U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2017, 05:46 PM

4,706 posts, read 10,130,741 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhureeKeeper View Post
My dogs would freak out when the power went out because my house alarm and some of the smoke alarms would start chirping.
That is what I had always thought in the past that the chirping smoke alarm bothered them but this time it did not chirp even once.
As far as picking up my responce and theirs being a learned thing... the thing is that thunder doesn't bother me and I have never even had to jump up to close windows during a storm as we get so few storms that when are do get them we know in advance so no last minute running around Having grown up in the Midwest where they do gets big storms I really have never been worried about ours and rather enjoy them. Same with power outages they have never bothered me as I sort of enjoy the quiet and know where flashlights and candles are so do not even run around looking for them.

My condo is in the foothills and the only things around are the county buildings below us which are empty by 5 PM and the jail is not far but no weird noises from there.Ok there are always weird noises from tbe jail but that is 24/7.Both the jail and county buildings had power as the county has huge solar panels on another hill that provides them power so they are not on the grid we are on and had power.

Dazzle was not as upset as Chaos so he could have been reactioning to her.But I still do not see her behavior as a reaction to mine as I was laying on the couch taking it easy and did not say a word until she landed on me.Then I said a few words as I am a week post op and she landed on my incisions. ...ouch!

The only one I had that never was bothered by either was Phoenix as she lived in her own quiet deaf world .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2017, 07:33 PM

12,388 posts, read 31,357,488 times
Nope my dogs are ok when power goes out...

BUT How could you watch a Movie when the powers out?? Where I live when the power is out it Out for Businesses too!

Old 08-24-2017, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Nope my dogs are ok when power goes out...

BUT How could you watch a Movie when the powers out?? Where I live when the power is out it Out for Businesses too!
I was watching the movie as the power went out after it went out no more movie. SCE had said the outage would be sometime between 8PM and 4 AM and it ended up starting about 9:00PM . If you are asking how I could have gone to a movie well that would have been because the work they are doing was only on the grid to the area I live most of the nearby neighborhoods did not have a power outage . SCE is updating the grid and doing it in small sections at a time so last night was our area tonight will be some other neighborhood.

Old 08-24-2017, 08:18 PM

Our electrical wires, Cable and TV are all underground so often the areas that have above ground lose power but we have ours. I do not know exactly where the work was being done but maybe it was down the hill and being underground there were noises being transferred uphill that I just did not hear? Or maybe my dogs have all been weird freaks

Old 08-25-2017, 06:54 AM

16,722 posts, read 14,615,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashdog View Post
That is what I had always thought in the past that the chirping smoke alarm bothered them but this time it did not chirp even once.
Off-topic, but please check the battery in your smoke alarm. That's an indication that it's dead.

Old 08-25-2017, 09:09 AM

965 posts, read 500,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashdog View Post
Our electrical wires, Cable and TV are all underground so often the areas that have above ground lose power but we have ours. I do not know exactly where the work was being done but maybe it was down the hill and being underground there were noises being transferred uphill that I just did not hear? Or maybe my dogs have all been weird freaks
Ha! Yes, weird freaks, jk! As my dogs got older they would react to sounds that I had to stretch my brain to understand existed. I would bet it is so quiet at home that they hear/ feel other sounds. Kind of like my grandmother and her hearing aids. By the time she got them she was so used to not hearing, that she could hear the clock tick, and gravel under her tires (she hated it).

It seems herding breeds, and dogs that use sight more than sound are particularly vulnerable - just IME. My heeler x was so bad, even when she was deaf at 17.... she felt things the others didn't. And I had a heeler that wouldn't settle before an earthquake, none of us - including the 2 other dogs had a clue that was coming!

Even now, I have 3 younger, and not sensitive to thunder (except to cuss at it)... they will come running to me if the lights go out. They are silly excited, because they "know it is something", but they KNOW it means something when everything goes quiet.

Also, like you I don't freak out about that stuff, I am used to it, and am prepared knowing where my flashlight is, etc.... no freaking out even over earthquakes when in CA. They don't feed off of you when they are already beside themselves. I wish! If so my old heeler x could have been comforted.

Old 08-25-2017, 02:26 PM

2,512 posts, read 2,255,873 times
Although my dogs have never reacted to a power outage like I stated earlier; IF my alarm went off with a power outage, they might. However, my alarm does not go out with a power outage since it has battery backup it just sends me a text message to tell me power has been removed. If I am not home, I can send back to cancel or leave it on cause if a circuit is opened it will still send out an alarm to the cops or fire up to 24 hours after losing power.

As for underground wiring. I have that too, but all underground wiring is served by overhead wires somewhere in the circuit. For me it is about a mile away on a major highway, accessible by drunk drivers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or