute if given half a chance. It just wasn't fair to the cat. We got another Collie and a Golden Retriever. She was okay with both of them, but when they died, she said to me, "Mom, please. No more dogs." We had to put her to sleep last week at the age of 22! I miss her terribly, and I miss having no animals at all in my house. Within a couple of months, I'd like to adopt two kittens and two puppies. I just don't want to have to go through what I did with the one dog who was intent on killing or at least maiming our cat, and I don't want my cats to have to live in fear.
Wow. Getting 2 puppies and 2 kittens at once. You are going to be busy.

I think if you raise them together they will be fine, especially since you are looking at smaller breed dogs.

I have had a boxer who lived to be 16+ and our 2 cats were his best friends.

Our bulldog and our male cat are best buddies and have been since we brought our bulldog puppy home 8 years ago. Our male cat was so happy to have a new buddy, he really missed our boxer after he died.

Our female cat, who has since died....never accepted our bulldog because I think she missed our boxer. She never acted mean toward our bulldog, just disinterested. Good luck

Old 08-16-2017, 02:55 PM

518 posts, read 1,052,957 times
I think if you introduce slowly and read up on how to acclimate dogs/cats most breeds will adjust. It takes a few weeks before they all come to terms with living in the same house, but eventually they are part of the same pack in my experience. I was dating someone with 2 old cats and a dog and introduced my two dogs into the house. Took a few weeks to stop the instinct to chase (treats help) and use a lead for a few days when necessary. The two older cats died a few yrs on and then was replaced by a younger cat, so the process had to start over, but was easier the 2nd time around. The cats can take care of themselves when they have to tell them who's boss.

Eventually they all lay on the floor together like pals.

Have you considered Shih Tzu? They are great companions and pretty low maintenance, other than grooming.

Old 08-16-2017, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
Wow. Getting 2 puppies and 2 kittens at once. You are going to be busy.
Probably not all at once, but in fairly close succession. I think we'll probably get two kittens (litter mates) first, let them get settled in and then bring in a couple of young dogs a few weeks apart.

My latest cat did well with the dogs she was raised with from kittenhood, but as she got older, her patience with dogs lessened and her fear of them grew. So I'd like to get the dogs while all four are still pretty young.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs