Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2017, 10:43 AM
KB4

1,032 posts, read 1,628,759 times

Advertisements

It would be good if you could have a dog trainer observe your dog meeting other dogs. They can also give you pointers on dog body language. Be careful with dog parks, I had a bad experience when I took my recently adopted adult dog there. There was a group of dogs already wired up and playing near the gate and when we entered my dog showed submissive body language which encouraged two dogs to pounce on him. My dog is now afraid of groups of dogs, although he's fine one-on-one. Fear can easily turn into aggression. If you have a friend (or two) with a dog, this can be great for play dates. We will also try a daycare in September. The lady who runs it always tries to have the new dog be there first thing in the morning, before the dogs form a pack.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2017, 07:47 PM

10 posts, read 5,015 times
I would definitely focus on better socializing your dog, but this sounds normal. Remember, it could also be the other dog's problem. I have a 10 year old lab, who is slowing down a bit. He loves other dogs and has to say hi to all of them when on walks, but if they instigate him by barking at him, he will reply and get upset. He is a very good dog and well behaved, although a bit stubborn. And I'm not saying that because he is my dog. He really is good.

My aunt recently got a German Shepard puppy. When we brought them together to meet and her dog jumped on top of my dog's face, in a friendly, playful way. Well my dog didn't like that and barked at her dog, since he is an old man. He's not in the mood to play like crazy.

Just keep meeting other dogs and I'm sure some of them will like how your dog is playing. Doesn't sound like too bad of a situation and it should work out. He just sounds a little too excited and pushy, probably because he doesn't see enough dogs. The more dogs you have him meet, the more he will behave better.

Old 08-19-2017, 01:56 PM

1,727 posts, read 1,977,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan123 View Post
No, it's actually pretty common for dogs not to be dog friendly.

If a dog isn't dog friendly forcing the situation isn't going to help. Also dogs may be fine off leash but not like dogs while on leash. A dog may be fine with other dogs if person X walks it but not if person Y is walking it. Some dogs may be fine with dogs outside of the home but not like them on their turf.

In a perfect world all dogs would like all other dogs but that's not how it works.

One size does not fit all when it comes to socialization.

OP just because your dog is dog friendly doesn't mean you have to let him interact with other dogs at every opportunity. Even if you can read your dog's body language perfectly, it doesn't mean that the other dog will react well. Regardless, I would never let your dog "mount" the other dog.
I will add to this that depending on breed, socialization, temperament, and training not all dogs have great social skills. It may be that one of the dogs just doesn't know how to behave appropriately in a given situation.

Also, if it appears that your dog "doesn't like" another dog it isn't necessarily because of your dog. I have seen lovely sweet dogs who were total social klutzes. I had a great foster dog/border collie who was a huge sweetie, but around other dogs he was like a bull in a china shop. It was sad because he loved other dogs, but he just didn't know how to interact with them. Because of this, he drove my one dog nuts- they had a couple of incidents, and I ended up having to keep them separated. Someone watching that interaction would think that my dog was the aggressor, when in fact my dog was appropriately warning and correcting the other dog.

Contrary to what someone mentioned above, not all dogs like other dogs. Just like people. Some dogs don't like certain breeds, body shapes, play styles, or it could be the humans involved are sending the wrong signals or it could just be that a particular dog isn't particularly social.

I will also add that many dog-dog encounters take place on sidewalks. These encounters are not natural dog-dog encounters. Normal dog-dog encounters involve lots of curving out and away, and approaching nose to butt. Sidewalks tend to force dogs to encounter straight on which is not natural and may increase tension between dogs.

Old 08-19-2017, 03:56 PM

30,286 posts, read 51,795,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan123 View Post
No, it's actually pretty common for dogs not to be dog friendly.
I was just about to say that! My dog is almost 12 years old, and has never been 100% "dog friendly." He's particular about which dogs he's okay with, and by this point I can usually predict his reaction upon seeing the other dog. He is only FULLY tolerant of tiny breeds (like Pomeranians), while he hates puppies and bully breeds, and is indifferent or friendly-ish towards most medium-sized mellow adults. It's a combination of size, temperament, and age that determines his reaction, and I imagine that goes for many/most dogs as well.

OP: The key is to learn how to read their body language, and not only to train them, but also yourself on how to respond accordingly. For example, if my dog tenses up and lifts his upper lip, I immediately LOOSEN his leash (not completely - just the intensity of my hold) and calmly turn him the other way. Tightening the leash and/or forcing them to face the dog will only worsen things, and you could find yourself in the middle of a fight. Also learn to read the other dogs' body language, and again, don't force them to interact. Just like humans, they aren't all going to be friends! But it sounds like your dog is mostly being playful and curious, so with a little practice and private training sessions, I think you'll be fine.

Last edited by gizmo980; 08-19-2017 at 04:12 PM..

Old 08-19-2017, 08:01 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,442,141 times
My shepard mix is friendly towards other dogs in a dog park setting off-leash. But on leash she is a different animal and is obviously in protection mode. I don't let her near other dogs while on leash.

Old 08-20-2017, 05:01 PM

50,115 posts, read 63,506,690 times
What is your dog's history? Mine was a foster, so used to other dogs. If yours hasn't been exposed to other dogs,then I guess a slow and easy approach would be good.

Old 08-21-2017, 12:05 PM

2,039 posts, read 3,271,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorman View Post
NO!!!

Do not take a leashed dog into an off leash dog park. That is a disaster waiting to happen.

This!!!! It annoys me so much when people come in and keep their dog leashed, then wonder why the experience is so negative. Often times, if they can be convinced to unleash, they are quite surprised at how well their dog and the others interact. i also think some people have very little idea of what positive interaction between dogs is supposed to be, and they immediately break up friendly play, which can make their dog wary of other dogs because they sense the owners apprehension regarding the situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
My shepard mix is friendly towards other dogs in a dog park setting off-leash. But on leash she is a different animal and is obviously in protection mode. I don't let her near other dogs while on leash.
Mine are the same way, not necessarily aggressive on leash, but they certainly aren't as friendly and happy go lucky as they are when off leash at the park.

Old 08-23-2017, 09:32 AM

50,115 posts, read 63,506,690 times
Isn't the purpose of a dog park to let your dog run free? Otherwise, what's the point?
I wouldn't take my dog to one. Too much chance of catching something.

My dog gets exposed to a few dogs once in awhile, and it seems to make him happy. I think that's enough. He also has a nice yard, but prefers to potty on the driveway, so I just don't think a dog park would enhance his life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs