U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2017, 08:06 PM

18,004 posts, read 22,741,002 times

Advertisements

I used to buy a big bag of used kids stuffed animals for really cheap at a local thrift store. The dog I had at the time loved ripping open stuffed animals and taking out the stuffing. I could get a huge bag of old stuffed animals for around $3.00. My current dog has almost zero interest. But, anyway, check out the thrift stores.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2017, 08:08 PM

131 posts, read 78,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twelvepaw View Post
If I were you, I would teach her to have an "off" switch ASAP.

It is your job to provide her with age appropriate exercise, play, and integrated progressive training. It is not your job to keep her entertained 24/7. Initiate play time and/or walks and/or fun training time, and then let her go to her crate to chill out. Alternately, quietly reward her when she is just hanging out beside you or on her bed.
Oh my, I am so sorry. I didn't mean to make it sound like she was some kind of terror. She's a wonderful dog but she's a pup and sometimes she does things that I would prefer she didn't. I think I'm capable of deciding what is and what isn't my job. When my daughter was a toddler, she often did things I wish she didn't and she turned out just fine.

Old 08-12-2017, 05:04 AM

2,512 posts, read 2,254,960 times
^^ Yes! ^^

Old 08-12-2017, 07:17 AM
KB4

404 posts, read 1,125,290 times
If you are looking for something for the dog to chew on, I would suggest a nylabone, stuffed kong or elk antler. But if you want to play with the dog and tire him out, this flirt pole is great:

https://www.chewy.com/squishy-face-s...e-v2/dp/140527

Old 08-12-2017, 07:42 AM

1,401 posts, read 839,997 times
The Tuffy toys are a great suggestion. My dog is a chewer, and he's had three of these at different times (the gator, the dinosaur, and the pig). They aren't indestructible, but for many heavy chewers I'd say they last at least 6 months to a year, though I would imagine there are some dogs who could go through them faster.

I too buy many of my dog's stuffed animals at a local thrift shop. I wouldn't recommend this if the dog was a chewer who might also ingest the stuffings (very dangerous), but for a dog like mine, he will de-stuff an animal and then leave the 'guts' all over the floor for me to clean up. I try and buy only stuffed animals that appear to be quite well constructed (and aren't filled with beads or anything similar) and have often found that some of the childrens' stuffed animals that I get hold up just as well as the expensive pet-store toys made specifically for dogs. I usually pay about $3 to $4 per toy.

The "on/off" switch that was recommended is a good suggestion. If your dog is quite active (mine is a highly active breed) then teaching her how and when to settle down can be a godsend. Mine has a routine - burn off all that excess energy with outdoor play, then food, and then he knows that it's time to turn down the volume energetically, so to speak. I work from home a majority of the time, and he's content to lie down while I'm at the computer. He did have to be taught this, and it can be a challenge when they are going through their "teens" - that age window your dog is currently at - but once they learn it, it really helps.

Old 08-12-2017, 11:55 PM

1,705 posts, read 871,117 times
I have a labradoodle, too. I get marrow bones from the meat section of the grocery store. I give him two at a time and he loves chewing them straight from the freezer. As far as toys - I hit the stuffed toy section at the resale shop. Ours sells them for $1.00 or under. Just make sure it has stuffing and not the pellets and it's up to you what size and whether it has plastic eyes, etc.. Mine loves stuffies and not tennis balls. Lately he hasn't torn his pets all up but loves to carry them around and rest his head on one when sleeping.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or