U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2017, 09:39 AM

1,409 posts, read 810,058 times

Advertisements

Usually my dog sleeps all thru the night in the other room in his doggy bed...always. Last night I was awakened to find him standing in the doorway of my room staring at me, he didn't have to go and there was no food left out, he didn't appear to be in any pain or anything like that-- he just for some reason in middle of night got up to come and stare at me. I called him over and he wagged his tail then just walked back and went to lay down in his bed. About two hours later while it was only about 5 am still dark out, I had been laying there awake for a short bit and out of the corner of my eye I saw him AGAIN appear standing there just staring at me. I got up and petted and talked to him, he just looked and wagged his tail , again I know him really well and he didn't have to go, and he wasn't in pain or feeling sick or even anxious-- he just simply felt the need to get up twice in middle of night to come and stand there staring at me. It kind of worried me what is he sensing since I'm aware dogs can smell or sense things we can't. Does anyone really think it's possible (like I'm trying to hope) that he randomly after years of always staying in bed all night just got up to come see me for no real reason? Any thoughts or has your dog ever acted in a similar way?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2017, 09:46 AM

10,338 posts, read 4,894,543 times
How old is your dog? Is it possible he was sleepwalking? I had a Chihuahua that would have night terrors and wake up screaming for no discernible reason. Is it possible he was sensing your blood sugar dropping? Do you have diabetes?

Old 08-14-2017, 10:23 AM

13,826 posts, read 18,824,106 times
this will sound weird but my irish wolfhound would take my hand in his mouth and lead me to the living room . well one night he pushed me to the window to find a very sad looking wet kitten on our deck . I brought the kitten in and cleaned it up . the next day this lil girl came looking for the kitten said the cat had escaped because of the storm . I told her to thank my dog because he showed the kitten to me . Every day after that she brought iggie a bone to munch on until she moved . I miss her and iggy everyday . My point being I think your dog is trying to tell you something or he feels or senses something going on with you . Get to a dr and get a checkup because you just never know .

Old 08-14-2017, 10:38 AM

12,478 posts, read 14,968,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mondayafternoons View Post
Usually my dog sleeps all thru the night in the other room in his doggy bed...always. Last night I was awakened to find him standing in the doorway of my room staring at me, he didn't have to go and there was no food left out, he didn't appear to be in any pain or anything like that-- he just for some reason in middle of night got up to come and stare at me. I called him over and he wagged his tail then just walked back and went to lay down in his bed. About two hours later while it was only about 5 am still dark out, I had been laying there awake for a short bit and out of the corner of my eye I saw him AGAIN appear standing there just staring at me. I got up and petted and talked to him, he just looked and wagged his tail , again I know him really well and he didn't have to go, and he wasn't in pain or feeling sick or even anxious-- he just simply felt the need to get up twice in middle of night to come and stand there staring at me. It kind of worried me what is he sensing since I'm aware dogs can smell or sense things we can't. Does anyone really think it's possible (like I'm trying to hope) that he randomly after years of always staying in bed all night just got up to come see me for no real reason? Any thoughts or has your dog ever acted in a similar way?
mine do this when they need to go out to pee or poop.

Old 08-14-2017, 11:23 AM

Phonelady61,

That's what came to mind.. I actually haven't been feeling very well physically for several months but nothing specific like for example a fever, or a lump, or stomach pain-- it's just a feeling of overall fatigue weakness and I can't describe it... I already this morning made an appointment for later this afternoon... come to think of it about two months ago my dog did the same type of thing, just came out to where I was and was staring at me and then planted himself under my chair like guarding behavior which he usually doesn't do..I wish he could talk I would ask him what's wring

Old 08-14-2017, 05:11 PM

1,241 posts, read 908,352 times
Are you sure you were not talking in your sleep or something ?
and for an off the wall question.... is everyone in your family, outside of your home, alright ?

Old 08-14-2017, 10:05 PM

It wasn't that, he sleeps down the hall even if I talked in my sleep that would mean I've done it before and he's never done that-- also I was awake and quietly sitting there in bed when he appeared to stare at me the second time....as far as relatives I'm not sure, if that could be it... I tend to doubt it because he isn't close to those people and he seemed to be focused on me

Old 08-15-2017, 11:40 AM

22,759 posts, read 28,819,735 times
Maybe you have sleep apnea and he came in because you stopped breathing.

It is very possible that he has done this every night forever and you are just now waking up when he does it. Generally a "medical alert" dog will be alerting during the day, not the middle of the night so it is unlikely that the dog is worried about a health issue. Sleep apnea is the only thing I can think of that only happens at night while you are sleeping

Old 08-15-2017, 04:54 PM

I don't have sleep apnea, I do sometimes have some insomnia but am quietly in my room, I wouldve been aware a long time ago if he had done this before because of how I wake up at least twice most nights and also am a light sleeper. There was a couple times recently during the day he came and sat and looked at me, (no food present not begging) then went under my seat and stayed there which he also usually never does. I feel that him coming not just once but twice was his way of emphasizing to me he's trying to let me know something. As far as medical alert dog , he isn't a specially trained alert dog...but dogs period whether trained or not can sense something wrong with their owner so that is mainly what came to kind especially because he made a point of doing it twice

Last edited by mondayafternoons; 08-15-2017 at 05:31 PM..

Old 08-15-2017, 08:58 PM

5,685 posts, read 7,550,993 times
There is another possibility.

Did anyone in your house die recently, or perhaps a pet?
Dogs sense when a spirit, human, or animal is near.

Just a thought.

Bob.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or