U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2017, 07:53 PM

2,402 posts, read 1,644,003 times

Advertisements

My dog is eating and taking walks. When he's not, I'll know it's his time. This is not the first pet I've had to make the decision for.

It isn't his time. When your time comes I hope someone doesn't jump to wrong conclusions about you without all the information as you have here.

Your posts have been unhelpful, ponitificating and quite self-serving.

Old 09-12-2017, 08:02 PM

18,004 posts, read 22,741,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
My dog is eating and taking walks. When he's not, I'll know it's his time. This is not the first pet I've had to make the decision for.

It isn't his time. When your time comes I hope someone doesn't jump to wrong conclusions about you without all the information as you have here.

Your posts have been unhelpful, ponitificating and quite self-serving.
If you were so sure, why post a thread with the title "Senior Dog with Spinal/walking Issue?

I get nothing out of answering your question, where I assumed you actually wanted people to answer you honestly. But, apparently that was not the case.

Advice is not pontification. But, whatever, by the fact that you posted this thread, you know in your heart that it's time to let your dog go. You just apparently wanted people to argue with that, and to argue with anyone who actually told you what you already know. That's sad for your dog, in my opinion.

But, if you were so sure that your dog was fine, and in no pain, I really don't understand why you started a thread with the above title, or wrote your OP the way you did. That's not logical.

Old 09-12-2017, 08:30 PM

I did not start this thread for advice on euthanasia, you missed the point because your opinion and need to be right is more important than my feelings and thoughts. I'm an intelligent and caring animal person and can make my own decisions.

I worry about less informed, emotionally fragile people worried about their pets who get run over by bulldozer posters like you. You are dangerous, IMO and I choose to end this now. Continue on if you need to have the last word, I don't.

Old 09-12-2017, 08:47 PM

18,004 posts, read 22,741,002 times
Quote:
I did not start this thread for advice on euthanasia, you missed the point because your opinion and need to be right is more important than my feelings and thoughts. I'm an intelligent and caring animal person and can make my own decisions.

I worry about less informed, emotionally fragile people worried about their pets who get run over by bulldozer posters like you. You are dangerous, IMO and I choose to end this now. Continue on if you need to have the last word, I don't.
Quote:

Last week I found him with his head and front legs laying down and his hind end in the air. I thought he was being goofy until I realized he couldn't get down without help. He did get up after a while on his own, so I waited until morning to take him to the vet.

In the morning he couldn't get up and didn't want to eat. I put a sling under his back legs to help him get to a standing position and into the car. The vet did a needle test done his spine and found an area that had no response to the needle. He gave him a steroid shot and kept him for the day and gave him a series of cold laser treatments. He walked out of the office when I picked him up, slowly, but walking, and he slept the evening and all night,

The next morning I heard the sound of his toenails on the tiles and he was wanting me to get up and feed him.
I've taken him for two more sessions of the laser therapy and was given Gallaprant, an n-said, for him.

I honestly thought I might have to be making the big decision for him. At his age, I wouldn't have spinal surgery done on him. I feel like we bought some more time. I don't know if the steroid shot did the trick, the laser treatment or a combo of both. Or who knows.

Anyone else have a similar experience or thoughts?
You brought up euthanasia. Your question asked for "thoughts," and I gave you mine.

You may think I'm "dangerous," but I think you are cruel to let this dog keep suffering. I don't care about emotionally fragile people. I care about the animals in their care who may be suffering unnecessarily, and who have the option to stop it and let them go peacefully, where there is no more pain. That is not dangerous or cruel, and in fact is the opposite.

Old 09-12-2017, 09:20 PM

609 posts, read 367,843 times
My neighbors have a similarly geriatric dog, who utilizes a harness like this. I believe it helps with the issues you describe--where spinal issues are limited to one area. This particular harness distributes the weight of the weaker area to stronger areas.

This harness helps their dog move around on their own, without a human lifting them or carrying their front or back half the way other harnesses seem to require. It also has a handle for lifting, which my neighbors use to help their dog get up the first step (I guess after she's inclined, she's able to handle the rest of the steps, but the first step is a problem). Their dog still moves extremely slowly but she's been stable with this level of mobility for a few years now, thanks to this harness.

Old 09-13-2017, 03:36 AM

616 posts, read 301,565 times
Quote:
Why do you want me to kill my dog who has recovered?
Jean..you are in denial...big time. You ask for input...let me give you mine. I just had my beautiful Cardigan Welsch Corgi put down ..yesterday. Approx 14 years old. Spinal issues are common in long back dogs like Corgi. I watched the slow progression of his body failing to support him and allow him to walk...the decline escalated the last few monts. Yes he was on drugs...I even took him to my vet and asked the vet for additional help "knowing" that euthanasia was likely weeks away. It was my last ditch effort to save him. Or prolong the inevitable. Feeding into my denial.

Please be humane and step away from your denial about the situation. Of course it is so hard to say goodbye to our beloved pets. The procedure of euthanasia IS humane and very quick. My boy was finally pain free and relaxed ....in death. I held him...loved on him...and let him go.

I assume that your vet is a good one. They will walk you through the procedure via conversation ahead iof time...and during. This was second event for me to be a part of...at least I was "prepared" having put down my other dog in 2010. Still gutwrenching for your heart. I DID NOT KILL my dog....I eased his transition to a pain free and peaceful end.

This is the first morning without him. Always hard, sad. Tears are falling...

Please....do the right thing. You will have support to get you through it.

Hugs...and I am so sorry that you have to go through this....

Mae

Old 09-13-2017, 01:00 PM

3,938 posts, read 2,558,815 times
It sounds like it's time to do what's best for him. I had a 14 year old GSD with arthritis in his spine. He was eating and waking too but it was obvious that he was in pain despite everything I tried (NSAIDs, Adequan, Glucosamine). I didn't want him to suffer any more and I let him go.

Mae Mae, so sorry to hear about your Cardi. I had to put mine down at 14 too due to spinal issues.

Old 09-14-2017, 04:23 AM

616 posts, read 301,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan123 View Post
It sounds like it's time to do what's best for him. I had a 14 year old GSD with arthritis in his spine. He was eating and waking too but it was obvious that he was in pain despite everything I tried (NSAIDs, Adequan, Glucosamine). I didn't want him to suffer any more and I let him go.

Mae Mae, so sorry to hear about your Cardi. I had to put mine down at 14 too due to spinal issues.

Thank you Rowan.....I am sorry that you went thru this too. It is still very fresh for me but the healing has begun...a few more tears will happen as memory-smiles replace them. I loved my boy! I think he was 13-14...He was a young adutl when I rescued him....had him ten years this month. Peace.
Mae

Old 09-14-2017, 06:12 AM

1,682 posts, read 2,586,825 times
Hi. Two of my Five Dobermans (one still a pup) have "gone down" from Wobblers, a disc disease seen in the breed from their Great Dane ancestors. Had surgery for the first one at Penn. And though I love Penn, I would NEVER do that again because of pain and recovery time.

Now: here is what you might consider if you can find it. My second Wobbler's girl went to a holistic vet who did ELECTRONIC ACUPUNCTURE on her which was simple and painless and, from what I've read, MUCH BETTER than the laser. She was pain free and mobile for an additional 2 and 1/2 years before it reclaimed her, and I had to put her down (which I'm STILL not over). My Point: it's a very wonderful tool to stave off the inevitable in a productive way. ALSO: you might look into THE ASSISI LOOP Assisi Animal Health :: Product Not cheap, but I believe it helped. BUT: they only have so many charges in them, so I did purchase a couple.

I KNOW HOW YOU FEEL! It is very, very difficult. However, look into the things I mentioned and see if they help to prolong your baby's quality of life.

Old 12-15-2017, 09:12 PM

Our story came to an end last week. We had our much loved Springer spaniel, Fergus, put down. He recovered well with Galliprant and a monthly cold laser therapy after his initial onset of not being able to get up, or walk using his back legs.

Our neighbor had remarked on how well he looked lately on his walks. He had another episode of not being able to get up shortly after that, and we knew it was time. We didn’t want him to go into repeated cycles of this. We had an additional three months with him and I’m gratefful for that time. He still had that Springer prance days before the end.

We adopted him through a Springer Spaniel Rescue group, waiting three years after we lost our first Springer. He was three years old, overweight from being kenneled for too many hours each day and was a sad looking dog when we met him in his foster home. He came home with us and has been a big part of our family for eleven years. When we moved near our grandkids, i think he was the happiest with young kids around. They loved him too. He parked himself behind them when they were playing. My oldest granddaughter said he was guarding them, and he was, he loved his family.

I called our vet to let them know it was time. I half expected him to suggest more laser treatments and steroids to bring him around again when we got there. Instead he told us we were giving our dog the best gift we could and that we knew him best. It’s never been an easy decision to make. We didn’t want to give up too soon, nor prolong any discomfort. It’s been a fine line to walk each and every time with our pets.

He was a beautiful dog, inside and out.

younger days

10 days ago, watching out the front door and guarding a sick little boy on the sofa

Last edited by jean_ji; 12-15-2017 at 10:06 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or