Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2008, 02:09 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,402,183 times

Advertisements

FYI BHS, Staffordshire Bull Terriers and American Staffordshire Bull Terrier arent large breeds, theyre medium. I am not sure what you mean by Staffies having "stronger predatory instincts". THat has been discussed over anad over and beaten with a stick and is off topic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2008, 02:44 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,476,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
FYI BHS, Staffordshire Bull Terriers and American Staffordshire Bull Terrier arent large breeds, theyre medium. I am not sure what you mean by Staffies having "stronger predatory instincts". THat has been discussed over anad over and beaten with a stick and is off topic.
Just forget I said it.

I am tired of talking about 'breeds'--certain that they are good dogs. I was TOLD by an animal rescue volunteer that this breed has a strong mouth/jaw --was more of a predator than other breeds. And that I was negligent in allowing my own smaller dog to be around him. I suppose he was Right--others seem to have great respect for him.

I don't believe I have ever posted in the Pets forum--still recovering from negative experiences elsewhere.

I live in Atlanta/home of the FALCONS and have heard too much about animal cruelty. Some of the abused dogs are now in a sanctuary and will be there for the rest of their lives with deep seated fears and physical scars.

**I read the Sticky posted about such discussions. Applaud the Moderators for taking a stand. Shudder to think why it was necessary--I can only imagine.

'Fish?' posted about the Staffordshire Terrier--and posted some things that I found offensive. I did not Negative Rep her, FYI--instead chose to make a post. Doesn't care much for 'small dogs'. Tired of hearing about that--owner of a small dog, myself, FYI. Having some problems with a larger dog, yet I do not 'Hate' the larger dog or his owner.

Felt that I should seek advice and counsel on how to better socialize my own dog.

bhs

Old 03-15-2008, 09:26 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,445,282 times
Let's try to steer this back to the topic at hand. Does anyone else have some advice for the OP?

Old 03-15-2008, 11:39 PM

338 posts, read 1,368,600 times
Fish's post regarding leashed v. unleashed dogs is valid. Even in a local off-leash dog park, some folks at times refuse to unleash their dog, and it causes problems between their dog and the other dogs. The person will try to pull back their dog on a leash with others all around it unleashed. So... yes, if your leashed dog and an unleashed dog come to terms in a heady battle, let your dog's leash drop.

Also, confirm what is leashed/unleashed before you visit a site. I take my pup to a place where half the area is leashed and half unleashed. I take him to the unleashed area to run and play. He bothers no one. A couple of months ago and woman brought her two dogs leashed to the unleashed area. Her dogs barked at mine as they jumped up away from her - obviously trying to play with my pup. She began yanking on their leashes, literally screaming, "Get your dog on a leash!" He was running free off-leash (as the area stated). I just went to my pup, put on his leash, and off we went and left the area. She was in the wrong, but I was not going to put myself or my pup at-risk due to her neglience. I didn't hassle with her - just leashed & left. I would suggest the same - less fuel to the fire, so to speak. I believe she might have called a cop bc I saw one driving up as we were leaving, but they do sit in that area (it's a nice, quiet, scenic spot) quite often! Sometimes, the smarter dog, IMO, is the one that tucks it's tail and leaves.

Do *not* contact the owner.
*If* she contacts you again, then do not offer any additional information beyond what she very specifically asks. Let the owner do the talking. Keep your replies short & simple. Do not defend yourself. Do not agree to anything. If the owner holds you accountable for paying as you had said, then tell them you responded in fear of threat & intimidation and do not intend to pay for anything which is not your responsibility. [So *if* you end up going to court, and the court decides that it *is* your responsibility, she can't later hold that in your face or to push you around. You will have still not paid for anything that was not your responsibility and only paid for what was - according to the courts, if that would end up being the case.]

You did the best you could to control you dog who acted in defense of the two of you, esp. leashed when the other dog was unleashed (whether it's a leashed area or not). IMO you are not liable. If she wants to press charges, even if there were witnesses *there*, she would have had to have gotten the witnesses' info as well (which she probably did not), plus they'd have to agree to testify (unless supoenaed, which would be even more effort on the owner's part), then they'd still be able to be cross-witnessed, so she might end up with them on your side. Then it will be that person's responsibility to prove without a doubt that you were guilty of the alleged act.

*If* you end up going to court, it is possible they could call your dog to be present to demonstrate a response to a small dog or a dog on a leash, but I highly doubt this person is going to make an issue of this. If so, then it is still up to them not only to prove what they say to be true, but to convince the judge to convict you of the alleged act. And if you *do* end up having to go to court, get a lawyer. If you cannot afford one (Att'y assistance used to be called Judicare in some states - like Welfare), ask both the humane society and your county's (or state's) attorney referral system for attorney's with a specialty in animal law and bites. Tell your att'y everything. Tell anyone else nothing more.

I'd suggest laying low a few days or weeks before taking the pup back to the same park. Or find another one to frequent: dogfriendly dot com has a great site where you can find dog-friendly sites - leashed and unleashed. Maybe take a stroll yourself into the park without your pup and see if the other owner is there with their pup doing the same thing with anyone else. I'd just make a note of it - leashed/off, etc. and if there are any problems. Then you'd have a repeat offense on their part to your defense.

Again, unless the little pup was really or severely bleeding, I can imagine once they left, they went home, blew off some steam, and won't follow through to sue you regardless of the "size" of their "bark". Don't worry away today what might not happen tomorrow.

Btw, good call to come to CD for suggestions. Best of everything to you!

Old 03-16-2008, 02:19 PM

253 posts, read 1,053,497 times
I have to strongly agree with the other posts that your dog was NOT at fault,,,,why If the poodle did not run up to your dog barking and threatening it wouldn't of ended up in your dog's mouth would it of??? The owner was responsible to hold onto her dog if it was on her lap.
I think a good question for the owner is: How many times have you allowed your dog to try to attack another dog when you're with her??? Size doesn't matter in this instance, I know my dog would instinctively feel that it was protecting our space when another dog rushes at us..

Old 03-16-2008, 02:24 PM

Wow.
Previous poster seems to be 'blasting' OP/people with small dogs.

Moderator cut: edit

Last edited by riveree; 03-16-2008 at 08:41 PM.. Reason: off-topic, and yes, there has been a change in rep

Old 03-16-2008, 05:48 PM

253 posts, read 1,053,497 times
I am not trying to blast anyone with small dogs, I've owned them and love them all,,,,all dogs. I am only saying that if an owner does NOT have a dog leashed, but on her lap, she must feel very sure of her control of the dog (BIG or SMALL), so she is responsible for the dog's actions. Would you let your dog sit on your lap and then jump off and run into the street, and yell at the driver of the car that ran over it??? This is almost the situation we're discussing here.. I think its unfortunate that the little dog got hurt, but I feel THIS little dog's owner was more to blame than the dog that bit her. That's my opinion and you're welcome to ignore it, but don't try to twist my words to fit your agenda, whatever it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhs119 View Post
Wow.
Previous poster seems to be 'blasting' OP/people with small dogs.

Moderator cut: edit

Last edited by riveree; 03-16-2008 at 08:41 PM.. Reason: edited...see above post

Old 03-17-2008, 08:00 AM

4,279 posts, read 10,359,559 times
lindalou 222, hope everything is calming down some for you. It doesn't matter what the size of the dog was/is. Like a lot of the posters have said your dog was leashed and the other one wasn't and was also the aggresor.

Hope you let us know what the outcome was. Keep your chin up and good luck.

Old 03-19-2008, 08:46 AM

265 posts, read 1,292,034 times
lindalou222, moving forward, you might want to consider a gentle leader, which is a head halter device that allows for a lot more control over your dog than a regular collar, pinch, or prong. Additionally, it's humane. If you have one on and an off-leash dog approaches (big or small, irrelevant), you can easily turn your dog away and keep moving. Good luck.

~PudelPie

P.S. I share Riveree's opinion on calling and acknowledging etc.

Old 03-19-2008, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanwalt3 View Post
I am not trying to blast anyone with small dogs, I've owned them and love them all,,,,all dogs. I am only saying that if an owner does NOT have a dog leashed, but on her lap, she must feel very sure of her control of the dog (BIG or SMALL), so she is responsible for the dog's actions. Would you let your dog sit on your lap and then jump off and run into the street, and yell at the driver of the car that ran over it??? This is almost the situation we're discussing here.. I think its unfortunate that the little dog got hurt, but I feel THIS little dog's owner was more to blame than the dog that bit her. That's my opinion and you're welcome to ignore it, but don't try to twist my words to fit your agenda, whatever it is.

I lost a pet/small dog once because I was negligent. I did appreciate the one person who stopped to say, 'I'm sorry for your loss.'

Once upon a time an incident such as this would have been handled without having to involve the legal system. Times certainly have 'Changed'; not lovin' all aspects of Change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs