Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2017, 09:33 PM

1,246 posts, read 1,300,527 times

Advertisements

Fire Drill training your dogs :
I wanted to share this for those that have not thought about/trained their dogs what to do in a fire.

I fire drill train my dogs- teach them that if the smoke detector goes off on what exactly they are to do.

Many times pets panic in a fire- hiding under a bed etc. Praise God we have never had a fire- we have taught our dogs what to do in the event of an alarm/emergency. I thought I would share this.
This takes two people at first to start.

First of all- if you have an alarm company- call the company and tell them you are going to be testing the alarm for fire drill training.
First person goes to the fire alarm while second person goes to the most common used door with treats. First person pushes the test button- dogs usually jump up- and 2nd person calls them. ( I use the word " cookie" ). Big happy time- treats all around with lots of " good dog etc ".

Wait some time- and do it again- .. Again- just exactly...

Wait another time ( all in the same day), and do it again- by this time- the dogs have figured it out pretty quick and run to find person number two. This time your voice should be Louder as remember- in a fire- there is alot of noise but make it a happy voice.. but LOUD !

To complete the test- slip on slip leads- and leave the house- or open the door into the fenced yard- whatever applies to your place.

Drill this once in a while. And- if Ever your smoke detector goes off when you are cooking- securing the cooking but also immediately call the dogs to the exit door.

As you drill this test- go to different doors or rooms..
And one final thing- if you ever replace a smoke/fire/CO2 alarm- drill this as each alarm to a dog can sound slightly different.

I am reminded of this as today we bought new smoke/CO2 detectors for the house. We did the fire drill with the new alarms. Two were confused the first time- but got it the second time in memory association.
Just a friendly reminder.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2017, 12:19 AM
ZSP

1,765 posts, read 5,119,709 times
Great post. I think it's a very smart thing to do.

Old 08-25-2017, 12:31 AM

13,926 posts, read 39,288,552 times
Service Dogs are Trained for this... Remember the Guide Dog that Saved All those people!! He was able to do this cause he was Trained to bring his Blind person out of a Fire!!

OP just buy a cheap battery operated smoke alarm.... enjoy the training

Old 08-25-2017, 06:04 PM

1,246 posts, read 1,300,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Service Dogs are Trained for this... Remember the Guide Dog that Saved All those people!! He was able to do this cause he was Trained to bring his Blind person out of a Fire!!

OP just buy a cheap battery operated smoke alarm.... enjoy the training
My dogs are well trained for this. I have 7 dogs- 6 Borzoi and one greyhound. Have had dogs my whole life- all 50 plus years...
I have been doing this training for about 12 years... Always keeping them ready if God forbid.. It also teaches them to come to you if something else- you have to have the pack now.. NOW ...

Old 08-25-2017, 07:29 PM

32,638 posts, read 48,005,355 times
My guys are trained so I can just open the door and they all run to the car. I suspect that if we are evacuating, we might be in a hurry.

Old 08-25-2017, 08:01 PM

1,664 posts, read 1,916,338 times
A little OT but when I lived in SOCal, I was in a high fire area. My truck was never un-hooked from my horse trailer and always aimed at the alley gate.

I had monthly fire drills with my three horses. They knew what "get up in there -- hurry! hurry!" meantamd would self load. They all knew their spot in the trailer.

My three dogs knew what "get in the truck" meant. The cat would have ended up in the back of the truck.

Thankfully I never had to put the drills to real use.

Old 08-25-2017, 09:21 PM

3,671 posts, read 3,555,450 times
This is a great thread to add to the Pets forum. Thanks for thinking of it. Hope all will read and heed.

I teach all of my pets, including the cats, to come when I wave my index finger at them...the same thing we do as humans to one another when you want someone to come to you. I make no noise, just the motion. They all learn it.
I guess I teach them this because in the back of my mind, if I need to be in a silent situation, I can 'call' my pets to me.
But I love the idea of the loud, scary smoke alarms. I'll have to do this. Wonder how well cats react to that. I might end up looking like one of Freddy Kruger's victims...

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs